PDA

View Full Version : Chain Gang

Pixx
25-06-2007, 11:53 AM
What do you all do about your chains? Apart from those of you with Scott-oilers. There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinion about cleaning and lubing chains, from just WD40 (can't believe that that's ok!) to removing chain and soaking it in paraffin every 200 miles. I need some advice please.

scrapps
25-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I just spray mine with chain gel before i go on any long rides and check regular. found chain gel better than chain oil. use best bike specific product you can get/afford . never had any problems

Seb_uk
25-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I use Wurth high performance dry chain lube - brilliant stuff & it seems to minimise the amount of crud your chain picks up + keeps it looking pretty clean. I also clean the chain every few weeks with Wurth brake & chain cleaner (try and keep it off your tyres though with some newspaper or similar,as chain cleaners can temporarily stain yout tyres brown, as I found out whilst using some Motrax stuff the other weekend - not recommended!)

squiffything
25-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I tend to flush mine after each use as if not the brown stains become horrible and it gets a bit smelly......

Erm I don't think you and I are talking about the same chain are we......

Seb_uk
25-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I tend to flush mine after each use as if not the brown stains become horrible and it gets a bit smelly......

Erm I don't think you and I are talking about the same chain are we......

:)

Not sure if using domestos and a loo brush on the bike would be a good idea though.......!

Pixx
25-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Talk about lowering the tone!

Pixx
25-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I just spray mine with chain gel before i go on any long rides and check regular. found chain gel better than chain oil.

I've never even heard of gel! Where do you get it?:confused:

Zimbo
25-06-2007, 10:33 PM
WD40 is good for cleaning, not for lube though, it's a solvent not a lubricant. Wurth Dry stuff is the one to use in my opinion.

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2007, 12:02 AM
I clean mine with WD40 and a toothbrush, then 'rinse' with clain cleaner to give it all a good clean off, then give it a liberal dousing of the Yoshimoto Gold type stuff.

It doesn't take as long as you think and it lets me have a good inspect of the chain for stretching, cracking and loosening plates whilst I'm doing it.

Pixx
27-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Thank you all: the dry stuff sounds good as I can't imagine that there's much to attract dust etc, or to be flung everywhere.

scrapps
27-06-2007, 02:34 PM
chain gel is made by silcolene. and is made for bike chains. also do chain oil but a bit messy. the gel stay put better.. never found the need to keep cleaning chain as cleaner may stay on chain and compromise new lube. :worried:

Pixx
27-06-2007, 06:18 PM
never found the need to keep cleaning chain as cleaner may stay on chain and compromise new lube. :worried:

I like the sound of that: very pragmatic!

The Kevlar Kid
27-06-2007, 09:59 PM
You need to clean the chain really, as whatever you put on there attracts dust and grit - this then acts as a kind of grinding paste between the links, which is obviously not good for the chain. This goes for the scotoiler brigade too.

The chain cleaners evaporate very quickly once the excess has drained off (like brake cleaner) so ther's no worry about it compromising the new lube. Sounds more like an excuseto get out of a bit of graft to me ;) :p

Cleaning the chain isn't just about making it look pretty...

Pixx
28-06-2007, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=The Kevlar Kid;212680]You need to clean the chain really, as whatever you put on there attracts dust and grit - this then acts as a kind of grinding paste between the links, which is obviously not good for the chain. This goes for the scotoiler brigade too.QUOTE]

So what do you use?

markus
28-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Whilst on this subject - Even though i Lube my chain regularly (hell i even clean it once in a while) I've started to notice I have a few stiff links tyhe chains only done 7000 miles is it time for a replacement??? and how dodgy is it to run the bike for a few more weeks like this?

Sorry Pixx wee hyjack of your thread here...

Pixx
28-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I did notice!
and it's VERY VERY VERY dodgy! Could leap off the sprocket at any rough changedown. What do you use to clean and lube your chain (so we can all avoid them).

scrapps
29-06-2007, 10:38 AM
You need to clean the chain really, as whatever you put on there attracts dust and grit - this then acts as a kind of grinding paste between the links, which is obviously not good for the chain. This goes for the scotoiler brigade too.

The chain cleaners evaporate very quickly once the excess has drained off (like brake cleaner) so ther's no worry about it compromising the new lube. Sounds more like an excuseto get out of a bit of graft to me ;) :p

Cleaning the chain isn't just about making it look pretty...

I agree That a chain needs to be cleaned but not more than once a year when doing winter service and maint, its not being lazy just lube it regular keep it adjusted and go out and ride :spin: .. i would rather be out on bike than waiting for my chain to dry out and new lube to soak in :worried: :p

The Kevlar Kid
29-06-2007, 11:25 AM
i would rather be out on bike than waiting for my chain to dry out and new lube to soak in :worried: :p

Excuses, excuses, excuses ;) :p (just pulling your leg)

I probably clean mine about once a quarter (which I'm sure some on here will tell me is less often then I should - and I agree with them). Twice a year it gets done as part of the service schedule, the other two times will be after I've come back from a ride (whilst it's still warm) before its put away for the night.

It takes 0.5hour to do a decent job, and the lube settles in and dries overnight - no inconvenience. Chain tension checked and adjusted etc whilst doing it. A little mechanical sympathy goes a long way...

As with everything, people have thir own scedules and ways of doing stuff, just remember if something snaps, fails etc - don't moan about it too much if you could have looked after it better.

Two most important parts on your bike - Chain, then Tyres, brakes etc are third (although obviosly stopping is good :twak: )

scrapps
29-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Maybe it just me,:scratch: i just like to ride and not so keen on cleaning, 1-2 times a year is plenty for me. and yes you don't want your chain to brake when going fast or slow,can be very dangerous... and yep brakes are good. a must have..