PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Method of Raising Ride Height?

eonan
21-06-2007, 06:52 PM
The answer to this is likely to be no, but here goes anyway :)

What I need to know is…is there any way of increasing the ride height on an older (hooped) Monster…other than adjusting the ball joints on the ends of the hoop?

The reason I ask is this. Have a look at the photo. It shows the position of the base of the shock in relation to the swing arm. In order to get the shock to fit, the adjusters on the hoop have had to be set to their lowest point, ie. screwed nearly all the way in.

As it stands, the angle of the swing arm cannot be lowered any further, as the arm at that point shown in the picture will pivot up and become obstructed by the base of the shock.

Now I don’t want to grind out a section of the arm, and I don’t want to change the shock…so…is there perhaps another way of doing it?

As always…thanks in advance :thumbsup:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/eonan/gap1.jpg http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/eonan/gap2.jpg

Shandy
21-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I think, but i could wrong, you can by adjusting the big nut on top of the spring of the shock to adjust the ride height a bit. My Nitron shock came with a special spanner to adjust it.

eonan
21-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I think, but i could wrong, you can by adjusting the big nut on top of the spring of the shock to adjust the ride height a bit. My Nitron shock came with a special spanner to adjust it.

This is only way I could see of doing it mate, but unfortunately the length of this particular shock is non adjustable :(

Scotty
21-06-2007, 08:20 PM
can you not put the shock in upside down for more clearance ?

eonan
21-06-2007, 08:47 PM
can you not put the shock in upside down for more clearance ?

Even thought of that too...but the way the shock is designed, there would be even less clearance having it upside down :(

Scotty
21-06-2007, 09:29 PM
can you not get the top rocker bit off another bike thats slightly different in length ?

Pedro
21-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Eonan

what ever you do to change either the hoop or the rocker, the swingarm will still pivot further down causing the clash.

How much would you need to take off the swingarm for clearance? A few milimetres shouldn't hurt

Ped

eonan
21-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Eonan

what ever you do to change either the hoop or the rocker, the swingarm will still pivot further down causing the clash.

How much would you need to take off the swingarm for clearance? A few milimetres shouldn't hurt

Ped

I think you're right mate...it's really the only solution isn't it. It probably wouldn't be that much, so maybe something to try during the winter. I'll be bloody lucky if I get to ride it before then anyway :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Do you (or anyone else) know whether the arm cross member at that point is solid, or walls with a cavity?

JMo
22-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I have to ask why you want to do this anyway???

Surely the range of adjustment (on the hoop ball joints) is enough to dial in the correct riding set up, if not, just drop the forks through the yokes a bit... or are you building an off-roader???

I wouldn't start grinding away at the swingarm just to fit a particular shock - if you have to, get another shock that fits properly (and can be adjusted using the preload ring) if the easiest and safest method...

Judging by the pictures (top work fella btw.), a few more quid isn't going to hurt the build budget x

xxx

eonan
22-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I have to ask why you want to do this anyway???

Surely the range of adjustment (on the hoop ball joints) is enough to dial in the correct riding set up, if not, just drop the forks through the yokes a bit... or are you building an off-roader???

I wouldn't start grinding away at the swingarm just to fit a particular shock - if you have to, get another shock that fits properly (and can be adjusted using the preload ring) if the easiest and safest method...

Judging by the pictures (top work fella btw.), a few more quid isn't going to hurt the build budget x

xxx

JMo, the hoop ball joints are currently screwed all the way in. I can't add any more height by screwing them out for the reasons mentioned above. Basically the bike is at its lowest possible setting, and I'm 6ft 4"! As for the shock, it is specifically for this bike. To be honest I was having exactly the same issue with the stock shock. The stock shock was 10mm shorter than the Bitubo, which was why I was able to screw the ball joints out by about 10mm. But that was the most I could manage before the arm fouled the base of the shock.

I don't understand why this should be. Its a stock engine, frame, swing arm and rocker. Even Rich from Lougi Moto (I first came accross the problem when I tried to fit his jack up kit) had never heard of anyone experiencing this problem before.

Any ideas?

Actually I've just found a picture I took way back when I was having the same problem with the stock shock. You can see that by adding any further ride height, the arm will foul the base of the shock. Like I say...everything here is stock.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/eonan/clearance.jpg

Scotty
22-06-2007, 03:24 PM
you cant spin the shock 1890 degrees can you i wouldnt have though it would be different front to back but cant see in the pic's #:?

eonan
22-06-2007, 06:43 PM
you cant spin the shock 1890 degrees can you i wouldnt have though it would be different front to back but cant see in the pic's #:?

Its the same all the way around Scott :(

JMo
22-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't understand why this should be. Its a stock engine, frame, swing arm and rocker. Even Rich from Lougi Moto (I first came accross the problem when I tried to fit his jack up kit) had never heard of anyone experiencing this problem before.

Any ideas?

Yes I can see what you're saying... and it is indeed a mystery - I was going to suggest the rocker might be a different length, but you say that is standard monster - presumably all the bits are from the same bike originally?, and was it all ok before you rebuilt it? - did you have a degree of adjustment on the ball joints before?

I recall you also had the problem with the 15 tooth sprocket fouling the end of the swingarm too? - It's almost as if the engine cases have shrunk! (sorry, not wanting to sound facecious).

The only thing I can think of is if the original bike (presumably you bought it secondhand) was actually made up of a mix of SS, 851 and Monster bits at some point?, and perhaps some of those, though visually almost identical may have slightly different dimentions? Perhaps someone can advise, or you can cross check with the on-line parts fiche?

Otherwise I'm scratching my head with the rest of you - the only other lankies I know of with your style of suspension are Pedro and Shandy - and I know Pedro has already made some suggestions, hopefully they can help more?

xxx

eonan
22-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes I can see what you're saying... and it is indeed a mystery - I was going to suggest the rocker might be a different length, but you say that is standard monster - presumably all the bits are from the same bike originally?, and was it all ok before you rebuilt it? - did you have a degree of adjustment on the ball joints before?

I recall you also had the problem with the 15 tooth sprocket fouling the end of the swingarm too? - It's almost as if the engine cases have shrunk! (sorry, not wanting to sound facecious).

The only thing I can think of is if the original bike (presumably you bought it secondhand) was actually made up of a mix of SS, 851 and Monster bits at some point?, and perhaps some of those, though visually almost identical may have slightly different dimentions? Perhaps someone can advise, or you can cross check with the on-line parts fiche?

Otherwise I'm scratching my head with the rest of you - the only other lankies I know of with your style of suspension are Pedro and Shandy - and I know Pedro has already made some suggestions, hopefully they can help more?

xxx

Hey you're not being facecious at all, don't worry! It really is weird, and I'm afraid I began tearing it apart as soon as I got it, so I have no idea whether it was always like this or not.

Yes it was second hand, with full history...2 previous owners. Although the first owner had thrown a king's ransom at her with trick parts, I very much doubt that anything to that degree had been changed. I mean, what could have been changed? The engine and the frame must be original surely? As for the ali swing arm, it looks just like the one that should be on a M900. Are there other arms from other models that are almost the same as the stock Monster ali arm?

JMo
22-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I mean, what could have been changed? The engine and the frame must be original surely? As for the ali swing arm, it looks just like the one that should be on a M900. Are there other arms from other models that are almost the same as the stock Monster ali arm?

Well, it's not unknown for people to swap engines - do the numbers on the log book both tally up? Mind you, I always thought the engine casings overall dimentions/geometry were the same though?

As for the swingarms, I know the ST4 and later Monsters have the same (or at least visually similar) swingarms, not sure about the earlier bikes though - 851s and earler SS's? (I know the more recent SS have a completely different swingarm and shock position to the Monster...)

Hopefully someone with a 'My first Ducati' annual will be along to suggest what may have happened somewhere along the line?

Sorry I can't be of more help ol' chum...

xxx

eonan
22-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, it's not unknown for people to swap engines - do the numbers on the log book both tally up? Mind you, I always thought the engine casings overall dimentions/geometry were the same though?

As for the swingarms, I know the ST4 and later Monsters have the same (or at least visually similar) swingarms, not sure about the earlier bikes though - 851s and earler SS's? (I know the more recent SS have a completely different swingarm and shock position to the Monster...)

Hopefully someone with a 'My first Ducati' annual will be along to suggest what may have happened somewhere along the line?

Sorry I can't be of more help ol' chum...

xxx

Thanks mate :)

I had the engine and frame numbers checked out with Ducati UK when I bought it...they're as they should be.

Maybe someone out there has an ali swing arm I could compare dimensions with? Anyone?