PDA

View Full Version : Anyone round here got the S4R Testastretta ?

J.P
21-06-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking of giving one a test drive this weekend and just wondered if anyone had had a go and what they're like ?

JerryXt
21-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I've got the rs. From memory the only difference is the suspension, so that aside, it's going to be similar to mine.

Engine - fantastic so far (running in still - 6000 limit). BIG rush as the revs pass 5000.
Brakes - steady! Don't use too much first time out. They are REALLY strong.
Cornering - excellent.
Noise - rattly cold, booms like a ducati, but the exhaust is much too quiet.

Apart from the brakes, the only thing to watch is the front end. If you use too much right wrist, you'll be seeing a lot of the sky.

Yeah, forgot, clearly it's geared to do 150mph so you will be going a lot faster if you ride by the rev counter.

Where are you riding it? If you go to Metropolis, say Hi to Damiano from Jerry. Nice bloke, shame about the rest of the organisation.

J.P
21-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks, I was going to drop by Damiano to test one but they haven't got a demo bike and he's no idea when, so I've found P & H down near Gatwick to try out.

Overtaking must be a breeze on it right ? Maybe it's just my expectations but I thought my 695 would blister past traffic and make quick, safe overtaking easier, but I'm finding I'm having to work the bike more than I expected.

JerryXt
21-06-2007, 01:35 PM
:spin: Overtaking must be a breeze on it right ? ...but I'm finding I'm having to work the bike more than I expected.

Oh yes! It will be MUCH easier to get past anything this side of an EuroFighter :devil: It pulls well from 4K, but anywhere from 5K is best. The brakes scrub off excess speed very quickly so no fear of running into the back of the car in front. The howl from the airbox - even the standard one - is just glorious! Completely addictive! BIG grins.

Watch the front in first and second too. Picasso drivers go white when you go past on the back wheel :spin:

J.P
21-06-2007, 01:58 PM
And I bet I would too !

Thanks for the comments Jerry.

JerryXt
21-06-2007, 02:11 PM
no worries. Have fun, be safe.

cooper61uk
21-06-2007, 02:57 PM
i bought an s4r tessta last oct ,tremendos is all i can say like jerry. the suspension needs a bit of a set up , but when thats done wow...! ive put a complete termi system on and what a difference more power and that gloriuos duke bark......buy one

J.P
21-06-2007, 03:36 PM
How much was the full system ? Expensive I'd guess ?
I'll definitely be looking to change the standard exhausts but not sure I'd need the complete system. They say that adds 10% to the power ?

JerryXt
21-06-2007, 03:51 PM
full system VERY expensive. I've been quoted around 900 for the slip-ons fitted and tuned. I'd say at least two hours more labour and several hundred more for the extra pipes. Nice tho!

It's about 10% more power for the full system. Lovely. Want one, just can't justify spending that much money on pipes. Maybe.

Opinions?

Cooper61 - that picture you? I'd love to meet up.

Darry
21-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Cooper61 - that picture you? I'd love to meet up.

Cooper61's name is John, so I doubt its him, unless he's post-op?

Gilps
21-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I was going to drop by Damiano to test one but they haven't got a demo bike and he's no idea when, so I've found P & H down near Gatwick to try out.

Overtaking must be a breeze on it right ? Maybe it's just my expectations but I thought my 695 would blister past traffic and make quick, safe overtaking easier, but I'm finding I'm having to work the bike more than I expected.

What have you done to the bike to improve performance so far? Got rid of the cat, open cans etc.? If it's still fairly stock standard then I think it will feel a little underpowered.

barbican
21-06-2007, 05:17 PM
How much was the full system ? Expensive I'd guess ?
I'll definitely be looking to change the standard exhausts but not sure I'd need the complete system. They say that adds 10% to the power ?

I got the full system on the S4Rs after the first 2000 miles on the standard system, partly for the noise, but mainly to improve the bottom and mid range torque. The bike is now much better mannered at low/mid revs and I think this is because it was tuned too lean as standard. Over 6.5k its bonkers! Cost around 1400 fitted, but worth every penny. Not sure how much the non DP systems would cost, but the ECU change is an important element.

My main gripe is now fuel range since the light starts to flicker at 75-80 miles.

are you going to try a s2r1k as well?

Dukescrotum
21-06-2007, 05:55 PM
You can see mine in the avatar, and I echo and agree with all aleady said, esp the bit about 80 miles before fuel light comes on, but the buzz and the noise (full termis =£1400) is the mutts nuts! Having said that about the fuel, just done 2000mi in Spain/France with only one "oh sh1t, gotta find a fuel station NOW!" moment. i initally bought a naked bike coz I thought it might limit my speed/risk of points, but the S4RS makes nonsense of that. You're always going a whole heap faster than you think. I know Moto Rapido in Winchester have a test bike as they lent it to me for a day, maybe too far for you but Wilf in the sales dept is very helpful and obliging.
Andy

sidrat
21-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Its a fab bike, just sold mine, owned since march last year, the fast red and white one of course, its not just fast, but nothing at all will get past you up to 130 if you dont want them to, oh and its fun as it will go off the clock on top speed!!!, takes some setting up, raised back end 1 inch, but nothing overtook me at the last UKMOC track day, and i was just having fun.
All that said the S4r is just as quick, its only the last 1500 revs that make the difference and the handling sure isnt limited by the name on the forks and shocks, less ground clearnance on the s4r for some reason, whatever, it really is an incredably fast fun bike

J.P
21-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Getting a tingling feeling reading all those notes.
And Gilps , yes my bike is mostly standard but it's not just about the speed, it's the way it's delivered which is why I want to try the bigger bike and see what it's like.
Maybe I won't like it. But maybe I will.

singletrack
22-06-2007, 02:09 PM
You ought to try both the S4R and the S2R1000.

J.P
22-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, might well just do that but I just like the name Testastrettaaaaaaaaaaa.

JerryXt
22-06-2007, 03:05 PM
just do that but I just like the name Testastrettaaaaaaaaaaa.

You'll be screaming that when the power kicks in :)

J.P
22-06-2007, 03:13 PM
More like,
OhhhhTesta****terrrrrrrrrrr.

Manda
22-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, might well just do that but I just like the name Testastrettaaaaaaaaaaa.

Yer try both, P& H charge £20 to test ride their bikes and when i enquired about a couple they said just take both out, half and hour on each.

p.s. watch out for the speed camera right outside the shop!

J.P
22-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I'll probably be more worried about bloody dropping it outside the shop !

GULLY
22-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Ban! go your bonus.:chuckle:

J.P
22-06-2007, 09:29 PM
No, bang goes the credit card.

GULLY
24-06-2007, 06:00 PM
So how did it go on the S4R.

J.P
24-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Did I heck. You seen the weather outside ?
Was out for a big late night last night and needed to be concentrating really hard if I was to get on that bike, then the rain came and I thought better of it.
130 bhp in the rain with me controlling it.
Booked another slot for next Saturday morning. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain again.