PDA

View Full Version : Tank Diagrams Needed

eonan
18-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have, or know where I can get hold of a detailed diagram of the inside of a carbed Monster tank? I don't mean the one you find in the parts catalogues...I need a more technical one, one that shows the exact location of the baffles etc.

TIA :)

katana
18-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Donbt think there are any baffles.

To fuel getting through after the POR 15 treatment?

eonan
19-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Donbt think there are any baffles.

To fuel getting through after the POR 15 treatment?

Cheers Katana :) You don't (or anyone else) happen to know the exact design of that fuel outlet spigot do you? What happens inside there? It seems that the spigot goes in beyond the inner tank wall. Either is goes right in and butts up against the outer wall, with fuel flowing into it via a hole along the shaft, or the spigot stops just short of the outer wall, with the fuel flowing in behind it and into it?

Also, with fuel in the tank...at what rate should the fuel come out of the fuel outlet? I mean with everything detached, for example if you were draining it. Are we talking steady stream, trickle, dribble, or drips?

Yorkie
19-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Mate i pulled the hose out of the underside of my tank, just before the fuel filter and it p**sed it out, mind you the tank was nearly full, i caught some in a fuel can some on the engine and some on the floor, but most of it was soaked up in my skin!!

Yorkie.

Yorkie
19-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Not enough detail for you!

http://www.the-blueprints.com/modules/bpview/bpview.php?nr=1222

Ill keep looking!

Yorkie.

eonan
19-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Not enough detail for you!

http://www.the-blueprints.com/modules/bpview/bpview.php?nr=1222

Ill keep looking!

Yorkie.

Thanks Yorkie :thumbsup: The most detailed one I can find is in the workshop manual. Other than the breather and overflow, it does seem to be just a plain cavity...a funny shaped one mind, but nether the less just an empty tank.

Yep there's a blockage, and I can't for the life of me work out where it is. I've had everything up that spigot, even resorting to grinding through the spigot wall with the Dremmel...still bloody blocked! Its weird, really weird. The tank was obsessively drained of every last drop of POR-15, and then tipped on its end so if there was anything left in there, it would drain down towards the front of the tank away from the outlets.

To my absolute disgust I've just bought another tank. Actually on the bright side it was a bit of a bargain - a brand new tank, never used for £200. Still, it's not just the cost of the tank, it'll need to be bloody painted again too. I don't mind spending money I don't have on things I want, but it sickens me to have to fork out the best part of 500 quid on something so sensless and unforseen.

Kato
19-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Think you are correct eonan tank is just an empty void.

Can't offer any help with the current situation sorry, but I can shed some light on what I think is a better solution than POR-15....I had the same problem as everyone else with a leaking metal tank but I didn’t like the idea of poring stuff in the tank for exactly the reason that you have encountered so I had the tank hinge plate TIG welded all round the edge, didn’t even mark the paint, now as I said it ‘s not gonna cure your current problem but probably worth doing to the new tank (leaking or not)

eonan
19-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Think you are correct eonan tank is just an empty void.

Can't offer any help with the current situation sorry, but I can shed some light on what I think is a better solution than POR-15....I had the same problem as everyone else with a leaking metal tank but I didn’t like the idea of poring stuff in the tank for exactly the reason that you have encountered so I had the tank hinge plate TIG welded all round the edge, didn’t even mark the paint, now as I said it ‘s not gonna cure your current problem but probably worth doing to the new tank (leaking or not)

Thing is, I did have the plate brazed...and a bloody fantastic job they made of it too (see pics). I was going to leave it at that (hindsight eh), but nearly everyone, including the guy who did the brazing strongly suggested I do the POR-15 anyway. To be fair its a really easy process, a ball ache, but easy. In all the research I did before deciding to do it, not once did I hear of anyone ever having a problem like this. Man surely I'm due for a little good luck by now :chuckle:

katana
19-06-2007, 02:34 PM
My tank has a outlet to the side in the bottom corner.

Yorkie
19-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Mine too!!

Yorkie.

eonan
19-06-2007, 03:21 PM
My tank has a outlet to the side in the bottom corner.

Yeh the fuel outlet is just out of the picture, as you say down at the bottom left...those photo's were only taken to show the job the guy had made of the brazing.

katana
19-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Ok I'll poke around mine tonight.

makemdan
04-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll ask about this. My m8 has built a Nocket (took him over 3 years) which is basically an old beezer 750 rocket3 engine bored out to 1000cc crow barred into a Norton slimline featherbed frame. It looks and goes the DB but to get to the point he has a superb alloy tank on it which was custom built (I think for around £300) by a guy in Dumfries and Galloway. The guy welds the tanks up from alloy plate and makes alloy Duke tanks as well. The tanks are baffled so he may have some info to pass on. more l8r

Chris & Nean
04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Fule is a: a liquid hydrocarbon and eventualy this resorce will dwindle and run out and where will be then??? we will be waiting in ques for our fule, so lets make the most of things and enjoy it all, who cares if our bikes burn petrol and doo half the milage of a modern deisel engind contrivance that does 2 times the amount, make the most of it, summers almost gone if it even came.