PDA

View Full Version : Deactivating alarm

morphi
17-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Hiyya,

I bought a M900ie with a datatool alarm system 3 on the bike .... The vendor told me that it has a tendancy to take the battery down. As I park my bike when an alarm is not needed and sometimes for quite a long time (i.e the basement floor of the place I work), I was wondering if by taking the alarm's fuse out I would stop it working and therefore using the battery .. can I do that ? Of course I accept all responsabilities and so on ... ;-)

Morphi

Chaos Inc.
19-06-2007, 07:41 AM
With all due respect, I would strongly suggest that you not ask or answer questions such as this on the net. Anyone can and will read it. I advise contacting datatool direct or a datatool workshop or ask members face to face when you see them.

In our workshop we refuse to give that information on the phone as it could be anyone asking. On the net its even more important as any person can just read and use the information.

Cheers

morphi
19-06-2007, 08:36 AM
True I haven't realize that. My dealer didn't know either so I will speak to datatool.

Cheers

markus
19-06-2007, 08:40 AM
If it help you morphi, I have an 05 s2r with a datatool cat 3 on it - i don't know the differences with the standard batteries, but i left mine for over 6 weeks without starting it when i was in Asia last year and it fired up on the first press of the button no quibbles. I would b surprised if just leaving it for a short while would flatten your battery.

M900nster
19-06-2007, 09:08 AM
My experience is that alarms do use a little power from the bike's battery, and that the battery will end up flat (or certainly unable to start the bike) after two or three months. If you can run an extension lead to the bike you could attach a trickle charger. I wouldn't leave it 'on' all the time - even so-called 'intelligent' chargers (in my experience) tend to overcharge and the electrolite gasses away. See if you can get someone to remember to plug the charger into the mains and switch it on for an overnight charge, say once a month, then it should be fine when you get back.

Gilps
19-06-2007, 09:39 AM
It does tell you in the manual how to disable the alarm. Any cutting of power, whether it be disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse for the alarm will trigger the alarm. The manual will tell you how to disarm it before pulling the fuse.
The Datatool 3 alarm has a sleep mode. After a few weeks - 4 I think - the alarm goes to sleep and is desensitized so as not to flatten the battery as quickly. My ex had one on her Hornet and you could leave it for a couple of months without flattening the battery, but as others have suggested, it is not good for the battery to be left that long connected to the bike, even without an alarm fitted. The battery will eventually flatten so use something like the Optimate to maintain charge levels.

morphi
19-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I have contacted datatool and got an immediate answer. There is no way to just stop the alarm from running just workarounds.

Good support and very quick to answer !