PDA

View Full Version : Stripped threads!

Yorkie
16-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I just got my bike back from its MOT. I was sat on the bike and kicked down the side stand and i was mid way through swinging my leg over the seat when the bike seemed to be moving closer to the floor.......at speed!.

I caught her before she hit the deck, cursed myself for not putting the side stand down properly and tryed again.

It was then i noticed that the bolts holding the sidestand on were loose!! I then tightened them by hand so i could get my tools from the garage but no they wouldnt grip!

I then had to wait 40 mins for the wife to get home, sat on the bike on my drive way, in my leathers, in the sun!

To cut a story short, did get it in the garage and on the rear stand and low and behold the bolts had stripped the thread from the mounting holes!!! (Bugger, bollox)

Has this happened to anyone else, so im stuck with a bike i cannot park anywhere!! Why me!!!!

Yorkie.

Scotty
16-06-2007, 11:30 AM
yup, helicoils are your friend

makes you wonder a bit about the mot testing methods when they check the wheel bearings

Yorkie
16-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Helicoils??

Where from??

Cheers mate

Yorkie.

Wheel bearings! Its only 8 years old!

Yorkie
16-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Found a UK supplier! Anyone know of another??

United Kingdom

Emhart Teknologies
177 Walsall Road
Perry Barr Birmingham, B42, IBP
United Kingdom

Tel. 44-0121-356-4811
Fax. 44-0121-356-1598
Email: emhart.teknologies@bdk.com

Yorkie.

crust
16-06-2007, 01:44 PM
As these threads are into the crankcase via bosses and are subject to strong lateral forces I'm not convinced helicoils are best.

They're OK for repairing threads that hold cases etc

I'd recommend Timeserts from Wurth

They are like a threaded tube with a thread inside, you tap out the damaged thread, screw the timesert in, use the special tool to spread the Timesert and -sorted.

Speak to Ped, he can get them.

:)Crust

bod
16-06-2007, 01:59 PM
"I then had to wait 40 mins for the wife to get home, sat on the bike on my drive way, in my leathers, in the sun!"

Is she the only one who can use a spanner in your house?:)

If you go down the Wurth route we have a rep that calls in at our place.

Yorkie
16-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Is she the only one who can use a spanner in your house?

Sod off you pillock, it was either that or i lent it up against the wall!! And knowing my luck it would have fallen over!!!

Yorkie.

Yorkie
16-06-2007, 02:26 PM
http://www.wurth.co.uk/toolcat.php

For anyone else with the same trouble!!!

Yorkie

Scotty
16-06-2007, 06:09 PM
As these threads are into the crankcase via bosses and are subject to strong lateral forces I'm not convinced helicoils are best.

They're OK for repairing threads that hold cases etc

I'd recommend Timeserts from Wurth

They are like a threaded tube with a thread inside, you tap out the damaged thread, screw the timesert in, use the special tool to spread the Timesert and -sorted.

Speak to Ped, he can get them.

:)Crust

:worried: well its holding up ok so far :worried:

Yorkie
16-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Where did you get yours from and what were they for??

Cheers

Yorkie.

Shauns4
16-06-2007, 08:54 PM
either will work fine, the weak point is the thread in the aluminium casting, of which both methods rely on.

claicerrig
16-06-2007, 11:17 PM
either will work fine, the weak point is the thread in the aluminium casting, of which both methods rely on.

I agree we use Helicoils all the time in a variety of applications with no apparent faults or failures

russ77
17-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Found a UK supplier! Anyone know of another??

We get them from Buck and Hickman at work (part of Farnell). I'm not sure if you can buy without an account, but orders usually arrive the next day. Never had any trouble using Helicoils for all sorts of applications.

http://bhinone.farnell.com/

lcjohnny
17-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Actually if a helicoil is put in to high standards (clean hole perpendicular to the surface and sharp clean tap cut at the right speed) it may be stronger than an insert as more of the parent material is left. This includes any strengthening bosses cast around the place where the thread was cut.... which probably do exist behind the side stand mounting holes.

However IMHO it is a pig of a place to drill a perfect and perpendicular hole.

THe same problem of drilling a good hole exist with inserts.

I remember being told to use inserts where there is a lot of parent material and the thread might be used frequently (inspection covers etc.) and helicoils everywhere else. However enginering may have moved on in 30yr :p

Jon

Yorkie
17-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Getting it sorted out on Wednesday! I havent got the time or patience at the moment to do it!

Yorkie.

Pedro
17-06-2007, 09:52 PM
If anyone wants Wurth Timeserts let me know.

Whilst they serve the same function as a helicoil, they are a stronger and more permanent solution as the Timesert won't come out like a Helicoil might (I've had a couple break up before).

Let me know the threadsize etc and I'll get you a price

Ped

Martin C
18-06-2007, 04:59 PM
yup, helicoils are your friend

makes you wonder a bit about the mot testing methods when they check the wheel bearings

Unfortunately, some MOT testers will just use the side-stand to support the bike while it's tilted right over onto it, in order to check each wheel/bearing in turn. They should really use a jack or hydraulic lift to raise the bike centrally for this, but if they're in a hurry and you're not watching, then who knows....? On some other bikes it might not matter much, but Ducati alloy threads can be rather fragile.

I fitted a centre-stand on my M900 anyway, because it makes maintenance so much easier (and the ST4 has one as standard).

Yorkie
18-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Thats a bit difficult for mine as it has a full lenght bellypan fitted!! Just me being different!

Yorkie.

Pixx
18-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Martin C, you're just what I'm looking for!!
I just returned to my earlier thread on centre stands. Should I go for it? Has it made any difference to the M900, apart from easier cleaning & lubing?

lcjohnny
18-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Martin C can you send us a picture of your Centre Stand fitted?

Jon

Pixx
18-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Are you after one too, lcjohnny?

lcjohnny
18-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I have had (and worked on) too many bikes to think it is clever to leave off the centre stand :chuckle:

The possibility of fitting a C stand was one of the factors in getting my Monnie:idea:

So only question is £90 for an abba swing arm stand I keep (in the garage) or £90 for a proper stand on the bike.

PS is that a real bike in your avatar???

Jon

Pixx
18-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I ordered an Abba before I'd thought properly about it so, if I'm lucky, they'll let me cancel 24 hours later(?)
I prefer the idea of being able to lift the back wherever I go, and the bit about bike MOTs being hard on the side stand was the decider. So mine's being fitted with its stand next week at its first service, along with Oberon adjustable barend mirrors... so Dixie will be able to stand on her own and I'll be able to see what huge sportbike's about to roar past me.
Yeah, the steam bike is for real, sort of scary, like a really old combat tank, or ancient submarine.

retskcid
20-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Seems to be a very common problem - I found out tonight that I have the loose bolt on the side stand. Are these inserts DIYable?

Lucky I won a centre stand on ebay recently (if it turns up) and I guess I'll be fitting it sooner than expected....Sod what it looks like.

Kiwi
20-04-2008, 06:31 PM
if helicoil kits are too expensive try uni thread they have a website and are about 1/2 the cost of helicoil kits