PDA

View Full Version : feelings.......

lcjohnny
13-06-2007, 05:54 PM
:worried:
What do you call a man who finds 1/2 a teaspoon of metal filings on the horizontal cylinder exhaust rocker cover? :toilet:

I did the valves 1,500 miles ago it is run on fully synthetic and allowed to warm up. It is not rattling yet but I think I have to strip it....:hissy: :booze:

Any opinions monsterati?

katana
13-06-2007, 06:01 PM
996 engine?

Rockhopper
14-06-2007, 12:19 PM
On the inside of the cover? Are they chrome, steel or alloy?

Rocker failure is rare on the two valvers but its not unheard of.

lcjohnny
14-06-2007, 07:46 PM
The filings are on the inside of the rocker cover (unfortunately) are attracted to a magnet so iron/steel based and are in short curls, very shiny so maybe chrome or polished.

I have looked into the rocker box with a torch and cannot see any damage on any of the cams or rocker feet. Should I be able to see any damage with everything in place?

Also the rocker/valve clearances have not increased...

Most confusing:confused: :confused:

Jon

Rockhopper
14-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Chrome isn't magnetic so that rules out flaking rockers.

Sounds like something not been fully pushed home and has machined itself away over time.

lcjohnny
14-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Hmm
I wonder what can have been grinding away - I think I will pull the rocker spindles so I can view the cams & rockers properly.

If not form there it must have come from the bottom end?

But how? the oil feeds through the filter and then trough the cam.

The only other way is up through the oil drain

Bizarrer and Bizarrer:piglet:

Rockhopper
14-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm not that familiar with the workings of the top end but there are some springy things you slide along the rocker shaft to allow you to move the rocker out of the way to change the shim. Maybe one of those isn't in right.
Is there anything in the strainer (if M900's have them)?
Could it be something as daft as a cross threaded rocker cover bolt that has created a bit of swarf?

crust
14-06-2007, 09:58 PM
when you took the clip off to move the rocker sideways there was a washer either side of it.

when you put it back did you make sure that there was a washer either side of it?

:)Crust

lcjohnny
14-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Now I agree with both of you as I thought I might have done something stupid with those spring clips as well:dunce:. But confusingly they were still there, with an intact washer or shim on either side.:thumbsup:

I really do not want to be stupidly optimistic :twak: but the bike has only done 2k miles over the last 2 years and over the last 3 weeks it has frequently been cruising at 90 for an hour and even spent 3hr chasing a jap 600 across Wales. Is it possible that i may have just moved some old swarf to one of the the lowest points in the engine?:confused:

The only place I can think of on an early 900 that generates swarf is if the generator bolt comes loose so I will check that. ( and no I don't know how it could get to the head from the left side cover :-D )

So thanks for your support & interest and comments on my plan please folks
1) pull the rocker spindles & inspect cam & rockers properly
2) pull left had cover & inspect (tighten etc as necessary)
3) replace oil filter & cut the old one in half to look for swarf
4) oil change through a sieve and check for bits
5) refill with oil & new filter
6) ride

Jon

Rockhopper
15-06-2007, 06:40 PM
1) yep, good plan, look for witness marks etc
2) can do, slacken the nut off first then locktight it on again.
3) can do, won't tell you where it came from though!! I gthink bigger bits will be in the strainer though.
4) Nah, see above
5) yep
6) oh yes, if it ever stops raining.

lcjohnny
16-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Update on The Plan
1) pull the rocker spindles & inspect cam & rockers properly
No damage to cams and opening rockers
No visible damage to closing rockers
The inlet closer is looks ok here
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/lcjohnny/frontcyl-2.jpg
The exhaust was harder to see
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/lcjohnny/frontcyl-1.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/lcjohnny/frontcyl.jpg
No swarf in the rocker box:thumbsup:
2) pull left had cover & inspect (tighten etc as necessary) =Sunday's job:spin:
3) replace oil filter & cut the old one in half to look for swarf = probably not going to bother with this as when I cut it that will make swarf anyway so seems no point in looking
4) oil change through a sieve and check for bits
Black as sin after 1000 miles :eek:
but no bits of metal in the bottom end and only metal paste on the magnetic plug:thumbsup:
5) refill with oil & new filter
6) ride

Jon