PDA

View Full Version : Little black leaky petrol pipe - HELP!!

benson
10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Just polishing the beastie after yesterday's run out and before I was meant to go and meet a friend for a bimble when I noticed.....

petrol coming out of the little black pipe (the one that runs from the underneath of the tank to down by the swinging arm - which I assume, in all my technical wizardly (NOT) is the breather pipe???)

On closer inspection there's a hole in the pipe about half way down so I duck taped it - but even so, when I move the bike out comes the petrol - not good methinks...

When the bike's still then there's no petrol but when I move it - out it dribbles - SURELY this isn't right (is it???)

HELP!!!! (thank god I gave up smoking.......)

Any suggestions gratefully received tho I imagine I'm going to have to call those nice chaps from the RAC to come and take my baby to Rosso Corse cos I'm toooooo scared to fire it up in case I go bang.....

Yours ditheringly and covered in a fire blanket.....

scrumpster
10-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Silly question Rach but is it deffo petrol coming out? Could it be water with the heat we've been having, now you know I'm no techy so tell me to shut it in a irish stiley if you like!! :)

benson
10-06-2007, 02:02 PM
He he he - it smells like petrol and it evaporates VERY fast indeed!!! :on: I might just try taking the matches outside - no - net even Little Mo O'Lunacy would do that

(would she???)

andros
10-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Had you just filled up, cos if it sits in the sun after filling up the petrol expands and some comes out when its on the stand. Happenend to mine yesterday.

scrumpster
10-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah it happened to munch once too oh and yeah Mo would ha ha ha

benson
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I've done about 20 miles out of a full tank - so yes it is pretty full - maybe I should wheel it up and down the road a few times!!! (saving on gym membership too!)

benson
10-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Off to wheel said machine around a bit.... Will let you kno
a) how tired I get
b) if it does it for 100 miles!!!
Thanks folks - and Scrumps for the empathy of the O'Lunacy clan!!!

crust
10-06-2007, 03:12 PM
If its going to down by the swinging arm its a breather pipe.

Open the fuel cap, is it right to the top, overflowing even?

Try holding the bike upright and seeing if it stops.

:)Crust

Shandy
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Benson,

I don't think you've got anything to worry about, the two little pipes down by the swingarm are the vent for the tank and the drain from the lip just below the filler cap.

It's either the petrol expanding where it's got hot and overflowing a touch down the drain or evaporating down the vent and dribbling out the end (oooo errr missus). Have you opened the cap to see how close the fuel is to the top, if you can't see with the naked eye you could all ways use a match (NOT :freak: )

Hope it's all ok.

Cheers,

Shandy

benson
10-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys - I've moved it about a bit and it's still dribbling but hopefully it isn't anything to worry about as I've searched a few threads and yes, I can hear the noises from the tank - sounds like it's almost gulping...

The tank isn't full to over the air holes that I assume are connected to the breather pipe - and actually there's only one breather pipe - should I have two??? Oh god - now I'm paranoid!!!

ANYWAY - hope I don't have any more of a problem than a dribbly hose!!! I'm a laydee dontchaknow so these problems aren't familiar!!!!

scrumpster
10-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Off to wheel said machine around a bit.... Will let you kno
a) how tired I get
b) if it does it for 100 miles!!!
Thanks folks - and Scrumps for the empathy of the O'Lunacy clan!!!

No problem to be sure, keep an eye on dem der hoses missy!! Keep bike away from naked flames, no BBQing in your front garden do you hear me missy??

gary tompkins
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
The tank isn't full to over the air holes that I assume are connected to the breather pipe - and actually there's only one breather pipe - should I have two??? Oh god - now I'm paranoid!!!

Don't fret Benson it's just fuel venting down the breather pipe. I get petrol pissing everywhere on mine if I fill it up and it parked in the sun. There are two breathers from the bottom of the filler assembly on the 900ie. One for the overflow and one to let air back in as the tank empties. The two pipes merge into one at a Y piece under the tank, so you only get one at the bottom.

benson
10-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks GT for those words of comfort - and everyone else who collectively have persuaded me to stop hiding behind the wheelie bin in a flame retardant bikini (now ok that was a joke....but you never know!!!!!!:eek: )

So it seems my dribbling pipes aren't a problem and I shouldn't explode as I turn the key...

IF however I do explode then it's been lovely knowing you all...:pedro:

scrumpster
10-06-2007, 08:15 PM
IF however I do explode then it's been lovely knowing you all...:pedro:

The feeling's mutual :biggrin: :flamed:

Nonnie
11-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Didn't you have some other issue with your pipes? Something about it melting?

Have you really got a flame retardent bikini?! You'll have to bring it to Aldeburgh. That's really quite impressive.

benson
11-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Yes indeed - where it was adjacent to the engine casing there's a bit of a hole burnt through - duck taped it for now..... Will have to find someone who knows what they're doing to replace it for me.....:fou:

FLR bikini's are GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flamed:

benson
11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Hmmm - been out for a blat this evening and now home again (well that was obvious I suppose...) - bike going like a peach (famous last words - hell I've done that before) but still a dribble from the pipe at a standstill - guess it could still be the heat/humidity - or should I worry - what does collective wisdom say???