PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Remembered...........

Didge
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
.......that on this day, 63 years ago, tens of thousands of British, American and Canadian young men, stormed the beaches of Normandy.
Many never came home.
http://i14.tinypic.com/63x1fdc.jpg

Before my time, but I always remember their bravery.

scrumpster
06-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I didn't realise Didge and it was well before my time, but I remember coming across a war grave site in Normandy and going in and it was so peaceful, relaxing, yet hauntingly so, you could wander for hours reading the graves - sad but very brave men and women who fought for us (well the women didn't fight then but they supported the troops) - it's a shame our youth don't respect what happened all those years ago!!!

benson
06-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Blimey - I hadn't realised how long ago it was Didge - I remember being there for the 50th anniversary with my parents. Bravery and such inhuman acts of wanton violence. There's nothing good about war is there...

Headhunter
06-06-2007, 09:40 PM
My sign off is not just being smart. It is weird to think it was 63 years ago and long should it be remembered.

Chris & Nean
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I rememberd the old galls B Day today didge, I'm rubbish at dates and ocassions anyway but I had missed the fact that wifys B Day and D Day was the same day and it comes as a bit of a shock. she knew it though she says.

sadbiker
06-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I watched footage taken from the 2nd world war at Aramanche and the other Beach heads it showed the landings and the march into Caen with footage from the present day. This was in the museam above Aramanche. It showed the troops being attacked by the planes and soldiers falling into the water.

The silence of the crowd watching this footage was imense and then at the end peoples ashern faces when they realised the full horror of war. Even present day Germans were crying as they walked out.

If you ever go to Aramanche visit the 3d cinemama on top of the hill.

Then you will understand why our old troops still go every year to pay respect to the friends and family they lost.

gremlin
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
It's a pity that all they fought for has been handed over to the very people they were fighting against! Unfortunately not many people respect the fact that these men gave everything for their country and I doubt very much if those in power playing fast and loose with what they fought for have any regard at all. You only have to see the shabby way veterans are treated to realise that.
I was really pleased that the Sherpa finally has been given the right to stay here. I couldn't believe it when he was told he hadn't shown enough loyalty to the UK, especially when you see people who haven't done anything but harm this country and it's citizens being allowed to stay.

And I know this sounds daft but I think the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan although it was an American whatever, should be shown in schools because it was a pretty graphic representation of what those poor sods actually went through and at least unlike the Aramanche film it is available to all. No doubt the do gooders wouldn't allow it in case it upset some kids but it would show them what their grandfathers had to go through to give them what they've got now.That's my rant over, sorry guys but it makes me so cross

banditloon
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
.......that on this day, 63 years ago, tens of thousands of British, American and Canadian young men, stormed the beaches of Normandy.
Many never came home.
http://i14.tinypic.com/63x1fdc.jpg

Before my time, but I always remember their bravery.

My Dad never told me about his time in the army during the war. He was evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940 (with my grand dad) and then spent his time later in the war in the deserts of Africa, before being stationed in Italy.

As someone said on the radio yesterday morning;

"Would the young people of today be prepared to stop a tyrant like Hitler and protecting the country from invasion... I think not!"

To true, and so sad that so many spent there years of enjoyment saving this country from an evil.

My step dad wants to visit the graves of Normandy one year and hopefully we will get the chance to in the future :)

David Matthews
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
A chap that I work for took part, he has lunch with his commanding officer every year on the 6th of June. A time for them to remember the many friends they lost. I think the CO was in his early thirties, many of them were in their teens and early twenties.