PDA

View Full Version : 1st monster ride

daveb996
06-06-2007, 08:37 AM
As I'm new to the forum (hello everybody) and new to the exciting world of monster ownership I thought I'd write in or post in my first experience. As a 916 then 996 SPS rider and after losing said bike in a fire I have been rider less for a couple of years(except for occasional track day on rented R6s). I can't really count the Benelli 250 scooter can I? I bought it just to keep my no claims in tact as apperently if you fail to insure a bike for 2 years you lose all your no claims :fiery: Great hoot through the traffic though.
Ital Sports up north here in Bury near Manchester (Monster pronounced Monstoh) were good enough to provide an 06 S4R for the day. I was well impressed. The brakes were very strong though this model needed more damping and less rebound for my liking but as for stopping they were on a par with my SPS. We headed up towards the Cat and Fiddle which took in a short stretch of the M60. Ok you do get wind blast as their is no sport fairing to tuck behind but at least my back, wrists, legs would not be aching at the end of the day like on the 996. You twist the throttle though on the S4R and instantly you are off its got some real grunt which really wants to make you attack the corners. Handling was superb and eggs you on to go faster and faster. I just wanted to cruise with my mates but this bike does not want to let you. To slow it down you would have to put your jeans on and an open face helmet, it's that much of a monster. I have been spoilt by the experience though as its too expensive for me to justify it sat in the garage all the time gathering dust as we now have a young family. But when you get the call to try one for a day what do you say? As I have not ridden any other Monsters I cannot make a comparison except to say that the S4r would make a great pose bike, town commute and mad moments as and when you want to. It's just that you would always want to with this one. Anybody who owns one, well you don't have to have me to tell you you have a hell of a bike.

Bodybag
06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Hello and welcome. I've just fallen off the Monster ownership tree this morning as my S4 was taken away this morning. :( I've gone the other way and bought a 749S but you're right, the Monster is an absolutely mental bike when you ride it properly. :D

Whatever Monster you get, you'll enjoy it. All the usual Ducati quirks and even more blingable than the 9**!!

J.P
06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm interested in your comments Dave because though I've had my first bike, the 695, for only 8 months, I'm already thinking about the next monster to move onto and I'm really interested in the S4R. Though my bike is great fun, it does take more oomph to get it going where as I believe, as you said, the extra grunt of the S4R might get me to exactly I'd really like to be.

Why compromise eh? Maybe I should keep the 695 as well !

Albie
06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
You only need one monster. Upgrade . It wont be fair on unridden one. Thats why Im finding it hard to decide whether to sell my toy. Its not gettin ridden.

S4 are very rideable but also any of the range. The 800's do everything a thousand can do except they work harder and they put lesser brakes and suspension on.

J.P
06-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I saw from you thread Albie the choices you are making. It's so tough isn't it ?

Man and their toys !

banditloon
06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Just been offered a ride on a brand new S4Rs... I'm sure that is why Nessie is getting stressed and breaking things now :chuckle:

I know I'll want one after riding it...

Dukescrotum
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Had my s4rs for 9 months now, it's the first monster I've owned and I love it. Just had full Termi system fitted and it has transformed a great bike into, in the words of the owner of my ducati dealership "a real beast of a bike"! Also just been 2000 miles touring Spain and France and no ar5e ache etc. Couldn't wait to get on the bike each day and just ride those fantastic open, well surfaced and almost rozzer-free foreign roads. Everyone should do it, especially on a monster!
A

J.P
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
And yours looks the nuts too in those colours. Lots of wheel cleaning ?

Did you buy it new or used. And how much did the Termi system set you back, was it a painful cost?

Dukescrotum
06-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Got it new. Wheels are a 'so and so' to clean esp front but come up nicely. Termi was £1200 plus 3 hours labour, includes chip etc and worth every penny.
A

banditloon
06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
My mate has just bought a brand new S4Rs, white and red one, has the Termis fitted, now the bike is doing 70 miles to a full tank... Back to Moto Rapido it goes.. :thumbsdown:

Still a stonking bike though :D

J.P
06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
maybe it should come with jerry cans as an accessory ?

Dukescrotum
06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I can get 85 miles per tank with 'normal'/fast riding, and I saw on here a while ago that 80 - 90/tank is about average. Just a small tank I guess. My mate's KTM Superduke only does 70miles/tank too.

J.P
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I suppose the price of performance is clear. I will dream on, for a while.

barbican
06-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I get 80 or so miles with the Termis but have noticed a bit of black smoke when the engine is cold/first started, so maybe its a bit rich - didn't get this with the standard setup.

That aside it's a great bike so............

Dukescrotum
06-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I had the baffles in for a run to plymouth when I had the Termis first fitted, and when I took them out they looked blackened, like the engine was running a bit rich. I wonder if it is a safety thing ie better rich than lean, or just to do with the chip?
Andy