PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get Back To Neutral

m600_sjj
05-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi

Ive just brought a M600 1998 and I have a bit of a prob

First of all when I have warmed up the bike and it is Idle ticking over it is very low about 800/1000 how do you adjust the Idle ? or do I need a Ducati Boys to sort it?

My main prob is when the engine is running and I'm at a stand still I select 1st Gear fine but when I want to go back to Neutral it will not even budge.

I have tried a slight flick, Revin the engine to about 1500, Its just not budging

But when the engine is off then it works fine.

Any Ideas would be most helpful as most of the rubbish Service Centres around Portsmouth don't have a clue either.

Thanks Steve

Chappers
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I had the exact same prob on my 2001 M600 dark a couple of years ago, my mate sorted the idle out for me and the neutral problem never got resolved - sorry, I'm not any help at all to you :scratch: :o

sidrat
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey steve, i too have a 600 carb monster among others, if you look under the tank there is a little V cutout on the bottom of the airbox between the carbs, if you run a philips screwdriver up there you can adjust the idle speed. I have also had problems in the past with getting into neutral at a standstill, although the current 600 is fab at getting neutral, i would suggest making sure you get into neutral before you stop or try rocking the bike back and forth at a standstill while you try and find it.
Good luck!

Gilps
05-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I've got exactly the same neutral problem with my DD bike. That's why I like to start from the back of the grid, so I don't have to sit at the front for ages holding the clutch in.:D
Serioulsy though, the only solution I have found, and it's not ideal, is that as I am rolling to a stop I try to find neutral then. It doesn't always work though.
I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Gilps
05-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I also wonder if the clutch is dragging ever so slightly. This may keep just enough tension in the drivetrain to stop the selector shifting. I have noticed that with the bike on the paddock stand in gear with the clutch pulled in the rear wheel will turn, but can be stopped with hand pressure.

Scotty
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
i think i find it easyer to boot it up through into 2nd then gently tap it back down into neutral

m600_sjj
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks I have to admit it quite funny when your ridding to a set of lights and you stop without getting back into gear you are there kicking the damm gear selector to get it to neutral people must think Im mad.

On the other hand many of times I have tried rolling to a stop but I'm too busy looking for the green light to flash Ive nearly crashed into the car Infront of me lol. very dangerous lol.

I'm going to try the Idle first then if its not that looks like Im going to need a new set of clutch plates at £109.62 lol.

Pixx
20-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I had a problem finding "real" neutral on a recent training run, and stalled several times just as the sweeper wanted me to go on before he had to stop...embarrassing and awkward!
However, as a Ducati rider himself, he said it did seem a fairly common affliction for Ducs and that finding neutral before stopping was the answer: I haven't had a problem since.

m600_sjj
27-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi Guys just replying to those who wanted to know how i got on with the gear problem on m600.

Well its sorted now, It was where the bike had not been used by its previous owner the clutch plates had stuck so I have had them re greased and turned over and its running perfect now.

wish id done it myself but £50 isnt to bad labour charge form Ducati CMW Chichester.

Cheers for the advise guys

Now to the Project I want to do on the bike will keep u guys informed

Rockhopper
28-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Be careful when you are adjusting the idle, the obvious screw you can see is actually the one that balances the carbs, the idle adjuster is deeper between the carbs and you need a long screwdriver to get to it.