PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel tank

katana
04-06-2007, 02:49 PM
My monsters tank leaks fuel. Thought it was the hinge but now I dont think so as the hinge isn't spot welded its tack welded.

There does seem to be wet area coming from the drain bolt and the fuel level sensor.

Do certain metal tanks not leak?

Kato
04-06-2007, 03:13 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=22436&highlight=silver+solder

Most of the metal tanks leak or will leak at some point, lots of info around to help you fix it, try the above thread to start....

katana
04-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Yep know the thread but don't want to repaint the tank. So how can it be done.

rick@curry
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Had the same problem last year! Used 'petsil' from your local 'bikers bits shop'. Worked a treat but make sure it's very warm ( or leave it next to a radiator) when you use it ,otherwise it will take forever to set !!

eonan
04-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Katana...thought you were going to give the old POR-15 a go, no?

Yorkie
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8222&frostProductName=Motorcycle%20Fuel%20Tank%20Repair %20Kit&frostCat=Tanks&frostSubCat=&frostubCatID=

Found it here! I think i might have to use it!!

Yorkie.

eonan
04-06-2007, 08:03 PM
I hope to get my tank back this week from having the hinge brazed and the paintwork repaired...then its in with the POR-15.

katana
04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Katana...thought you were going to give the old POR-15 a go, no?

I will, but have only just taken the tank off and seen the spread of the stain.

crust
04-06-2007, 08:43 PM
If you're carefull with the brazing the paint only gets burnt off underneath the tank.

I repainted the underside with red smoothrite

With the tank down you'd never know

:)Crust

katana
04-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Ok crust, what the secret to do it as I don't have a clue. By the way I've never silver soldered or brazed.

Did you use this stuff? http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8822&frostProductName=Cold%20Front%20(414ml)

crust
04-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I didn't bother with the 'cold front'

I use a propane gas blow lamp with an acetylene mix (yellow canister) on it.

Prep the area with nitro morse + wire brush all around the hinge plate including the round holes in it.

Flush the tank with soapy water a few times.

Mix the Borax flux with water until its like a thickish yoghurt.

Paint it on a length ( one of the four sides) of the hinge plate.

Heat it, the Borax will dry, then bubble up, when it does, gently feed the rod into it.

The rod should liquify and flow into the join.

TA DA !!

you are a brazier.

Another way of doing it, is to cut the rod into a 25mm length, paint the flux paste along the joint, place the piece of rod into the paste along the joint.

Heat until the flux has dried, bubbled and the rod piece should melt and flow into the joint.

I have the tank wrapped in a wet towel to stop the heat flow and do a bit at a time being carefull to only heat the area I want to solder.

Get a couple of bits of flat steel, lay one piece on the other and practice on it.

Its quite addictive.

Once you've done it you'll be buying bronze rods and brazing brackets on things.

:)Crust

katana
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
The how to guide by crust.

Will do that but will be in a while as I have the valve clearances to do as well as a belt change.

Wonder if I should do it and photograph it for here?

Would people want to read it?