PDA

View Full Version : Tank wobble

DevilBoy
04-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Hiya Guys

I put a new tank on my S4 this weekend, and all seems to fit perfect.
All the pipes and motors on the inside all look like they go in the right places, all the rubber bits fit on the bottom to rest on the frame. All good.

I have noticed though, the tank does wobble quite easily from left to right, and the left hand rubber foot dosn't seem to rest on the frame quite right.

Another thing I noticed, is that the locking device on the front of the tank is barely attached to the hook on the ignition.
Any ideas why this could be anyone?
Could I have the worng tank? Or is it more likely something has been knocked loose in the crash?

Cheers in advance!
DB :thumbsup:

Oh and another thing. If you are doing up the bolts that tighten the throttle onto the bars, don't over tighten it. The metal casing that holds the plastic bit which the cable gets pulled with, is as flimsy as a petticoat.
I now have to buy another one of those! (Unless anyone has one knocking around?

Cheers!

Bunny
04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
The tank catch is adjustable, undo it and twist the end, it is threaded and adjusts in and out of the catch

DevilBoy
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah I've tightened it as far as it'll go. It looks like the thread is too long at the moment, as it will only tighten a certain amount.
I can't see how it could be nice and tight on the old tank, and loose as a goose on this one!

Strange...

slob
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah I've tightened it as far as it'll go. It looks like the thread is too long at the moment, as it will only tighten a certain amount.
I can't see how it could be nice and tight on the old tank, and loose as a goose on this one!

Strange...

If you press down on the tank do both rubber feet touch the frame? If not you probably have something out of place underneath.
If you're out of adjustment on the catch, you've probably bent the hook on the back of the ignition switch(made of monkey metal)

DevilBoy
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I believe it does touch on both sides if I press down on it.
I am guessing that it could be something out of place.
I still have the hoses and everything off underneath, so one of them could be trapped somewhere I spose.

I panicked a bit, as it was a bit of a whack that busted the old one, so I thought the frame could have got bent or something...

I'll check the catch, see what the hook is up too.
Is everything on these bikes made of monkey metal!!! :scratch:

grunter
04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
catch from old tank to new one that may help as catches do differ

slob
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Take a look at the plate(part of the frame) that the tank hinge attaches to,
When I flipped my bike at Donington the plate bent, I carefully bent it straight again, it didn't even crack the paint.

DevilBoy
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah, the catch and the rubbers and everything are from the old tank, so that's all the same.
I'll take a look at that plate though. Thats definately a possibility!

Cheers guys
DB