PDA

View Full Version : Knackered battery ??

Nigel C
29-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Rode the m900 to the bike shop today for a service bike almost didn't start wouldn't turn over with the first three prods of the starter then it did fire up eventually albeit with the starter only just turning the motor over .
ran fine after that , the battery sounds like it's lost it's charge (had a full charge from the previous owner before i picked it up ) but it was only sat for just over a week since i bought it (no tax yet), i wouldn't have thought it would lose its charge that quickly ?. haven't had a proper look round the bike yet but i did find this morning an led on the tail unit , is it possible there is an old alarm on the bike somewhere draining the battery ?

lcjohnny
29-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Trouble is that at some point a battery wil go from "just enough" Power to "not enough" it may seem sudden but more usually it is slow decay.

Good battery selling businesses (NOT like halfords) will check it for you. If the battery is good the usual culprits are loose earth leads & lead fixings or power leads. These are major culprits because they make it hard to get power into the battery and make it hard to get the power out of the battery too.

Good luck

Jon

Steggz
30-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Have you been running about on it? Not to put the doom and gloom but recifier is a possible one. However if its been stood for a week its most probably the battery. Try a voltmeter over the battery when its running.

jerry
30-05-2007, 07:22 PM
3 years is about average life for a motorcycle battery after that its a lottery how long it will last