PDA

View Full Version : My noisy bike and the Police ?

J.P
22-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Been driving around with the baffles out on my Marving cans for a while now but was asked by Humbucker about what happens if I get stopped by the police for being noisy ? I don't know.

Will I get a telling off ? An on the spot fine ? Points on my license ?

What can I expect ?

slob
22-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Been driving around with the baffles out on my Marving cans for a while now but was asked by Humbucker about what happens if I get stopped by the police for being noisy ? I don't know.

Will I get a telling off ? An on the spot fine ? Points on my license ?

What can I expect ?

Marched straight to jail at gunpoint, probably re-introduction of the death penalty.

...or more likely a five day producer to show up at a police station of your choice with properly stamped cans, possibly a small fine.

squiffything
22-05-2007, 03:13 PM
It all depends on the PC you might get an "ello ello ello what's going on ere then sonny" or you might get an "Oi you're nicked" and then thrown over the bonnet of a ford capri or a consul If however you're really lucky and you play the sweet innocent "I wasn't aware officer" line you will get a warning followed by a wink and then a "don't worry too much mate Dukes are suppose to sound like that.

Hope that helps :)

Kato
22-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Or if MCN are to be believed an ASBO and your bike confiscated:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

S4 MAD
22-05-2007, 03:39 PM
their is no law wich can be enforced for penalty points on loud cans
but they can make you get youre bike re mot"d and fine you .
if caught again then they can possibly take it further.:flamed:
:) :)

J.P
22-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Funny thing is with the Marving cans is that they are all properly stamped CAT included, but just removing a little teeny bit of metal out the back end turns them nasty.

Pedro
22-05-2007, 03:48 PM
My Leo Vince cans are fully CE marked versions but a little tinkering one winters night saw all the stock baffles removed, 50mm perforated stainless tube and a sh*t load of glass fibre fitted and never even had a second look from the rozzers. A quick glance at the end of each can shows the CE Mark and numbers!

SimonH
22-05-2007, 04:35 PM
You live in London. The Met aren't that bothered - they have other things to worry about generally. Their policy usually is to issue you with a notice requiring you to get the bike put through an MOT. It's called the "vehicle defect rectification scheme". It costs you the price of an MOT.

Outside London it all changes. Big city forces tend to be rather like the Met. County constabularies have less to bother about so they will take more of an interest. The law requires you to have E marked or BS marked cans if your bike is registered after about 1985 - I can't remember the exact date.

Your Marving cans are E marked but you are not allowed to modify them. So it all comes down to how interested the copper is.......................

It also depends where you want to go. Expect to be turned back at the Swiss border if your cans are modified. The Germans will take an interest and may fine you on the spot. The French don't care. The Italians will think they're great.

Up to you really...........................

Gilps
22-05-2007, 04:45 PM
The law requires you to have E marked or BS marked cans if your bike is registered after about 1985 - I can't remember the exact date.

I don't know about the law, but it is no longer a requirement for an MOT. However, they must not be stamped "Race use only", "Not for road use" etc to pass an MOT.

yeharrr
22-05-2007, 06:09 PM
My understanding is that the law changed a while ago. Exhausts can be marked E, BS, or no marking at all. But if they are marked race use only, then they are not road legal. Also, as far as noise is concerned, it is now up to the moters discretion.
So what if one were to buy some termi rivets (available on ebay), drill out the old rivets, take of the bands and polish out the ‘for race use only’ wording and replace the bands with the new rivets? Your pipes are then road legal so long as you have an mot, may be? If the police say they think they are too loud one would have to remind he police that that is for the moter to decide and not them!
I hope I don’t have to put this to the test, but I seem to have polished my pride and joy so much that some wording, can’t remember what it said, seems to have been polished right off my pipes.

scrumpster
22-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I think you will find the odd policeman with noisy cans too!!! :)

yeharrr
22-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Hello, hello. ;)

Zimbo
22-05-2007, 07:42 PM
My understanding is that the law changed a while ago. Exhausts can be marked E, BS, or no marking at all. But if they are marked race use only, then they are not road legal. Also, as far as noise is concerned, it is now up to the moters discretion.

Not quite true - the requirements to pass an MOT are not the same as those that determine whether your cans are road legal. As stated, it's down to the MOT tester's discretion as to whether it passes or not, however it will still fall foul of Construction and Use regulations and is therefore not road legal, even if you have come directly from the MOT station with a pass certificate in your hand.

A policeman may require you to stop using your vehicle immediately - not even to ride it home - untill it's put right, however most will turn a blind eye, give you a gentle ticking off, or if unlucky a £30 fine and rectification notice, which must be signed by an MOT station to say it's been put right (the verification is at your expense - commonly £5) and then presented to the police station within a specified number of days. Points are not issued for noisy cans.

J.P
22-05-2007, 10:27 PM
thanks guys. lots of advice cheers.

Mr C
23-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Heres a small bit of interesting stuff... Bikes built before August 1996 do not have to have BS or E marked Exhausts. So sell your new fangles machines and go vintage.. Its worth it to have one up on PC Plod

gremlin
23-05-2007, 08:13 AM
is it not 1986 ?

Gilps
23-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I've cut and pasted this from a previous post so apologies if it looks familiar. To clarify the MOT position:

There is no sound level limit for the MOT. I've just checked with my friendly MOT tester next door and we went throught the VOSA handbook. For the MOT they have to check three things.
1. That the exhaust is in reasonable condition. It must not be deteriorated to the point where holes reduce the effectiveness of the silencer.
2. The silencer must reduce noise to a level where it is not excessive compared to a standard exhaust system fitted to the same model bike, in average condition.
3. It must not have any markings indicating that it is unsuitable ie: "not for road use" or "track use only".
And thats it. It really is down to their discretion.

As Zimbo pointed out, this is for MOT, not what the police are interested in.

Heed
23-05-2007, 10:03 AM
You could always buy one of these.

Link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aprilia-ducati-bimota-mv-mz-bmw-exhaust-e-mark-sticker_W0QQitemZ290116233921QQihZ019QQcategoryZ25 623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Problem fixed.

JamesM750
23-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I seem to have polished my pride and joy so much that some wording, can’t remember what it said, seems to have been polished right off my pipes.

What did you use to polish out the afforementioned wording?

Macca
23-05-2007, 10:43 AM
What did you use to polish out the aforementioned wording?

I'm interested in the answer to this - I might have a few 'scratches' that need polishing out as well :yoparty:

Cheers

Macca

JamesM750
23-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I had a feeling this quesiton had come up before, there are a couple of options on here for polishing out scrtaches and nasty markings. Are there any other suggestions?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=18836&highlight=polish

slob
23-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aprilia-ducati-bimota-mv-mz-bmw-exhaust-e-mark-sticker_W0QQitemZ290116233921QQihZ019QQcategoryZ25 623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Problem fixed.

...but if you get caught, expect a little more than a slapped wrist!

yeharrr
23-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Re: polishing out nasty markings. £20 bench grinder from wicks. Fit it with a coarse(ish) polishing wheel (get them cheep at any classic bike show). Use coarse polishing past; I think it is normally the brown block. Then buff it up with a softer polishing wheel and fine past. If you have termis then you can fit the bands back to front, the holes line up, that way the polished area is hidden behind the carbon heat shield – on high level pipes. If you find that the polished area is a bit too shiny, Gently go over it with some fine wet and dry and then give it another quick polish to try and match the mill finish on the bands. The stamping can be quite deep, so it takes a while, but is doable with very good results. Careful not to let the spinning wheel grab the band and twist the heck out of it. Ta da!

yeharrr
23-05-2007, 05:33 PM
When I say back to front, I don't meen inside out!!! Just rotate them round through 180 degrees

Heed
23-05-2007, 05:43 PM
...but if you get caught, expect a little more than a slapped wrist!

Unless you put it on a brand new bike you can just say you bought it like that and didn't know any better. Might work.

bigredduke
23-05-2007, 05:47 PM

Problem fixed.

Unfortunately, the regs specify that markings have to be indelibly stamped so I doubt even the thickest plod would accept a sticker. Anyone know a good engraver?:look: