PDA

View Full Version : Help! It won't start.

DavidEJM
21-05-2007, 08:25 PM
GRRRRRR! I need help! (No, not that kind of help).

I bought a low mileage 2005 800 injection monster a few weeks ago on ebay. I think I got it for a good price and the seller kindly delivered it to my parents house which was a few miles away. They rode the bike there and it apparently was parked in the garage without a problem.

I am sooooo busy at the moment, so the first opportunity I had to get up there (to the North East) to collect it was this weekend. I didn't fancy riding all the way back as I've been off bikes for a while so I took a trailer to collect it (luckily).

The bike was as I expected. Immaculate, no indication of any damage and apparently never been out in the rain.

I put the keys in the ignition (after mastering the Datatool 3 alarm system and immobiliser) and nothing happened. It appeared that the battery was flat. Not that surprised, the seller had fallen pregnant and the bike had been off the road since October (at least it had not been taxed since then) and then parked in my parents garage for about 5 weeks. It may also have been left with the parking lights on due to my Dad moving it about and turning the key too much. There was some life in the battery as the lights came on, but not enough to power the horn as well. So obviously it was not going to start.

OK no problem, I thought, get it home buy a new battery and go for a ride. Well it appears that there has been a run on YT12B-BS batteries coz I can't get one round here for love nor money!

I bought an Optimate III today and took the battery off the bike and connected the charger. About 2 or 3 hours later the green light was on and I was a happy bunny. Battery back on the bike. Get on and start her up.

OK, she started, ticked over for a few seconds (a bit rough) but thats OK as it has not been started for a few weeks and it was cold. Tried to give it a few revs and it cut out abruptly. Again I put this down to being cold and thought I'd just restart it and be a bit more patient to let it warm up on tickover.

But it was not to be. The lights were on, the horn worked OK but when I pressed the starter, there was a faint 'electrical noise' below me but it was obviously not turning the engine over. I put an electrical tester over the battery and it was good for 12.5 volts at rest (dunno about under load).

So being a bit of a newby, those that have not yet fallen asleep, WHAT HAVE I GOT TO DO TO GET IT MAKING MOTORBIKE NOISES!!!

Shandy
21-05-2007, 08:42 PM
First of all good rant :thumbsup:

Ok a list of things to do,

New battery (which you know about) it sounds like it's just not hold a charge, change plugs, fresh fuel and maybe a small service would be a good idea just to freshen it up especially where its been stood for a while.

After a bit a perseverance it'll work, from what you said it sounds pretty mint which is sign its been looked after but also maybe a little neglected and left in the garage for too long. Check the service history (if you have one) and find out when the belts were last done, time and maybe a little cash now will pay off in the long run.

Good Luck!!

Cheers,

Shandy

DavidEJM
21-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Cheers Shandy, it has been said before that I rant well. Practice, you know!!!

Planned to have a service immediately but really just want to have a play first. It would also be easier to ride the bike to the 'shop' for a service. Belts too you reckon.?!

DM

PS. Good colour eh!:yoparty:

Shandy
21-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh yes the best and fastest colour choice you could of made :D

Belts yes every two years religiously, depending on how handy you are with the spanners there easy to change yourself. Apparently when bikes have been stood for a long time they take the shape of the pulleys so don't run properly and can then snap in a worst case :shocked: That's why it's worth a look through any history you have.

adds666
21-05-2007, 09:08 PM
My electrics were playing up. Go through all connections and seal em using vaseline. dont worry bout smothering it in the plugs etc cos they will still work. just make sure its really packed out. Stops the water getting in.

Mines got its MOT tomo in time for the weekender so hopefully it passes. 53 plate so its its first one
:(

Albie
21-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Just sounds like the battery to me.£40 and your laughing plus stale fuel.

DavidEJM
21-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd be laughing if I could get one. Did the rounds of the local suppliers and no-one has one and they think it could be a couple of days before they manage to get any in!! Plus they seem to be talking about £70 at least!

Shandy
21-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I've no idea if these are any good or not but e-bay could be your friend for this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GEL-Battery-DUCATI-MONSTER-2001-and-later_W0QQitemZ110003305850QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1044 8QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Maybe someone on here's got or used one before???

DavidEJM
21-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh yes the best and fastest colour choice you could of made :D

Belts yes every two years religiously, depending on how handy you are with the spanners there easy to change yourself. Apparently when bikes have been stood for a long time they take the shape of the pulleys so don't run properly and can then snap in a worst case :shocked: That's why it's worth a look through any history you have.

Fairly handy with the spanners but mostly on cars in recent years. Is there a manual or something online to follow?

Shandy
22-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Fairly handy with the spanners but mostly on cars in recent years. Is there a manual or something online to follow?

Haynes manuals are ok, as with all of them they miss a few important pictures and descriptions but as a base are pretty good.

These videos are great on youtube and cover most of the general service need to do stuff,

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=cacycleworksdotcom&p=r

Cheers,

Shandy

DavidEJM
22-05-2007, 06:22 PM
New battery from OYB Aylesbury (£90 :shocked: won't be sitting down for a while, that hurt!) and it all runs beautifully. Can't talk now. Off for a gentle run in the Oxfordshire countryside!

scrumpster
22-05-2007, 06:27 PM
New battery from OYB Aylesbury (£90 :shocked: won't be sitting down for a while, that hurt!) and it all runs beautifully. Can't talk now. Off for a gentle run in the Oxfordshire countryside!

But don't forget the belts!!! :shocked:

DavidEJM
22-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Lovely lovely lovely. And, no I won't forget the belts.

Albie
23-05-2007, 08:16 AM
They sell batterys online for £50 delivered. Too late now but never mind. You were ripped off unless its a Gel one :hissy:

DavidEJM
23-05-2007, 08:28 PM
They sell batterys online for £50 delivered. Too late now but never mind. You were ripped off unless its a Gel one :hissy:

Oh, I know I wa ripped off :Furious: , I knew that before I got there. I just had to get it running and get on it though. I was fed up waiting and couldn't wait for a battery to be delivered.

Sometimes you just have to dig deep and pay up!:grump:

The main thing is I have got it running and I have been out on it for my maiden voyage and can now get it booked in for a service and have the belts changed etc. etc. It is early days, I know, but I'm enjoying it muchly so far!:banana: