PDA

View Full Version : Zimbo's Mallory Desmodue report 20/05/07

Zimbo
21-05-2007, 05:08 AM
My biggest ever crash, plus ride of my life!

The day started well, Gilps and I had an enjoyable evening and a good night's sleep, got the bikes scrutineered, Slob turned up on his very tidy "refreshed" 620 (very nice Rob), went out for untimed practice on a dry track, I registered fourth fastest out of 30 odd with a 1.05.6, a second slower than fastest. not too worried at this stage as I did 1.03.7 there last track day I did. A good qualifying should put me on the front row.
Qualifying - made a classic error. Mallory has the fastest corner on the british club race scene (thruxton excluded) Gerrards is a long long 100+mph constant radius right hander as many UKMOC members will know, and that's about how fast i tipped in on my first hot lap, before the tyres had got properly warm. Result - high speed lowside, tarmac interface then tumbling through the gravel to an eventual stop, luckilly I was totally uninjured and the bike only superficially damaged - screen plus sticky-out bits (bar, brake lever, footrest). Recovered back to paddock at the end of the session, leathers are trashed, shredded at the forearm where the stitching all burst open and a big hole in the shoulder, nothing else damaged kit wise luckilly.
Slob set to work immediately with Mand's Alex whilst official event brolly dolly Mand looked on in shock, they did an absolutely stirling job repairing the bike, missed race 1 whilst it was sorted and watched a scrappy race with several red flags and restarts, a couple of injuries picked up by fallen riders.
Saw the Clerk of the Course and got permission to start at the back of the grid for race 2, as I hadn't posted a qualifying time. Borrowed a set of leathers, lined up on the back of the grid for race 2 in 27th position. 10 lap race, sighting lap, lights out, made a good start and passed two rows before Gerrards, round the outside of a few more round Gerrards and up the inside of more on the brakes into Edwinas and the Hairpin, race was red flagged after three laps due to another faller and injury, by which time I was up to 6th. Sent back to grid in original positions for the restart, so back to 27th for me, shame, race now reduced to 8 laps. Sighting lap, lights, another good start, repeat of start 1, made up a load of places but red flagged again after a lap, another faller. Back to grid, back on 27th yet again! Still eight laps to run, another sighting lap, lights, repeat first start perfomance, this time the race runs it's distance, three laps in and positions start to become harder to pick up, trying to drive hard round the outside of two people round Gerrards but they weren't letting me go that easy, side by side at full throttle 100mph knee dragging, hard and late on the brakes into Edwinas, no way through, managed to get past one round the outside of Gerrards eventually and the second very very late and hard on the brakes into Edwinas, he tried hard to outbrake me and left it too late, ran wide so I nipped up the inside and made it stick on the last lap, at the flag I was up to third and got a trophy to take home at least! Ended 5 seconds behind second place and 11 behind the leader.
So, a mixed weekend, I should be upset about the off and lack of qualifying as I should have got two second places today I reckon which would have put me second in the championship instead of my current fifth, but I got off so lightly after a near 100mph crash I reckon I should just settle for that, shame to miss out on race 1 but getting from 27th to 3rd in race 2 was a reasonable achievement so overall I'm happy. Thanks to Slob and Alex for all the team help, would have been so much harder without you guys, and to Mand for the encouragement!
Few pics to follow, next outing is next Saturday at Donington Bikefest followed by a brief appearance at the Mill for Sat night / Sun morning, then one weekend off and then Assen. Bike is now looking very gravel rashed, which is how it'll stay for a bit I fear!!!

Zimbo
21-05-2007, 05:11 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/IMG_1149.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/IMG_1150.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/IMG_1157.jpg

fatbloke
21-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Great work Zimbo glad you're ok
Good to see the UKMOC stcker is still intact

David Matthews
21-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Well done, was thinking of going to the Castle Combe round, will definately try to make it having read your account of the racing

Zimbo
21-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Great work Zimbo glad you're ok
Good to see the UKMOC stcker is still intact

That UKMOC sticcker is my guardian angel :)

psychlist
21-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Poor old Monica is used to looking like that Graeme, the main thing is you're not gravel rashed yourself! Shame you had to pick a circuit you're familiar with to do it on as I thought you'd stand a good chance of a win around Mallory! Hope you're not feeling too battered today mate, good luck at Assen.

Shandy
21-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Wow busy day!!!!

Great result in the second race from the back of the grid Zimbo, another trophy and i'm liking the new never been washed look of the bike ;)

Oh and it looks like Gilps had a good weekend too, i can't see any damage to the JCB from the pics :D

Cheers

Shandy

fatbloke
21-05-2007, 06:37 AM
That UKMOC sticcker is my guardian angel :)

I'll bring you a spare on Thursday, you may need it!

slob
21-05-2007, 06:38 AM
...i'm liking the new never been washed look of the bike

Cheeky!

(I'm going to start a garden centre, I got about 5kg of gravel out of the belly pan and another kilo or so from other nooks and crannies.)

eonan
21-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Superb Zimbo...what a ride...bit like Camier at Oulten yesterday. I can see how you might be a little frustrated at what could have been, but like you say the off could have been so much worse. Glad you're OK and best of luck for next weekend mate :thumbsup:

Albie
21-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Well done fella for a good effort. Keep it up.:mand:

singletrack
21-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for a great report Zimbo - I was holding my breath whilst reading it. :hail:
It looks like the great final race made up for a poor start to the weekend.
Well done.

Mand
21-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I was just so glad we "eventually" got to track after the clutch mishap on Alex's bike.

Graeme, you were totally ace, I think the last time I got that excited was when Troy beat JT over the line at Assen. :D :hail:

Well done to Gilps too, I think you are all really brave but everso slightly mad as well!

Alex got a few nice shots of you all, I'll get him to burn you a CD and we will take them to Arrow Mill if you like?

Am I the only poor devil that has a bright red face this morning?

PS I have just read you are going to be Silverstone Graeme....? Oh lord, I am going to have a wobbly knee moment now being surrounded by you AND Troy!!!! :D

singletrack
21-05-2007, 08:24 AM
:twak: Hands off Troy Mand!

He's mine :)

Zimbo
21-05-2007, 09:32 AM
PS I have just read you are going to be Silverstone Graeme....? Oh lord, I am going to have a wobbly knee moment now being surrounded by you AND Troy!!!! :D

I would say Troy is far more likely to induce wobbly knees than me :D

You're going then??? That's less Tiramasu for us all then!!!!!

Thanks again for the support, was good to see you!

benson
21-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Blimey - what a read! Really exciting and a huge well done Zimbo - as soon as DD is back in the UK I'll be fighting Mand for that brolly!!!

Seriously tho - Well done mate for the second race and the 5th position overall - great stuff!!!

See you Thursday night then, and I'll have a backpack for any spare Tiramisu!!!

Mand
21-05-2007, 12:38 PM
You're going then??? That's less Tiramasu for us all then!!!!!

I really DON'T know what you are talking about! :mand:

Zimbo
21-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, I suppose you've scoffed all the evidence . . . :D

Mr Cake
29-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Just spotted this section! :o It was my first vist to Mallory and my first look at the DD champs. I was really impressed with the organisation and also the standard of the bikes. It's a proper show!

Good to hear you had a good result, Zimbo! Your bike was in a right state when I arrived at the track! I had to go just as the second race was starting :thumbsdown: Good to meet a few people, put faces to names etc - AK, Alex (you looked busy), Slob, Mand (my personal tour guide for the day :chuckle: cheers chuck!), Gilps (you haven't met me before :chuckle: ), and anyone I forgot to mention.

See you at Oulton!

Dave