PDA

View Full Version : monster 620 ie starting!

nbatty3
20-05-2007, 08:00 PM
hello can you guys help?
my girl friend has a 620 ie! it has a very annoying thing of having to be in neutral and reset the ignition when stalled is there any way of bypassing this function?
i know it's a safty feature!! but.... this takes what feels like ages when sat at traffic lights or junctions and either it cuts out or she stalls especially dangerous at a lot of T junctions rolling very slowly with cars ploughing towards her!
(i know tell her not to stall it!!! but to be fair to her it's not always her, it's done it to me before with no warning!)

thanks nbatty3(neil)

nbatty3
21-05-2007, 05:42 PM
any help? please???

bod
21-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Guess the only way the bikes ECU/brain will know it is gear, is by using the neutral switch try disconecting it it will either be a normal open or closed contact.

Be warned it is there for a reason and will proberbly stop the neutral light form working on the dash!

Jes
21-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I bought one of those mod kits that mean the engine will still run with the stand down (just like every other bike in the world). It means that I can also fire it up in gear as long as the clutch is in (just like every other bike in the world).

I bought the mod kit from ebay for less than £20 and even I managed to fit it OK, so anyone with half a brain can do it even quicker.

The safety cut out on Ducati was the one thing that used to drive me scatty, modifying it was the best thing I've done. Actually no, the cans and paint job were, but you know what I mean.

Why is it stalling though? Purely rider error? I don't think I've ever stalled mine, or had it cut out unexpectedly.

Gilps
21-05-2007, 06:15 PM
hello can you guys help?
my girl friend has a 620 ie! it has a very annoying thing of having to be in neutral and reset the ignition when stalled is there any way of bypassing this function?
i know it's a safty feature!! but.... this takes what feels like ages when sat at traffic lights or junctions and either it cuts out or she stalls especially dangerous at a lot of T junctions rolling very slowly with cars ploughing towards her!
(i know tell her not to stall it!!! but to be fair to her it's not always her, it's done it to me before with no warning!)

thanks nbatty3(neil)

If you are saying she has just stalled it, then she should NOT have to put it back into neutral and switch it off then back on again before restarting, unless anyone on here knows different. If it is still in gear it will start with the clutch pulled in. The only time it won't start in gear, even with the clutch in, is with the sidestand down, for obvious reasons. She's not putting the sidestand down after stalling is she? That doesn't make sense.
I've had mine die whilst crawling along before. I pull the clutch in whilst rolling along, hit the button and off I go again.

Gilps
21-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I've just remembered, I've got a 620ie. I've read the manual and it clearly states that the bike can be restarted in gear with the clutch pulled in, but the sidestand must be up. It can also be started in neutral with the sidestand down, so no need for the bypass kit. That is for earlier models and sportsbikes I think.

Headhunter
21-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I've just remembered, I've got a 620ie. I've read the manual and it clearly states that the bike can be restarted in gear with the clutch pulled in, but the sidestand must be up. It can also be started in neutral with the sidestand down, so no need for the bypass kit. That is for earlier models and sportsbikes I think.

Mines a 2004/5 model and does exactly what Gilps says above. Thankfully she rarely stalls and it's usually coz I'm trying to pull away from standstill in 2nd gear.

Never had to fiddle around with any of the above from earlier posts.

SazzaG
21-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Mine's a 2002/03 620ie, and like Gilps says, will start in gear if the clutch is pulled in. It certainly doesn't need the ignition reset (unless I take more than 30 seconds).

Bit of a mystery really!

Jim66a
21-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Its maybe a faulty sidestand switch causing the engine to stop?

nbatty3
22-05-2007, 04:47 PM
If you are saying she has just stalled it, then she should NOT have to put it back into neutral and switch it off then back on again before restarting, unless anyone on here knows different. If it is still in gear it will start with the clutch pulled in. The only time it won't start in gear, even with the clutch in, is with the sidestand down, for obvious reasons. She's not putting the sidestand down after stalling is she? That doesn't make sense.
I've had mine die whilst crawling along before. I pull the clutch in whilst rolling along, hit the button and off I go again.

mmm strange hers is a 2003 and definatly needs resetting and neutraliseing before restart it does say in her book will start in gear with stand up clucth in but i doesnt?? it has to be within about 15 seconds of of key reset too
oh dear! i'll buzz ducati tomorrow if i have no lusk i'll try the by pass thing thanks fella's ( side stand up at all times!)

SazzaG
22-05-2007, 05:03 PM
The starting within 15 seconds thing is right. I can't see the sidestand bypass thing making a difference to your problem - still a good mod to do though. Doesn't affect safety, as the bike will still cut out if you put it in gear with the sidestand down.

It does sound like you've got some sort of problem. Hope you get it sorted!

colin ellis
22-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I bought one of those mod kits that mean the engine will still run with the stand down (just like every other bike in the world). It means that I can also fire it up in gear as long as the clutch is in (just like every other bike in the world).

I bought the mod kit from ebay for less than £20 and even I managed to fit it OK, so anyone with half a brain can do it even quicker.

The safety cut out on Ducati was the one thing that used to drive me scatty, modifying it was the best thing I've done. Actually no, the cans and paint job were, but you know what I mean.

Why is it stalling though? Purely rider error? I don't think I've ever stalled mine, or had it cut out unexpectedly.

Hi there, look on Ducati Suite.com for the gen on by-passing the side stand switch. You only need a bit of wire! I did it and it works! Good luck

nbatty3
24-05-2007, 05:31 PM
spoke to the people at lincoln they think it a relay sticking so it's booked in i'll keep you posted thanks for your help so far!!!!