PDA

View Full Version : S2R800 or S2R1000 - opinions needed

gary tompkins
18-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi All,

I'm posting this question for a mate Chris who is contemplating chopping in his Speed Triple for a monster. He would like to hear opinions from current owners of the S2R800 & S2R1000 such as...

Good and bad points

Servicing costs & dealer attitude

Fuel consumption

Reliability etc....

I think he may find the 800 a bit underpowered after the Triumph, but the 800 is supposed to be the "riders bike" as the modern equivalent of the old 750. He's also concerned the 1000's clutch may be a bit heavy, and wonders if anyone's bothered to do an evolution type mod on the slave?

Chris isn't registered on the UKMOC site but will be monitoring replies - so fire away...

Cheers :mand:

singletrack
18-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Is he considering new or used?

Hubby has a 1 year old black and white S2R1000 that has only done 600 miles, completely standard except for DP seat. :shocked:

What a waste of money that was!

He may be interested in selling, but I haven't asked him about a price yet - PM me if you/he want further details

Half Man Half Mole
18-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I would (and did) got for the 1000. My previous bike was a 748 SPS and I find the Monster a much easier and more rewarding ride.

I have written a very brief review of mine which you may find of some use here: http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5708

Regards

Mike

sadbiker
18-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Good and bad points

Q-Servicing costs & dealer attitude

A-Well aint going to be much different in cost other than extra 2 spark plugs.

Q-Fuel consumption

A- I can get 120 to 130 max out of a S2R1000(any more and your walking), but it is a very small tank.

Q-Reliability etc....

A- They are both as reliable as each other. My 1st S2R1000 did 4500 miles in 4 months with no problems, my second I have had to have the clocks replaced (no hassle) but other than that seems ok.

I have the mpl slave on my S2R1000 and seems ok.

I would suggest the 1000 after a speed triple, The 1000 has fully adjustable showas on front, full 4 pot brembos, much nicer look to equipment bolted onto the handlbars (clutch & brake).

neilbaldry
18-05-2007, 10:01 AM
ive got the 800, and the only 'plus points' i cant think of are:

slipper clutch
slightly lower insurance.

its a very subdued bike, not a mentalist at all. i'd say it would be a better town bike than the thou, because of the lighter clutch action, and it being not so much of a beast. with 80 odd horsepower, it isnt going set the world on fire of any wheelie happy sports bike riders, but its a good solid bike to either start your big bike life, or for something a little more friendly.

gary tompkins
18-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Is he considering new or used?

Hubby has a 1 year old black and white S2R1000 that has only done 600 miles, completely standard except for DP seat. :shocked:

What a waste of money that was!

He may be interested in selling, but I haven't asked him about a price yet - PM me if you/he want further details

He's looking at new AFAIK to give him the PX option on the Triumph, but may be interested in a low milage 2nd hand one if the price is right. He's seen a new S2R1000 in a dealers going for £6300 - which sound like a good price?

Keep the replies coming - thanks :thumbsup:

moor-ph0
18-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi,
I have the M1000ie which shares the same engine as the S2R1000. Owned her three years - covered 26,000 miles and apart from mostly cosmetic issues i.e paint etc she's been very reliable and I use her all year round including commuting through city traffic. The heavy clutch can be a pain but I've sort of got used to it. To cope with salt/snow conditions I've replaced pretty much all the fasteners with stainless and some titanium. The fastener issue applies to pretty much any bike manufacturer - these zinc plated fasteners go furry in know time at all.
I've been runs with guys/gals from Ducati Up North and there's been some S2R800's and they have no problem keeping up.
I would imagine servicing costs are similar apart from one saving - only two sparkplugs required for the S2R800. I do like the single sided swing arm and would probably have bought one in preference to my M1000ie and it was my intention to trade her in after 3years. However I've grown so attached I don't want to part with her.
She's just been through her first MOT and passed with flying colours. In fact the MOT station wouldn't believe she's been through three winters so it's possible to keep a Monster looking good if you look after them.

Geoff

singletrack
18-05-2007, 12:42 PM
He's looking at new AFAIK to give him the PX option on the Triumph, but may be interested in a low milage 2nd hand one if the price is right. He's seen a new S2R1000 in a dealers going for £6300 - which sound like a good price?

Keep the replies coming - thanks :thumbsup:

No probs - I can't blame him. Sometimes it's easier to trade in and take a loss.
I will have a chat with Andy when he is home from work, to see what he will take for it anyway - we probably have to advertise it anyway. It's cluttering up the garage.

singletrack
18-05-2007, 12:49 PM
In my opinion, if he can put up with the clutch, or modify it, the S2R1000 will be the better option. I like the slipper clutch on the S2R800, but that's just personal preference.

I have the 800, which I love, but the 1000 comes with better spec - carbon fibre side panels, adjustable shocks, brakes that actually work. And it will be better matched to the Speed Triple for power than the 800.

I wouldn't swap my 800 now that I have got it how I want it - but the S2R1000 puts you in a better starting position. I believe its biggest problem is the smaller tank range - you are lucky to get much more than 100 miles before the light comes on. (It's 120-125 on the S2R800)

desmo
18-05-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a S2R 800.
It depends on how your mate rides, I traded in a 02 Fireblade for my Monster & I don't find my Monster lacking in any power at all.

It will fly up to any sensible speed in no time at all with all the excelleration that I need.

S2R 800
1. lower insurance (1 group lower)

2. Slightly lower serving costs (hardly worth a mention really)

3. Possible better tank range, depending how you ride, I get 135 / 140 on a run before the light comes on.

4. I am not sure if I like the slipper clutch, as it bites at nearly it's full travel.

5. it's not very pillion friendly, although I don't think the Monster range as a whole is very pillion friendly.

6. Non adjustable front forks, although I have never had any problems with the front end & it feels just about right to me. (the S2R 1000 has fully adjustable forks)

7. Front brakes are weird, it's not as though they are not powerfull enough, they will haul you up really fast & smoke the front tyre if you are brutal enough, it's just that they lack any feel. (from what I have read on this forum, the S2R 1000 brakes are much better.

All in all, the only bits I don't like about my bike are the clutch action & the crappy front brakes, riding solo I have got used to it, but on the rare occasion that I have taken a pillion the brakes are truly orrible.

I bought the Monster after years on Jap sportsbikes & I had a 955i Speed Triple, I have got to say that the Monster is in my opinion a better bike than the Speed Triple that I had. The Monster's riding position - power delivery - ride quality is much better & the noise of a Monster with a aftermarket can is awsome :biggrin:

Desmo.

scrumpster
18-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Well as you know I have just bought a 2006 model S2R 800. The 2007 models have half servicing costs, so that is something to look for.

I commute on mine and use it long distance and find it is not over powered for slow traffic and the slipper clutch is a godsend, easy to use.

The power is there for overtaking and I manage to keep up with my mates on their bigger bikes.

The brakes are brilliant compared to my old M600 so a lot of this will depend on what someone has been used to previously.

Also look out for deals on the old 2006 models :D

gary tompkins
18-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks to all that have posted so far. Looks like the S2R1000 has a lot going for it although tank range is poor compared to other monsters. I regularly get 150 miles to reserve on my 900ie, and even get 130+ on the trike. I guess the smaller capacity makes all the difference. Beats me why the factory fitted a smaller tank - I know it's a real problem on the S4R which is more thirsty. I've heard they can hit reserve in less than 100 miles :eek:

I did this search tonight and found 24 owners listed...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/memberlist.php?do=getall

There are a lot more S2R1000 owners lurking out there

So get posting peeps :spin:

Mrs Soup
21-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Can't comment on the comparison as I have no experience of the 1000. I'm too short to get on it even if it is the better bike.

The brakes on the 800 can catch you out once in a while, but will stop you if you grab a hanfull.

I'm amazed at the economy everyone else claims for their s2r though - I only got 120+ before the light when I was running in, am now lucky to get 110.... Can't be my riding, I ride like a girl!!!!

moor-ph0
22-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi,
Bike : M1000ie - Same engine as S2R1000
Front sprocket 14T - rear standard
Commuting (30/40 speed zones): around 85mpg before fuel light comes on - that's when filled on the side stand. Another 15miles max before I need to push - happened once or twice!!
Rural - Using all the gears at speeds around 80/90: Filled whilst sitting on the bike i.e more upright. Generally manage 120mpg before fuel light comes on. I've covered another 30miles before dead stop.

On the occasions I've run out of petrol I've only managed around 13.5litres into the tank. Phoned Ducati and they estimate around 1litre is unaccessible due to the position of the pump and the fact it's not great so suck up any crap from the bottom of the tank. So you're 15litre tank only delivers around 13.5 to 14litres??

Geoff