PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Monster?

Seb_uk
16-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Has anyone seen the new edition of MCN?

Looks like Ducati are going to be releasing a completely new monster later in the year. It may not have been a bad thing except that the new one looks like a cross between a Kawasaki Z750 & a multistrada! Noooooooooooooooooo!!!! :(
I dont know about you guys but I think the boys in Bologna will be making a big mistake if they kill of the current monster design. Don't get me wrong - I think progress is a good thing, but why change the timeless beauty of the monster. If it aint broke then don't fix it!

Seb

Pedro
16-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I reckon the pics aint so bad, not sure about the headlight but everything else looks ok to me.

But....

It's an MCN airbrush picture so the real thing could be completely different...

markus
16-05-2007, 02:15 PM
But....

Let's hope so - i think it looks gash, but hey it's another reason noty to buy MCN - weak read that it is ha ha...

Personally i don't think they should change it, maybe bring out another naked, but never replace......chance would be a fine thing..

damon
16-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree, in general the body shape isnt that bad if not a little skinny looking but that headlight has to go cos its just not ducati.....suzuki yes...Ducati NO

Seb_uk
16-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Lets hope they give the design a bit of muscle & stick with the round light - besides thats one of the most recognisable things about a monster. Is it just me, or do ducati seem to be developing a habit of strange headlights on replacement models? 999 after the 996 anyone? At least they went back to the 916 esque lights for the 1098. Lets hope they dont make the same mistake with the monster that they made with the 999!

Seb

banditloon
16-05-2007, 02:29 PM
So it's time to buy up all the 'classic' Monsters then ;)

Is there a Gatso on the back of the bike then???? :chuckle:

Sorry, gave up reading 'Gatso' weekly about 4 years ago. Nothing ever remotely interesting in there IMO, unless you like reading about Gatsos and how the police will kill off motorcycling every week of course ;)

Mostro69
16-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Can't find the pic on the web - any way you could post it on here, Seb?

Seb_uk
16-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Sorry mate, no can do as am in work at the mo & dont have PC at home. May appear on MCN website at some point...Going on from what banditloon said I'm not sure it's worth spending £1.80 on the paper copy - It is pretty much doom & gloom.....police issuing asbo's against bikers, etc.....:(

Mostro69
16-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I just popped next door into newsagents to see this thing - I don't find it hugely offensive but let's hope MCN's airbrush team don't work for Ducati's design team.

Seb_uk
16-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I guess I'm kinda nostalgic about the current monster design as it seems to have been around forever....I guess a new design is probably inevitable am just hoping ducacti stay loyal to some extent to the monsters characteristics such as the round headlight. At least the aircooled 695 engine is apparently staying the same in the new model so all is not lost!

Darry
16-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Those exhaust look Kack! (sp?) Way too long... what's the point of getting rid of the tea tray and then have the exhaust sticking out further than the seat hump!? Makes her loose her curves :(

Agree with the comments about the lights

What's that ruddy silver piece of metal doing coming out from under the 'plastic' (should be carbon!) side panel connecting to the red trellis frame... perhaps just a dodgy MCN artist?

Needs a belly pan, pillion footrests?! :scratch: And put another front disk on!

Are they hand guards?

Darry.

Combatxe2
16-05-2007, 04:16 PM
looks like someone at MCN has taken lots of little bits from every ducati, those hand guards look very hypermotard to me!!!

Mark

neilbaldry
16-05-2007, 04:28 PM
is there no picture on the internet? a link would be swell, as im no where near a copy of MCN or near a newsagents!

although i wouldnt trust MCN. i remember seeing a thing about BMW making a motogp bike in 2004 or 2005, then in feb they had the same image with a headlight and indicators photoshopped on and its now their sports bike. they are bull**** merchants who only wanna sell copies of their paper. like any tabloid, they will bend the truth or even lie to get you to buy their paper!

neilbaldry
16-05-2007, 04:32 PM
to be honest, all i think Ducati should do is make them all SR bikes. have a 695, and 800, then the S4R and the S4Rs. just my 2 pence worth

NattyBoy
16-05-2007, 04:33 PM
dont pay too much attention boys and girls.

If they have even half a clue they wouldnt do a lot worse than the new moto morini...

McMONSTRO
16-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Yes the cans do look awfull, but not as bad as that Suzuki B-king thing! Apparentley huge exhausts symbolise power in japan which is why chavs put drainpipes on their novas!
Perhaps they have put the cat in the cans as the cow udder is missing too as well as the other disc! I tend to like the "new" shape headlight, sort of Brutale look but it needs a small fairing round it.
And the water cooled S4R and S4RS are "set to die", that will please a few on here then!
Instead we are to get a "stripped down version of the 1098 with radically styled panels for a more aggressive look" Cant wait to see that!!!! :D

According to MCN last year there was a Honda 990 V5 Moto GP replica coming out as well! wonder where that is????

McMonstro

Neal B
16-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Picture on here ... much prefer the current model. http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=79765.25

desmo
16-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Couldn't found a photo on the MCN site, so here is a scan.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/NewMonster1.jpg

It has to be remembered that this is only an artists impression of what the new Monster is going to look like, although it has to be said that MCN are usually pretty close to the mark with these mock ups.

I actually quite like it, ther is no doubt that although I love my S2R, the Monster range is in need of an update.

Some of you have said you don't like the cans? but how many people will not fit aftermarket cans?

Also, it looks like we are going to get the 1100cc DS engine

The only extra thing I would like to have seen on the new Monster was some underseat storage, just enough for a lock & chain would do, maybe they may have tought of this?

Or how about twin headlamps like the Speed Triple or a stepped seat with a flip up rear section like a Fireblade for storage?

What do you reckon?

Desmo.

jerry
16-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I will only buy bikes with proper round headlights

I hate the looks of these new aerodynamic lights on many bikes

jerry

neilbaldry
16-05-2007, 07:48 PM
i really am not a fan of that. over the current SR range, that isnt a step forwards in design. it reminds me of that new BMW G650 Country, but with the singer sider. to me it looks like a boring hypermotard.

desmo
16-05-2007, 07:59 PM
One thing that does bother me though is that my wife has a 620 Monster, she is only 5ft 4ins tall & can get both feet flat down & she feels confidant on it, when she try's to sit on my S2R her legs are swinging way above the floor & there is no way she would attempt to ride it.

Will all the new range be fitted with the single sided swing arm? if so they may be to tall for a lot of short arse's

Desmo.

gremlin
16-05-2007, 08:04 PM
EEk I'm only 5' 1 and my monnies lowered tothe enth degree so I can get half my foot down so I guess I won't be getting one, not that Father Christmas is ever that generous. I don't mind it but I'm not keen on having lots of space around the back wheel, it's a bone of contention with himself over the Max because he's created more space with the new arm.

benson
16-05-2007, 09:09 PM
In the words of Michael Winner..................

Caim down dear - it's only an advert!!!

he he he he he he he he he

Guzzirider
17-05-2007, 06:28 AM
It is the usual MCN made up speculation because there is not enough real news every week for them to publish.

Albie
17-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Its ok.A bit like the 1098 when press spy pics were shown. It had some bits that wernt liked. Still are things I dont like about it like the horrible exhaust cover plate.

Things I dont like about this mock up are exhaust shape and headlight.
Its not a great mockup as look at the fit of the front mudguard about 1"1/2 clearance and the fact its got a dual seat and cover and no pillion pegs even fitted. Will this be an option then.
Dont they like having good stoppers on the front anymore then.Maybe the car industry should just put discs on the front of their cars then.:rolleyes:

MilesB
17-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Just remember folks, it's an MCN mock-up photoshop bodge.

The information they confirmed in the text was:
Use of Multistrada or similar frame - so possibly the bike will be taller and shorter - not so much of a reach to the bars, and probably a more upright riding position. :thumbsup:
Underseat exhausts - also a feature of the Multistrada (best looking ar$e-end in the business). :thumbsup:
Tank to be more angular and 'edgy' - so totally UNLIKE what they have depicted. :twak:
Sloping headlight - possibly use the unit from the Hypermotard?
I like the use of the Hypermotard handlebars with built in indicators / built in mirrors - and ties in with the 'Parts bin special' ethos of the Monster.

Personally I'm not a fan of single sided swing arms, preferring the symetry of conventional units.

Use off 1100DS motor in first option - well that isn't going to get away with one disc now is it?

Looks like a poor bodge to me - image does not even match the text...
But then it is MCN

With improved riding geometry this could get me back on a Monster, but thgere is also the possibility of the new non-Monster 695 'entry level bike' that Ducati have spoken of - which means the 'new' Monster wont be available in 695 size.

Miles

gremlin
17-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I thought I was being silly about not liking single swing arms, but I'm in favour of symmetry too. I don't mind the front too much and the folding mirror thing is good for filtering. Not sure how much you'll actually see in the mirrors, I would have thought arms would get in the way or am I having a blonde moment?

Mr Cake
17-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I like it.

Dave

Mand
17-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I like it.

Dave

and I like it too.... and luckily for me, I have long legs. :D

Mr Cake
17-05-2007, 12:47 PM
and I like it too.... and luckily for me, I have long legs. :D

We're still talking about the new Monster, aren't we? ;)

Dave

Mand
17-05-2007, 12:50 PM
We're still talking about the new Monster, aren't we? ;)

Dave

Now now Mr. Fiddler....... :D

neilbaldry
17-05-2007, 01:40 PM
thats what i love about mcn. between this 'first draft bodge', and the supposed new monster being released, i bet they will conjour up about another 3 or 4 different bikes. then, when the new monnie finally comes out, mcn will go back to the bodge that most looks like it, and say 'look! we told you so!'

i dont think they really have a clue!

DevilBoy
17-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Screw the new monster, did anyone read to the right of that, where they mentioned Ducati are developing a naked 1098, with aggressive street fighting looks?!!!?!?! :eyepopping:

I'm starting to save now!

gremlin
17-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Now that does sound promising!! May wean the other alf off Fazer and into the light.

Jim66a
17-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Would that supposed 1100 ds engine possibly leak its fluids all over the place from that vented clutch cover????

desmo
17-05-2007, 06:23 PM
They undoubtedly will make a 1098 version at some point, but to be honest I reckon it would be a bit pointless on a naked bike & pose value only.

The standard 1100DS will be plenty fast enough, look at the figures.

The present S2R 1000 produces it's max torque of 69.4 ibs ft @ 6000 rpm

The 1100 DS engine in the multistrada produces it's max torque of 75.9 lbs ft @ only 4750 rpm

The 1098 produces it's max torque of 90.4 lbs ft @ 8000 rpm

Forget BHP figures, they are meaningless for a road bike as max power is usually at the top of the rev range where the bike will spend little or no time at all.

What matters on a roadbike are 3 things.
1. the weight of the bike - 2. the max torque figure - 3. where in the rev range max torque is achieved.

Most people want instant power for overtakes & to be able to power out of bends without dancing on the gearlever, the 1100DS engine makes it's max torque at just the right point in the rev range where most people ride, most of the time, couple this with what will be a very light bike, probably 170 kgs or less, the new Monster 1100 DS will be a rocket ship, whilst matey boy with his race rep or 1098 engined Monster is busy changing down 2 gears to get in the powerband, the 1100 DS will have disapeared into the distance, by the time he catches up you will be well into licence losing teritory.

Desmo.

zxebeast
17-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Couldn't found a photo on the MCN site, so here is a scan.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/NewMonster1.jpg

It has to be remembered that this is only an artists impression of what the new Monster is going to look like, although it has to be said that MCN are usually pretty close to the mark with these mock ups.

I actually quite like it, ther is no doubt that although I love my S2R, the Monster range is in need of an update.

Some of you have said you don't like the cans? but how many people will not fit aftermarket cans?

Also, it looks like we are going to get the 1100cc DS engine

The only extra thing I would like to have seen on the new Monster was some underseat storage, just enough for a lock & chain would do, maybe they may have tought of this?

Or how about twin headlamps like the Speed Triple or a stepped seat with a flip up rear section like a Fireblade for storage?

What do you reckon?

Desmo.

i hope the mcn guys are out of their depth here cause that design simply sucks im afraid ! the SR design review made sense and kept the monster still lookin awesome...

that design is simply uninspired. the frame looks fat. the front hugger is awful. the pipes are out of proportion. the foldable mirrors are great but make it look like a frankensteinmotard. the front light is just NOT RIGHT. if you give up on the round headlight it probably wont deserve the monster badge anymore...

NOW that ENGINE is what GETS MY ADRENALINE FLOWIN just by lookin at it. a bigger meaner monster is all that i hope for and thats the right engine for it... and yeah aircooled please... :cool:

on the other hand i know that a naked 1098 that looks like a bimota delirio will also trigger my chequewriting abilities in less than sayin "3 nanoseconds".... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BRING IT ON DUCATI !

zxebeast
17-05-2007, 06:50 PM
They undoubtedly will make a 1098 version at some point, but to be honest I reckon it would be a bit pointless on a naked bike & pose value only.

The standard 1100DS will be plenty fast enough, look at the figures.

The present S2R 1000 produces it's max torque of 69.4 ibs ft @ 6000 rpm

The 1100 DS engine in the multistrada produces it's max torque of 75.9 lbs ft @ only 4750 rpm

The 1098 produces it's max torque of 90.4 lbs ft @ 8000 rpm

Forget BHP figures, they are meaningless for a road bike as max power is usually at the top of the rev range where the bike will spend little or no time at all.

What matters on a roadbike are 3 things.
1. the weight of the bike - 2. the max torque figure - 3. where in the rev range max torque is achieved.

Most people want instant power for overtakes & to be able to power out of bends without dancing on the gearlever, the 1100DS engine makes it's max torque at just the right point in the rev range where most people ride, most of the time, couple this with what will be a very light bike, probably 170 kgs or less, the new Monster 1100 DS will be a rocket ship, whilst matey boy with his race rep or 1098 engined Monster is busy changing down 2 gears to get in the powerband, the 1100 DS will have disapeared into the distance, by the time he catches up you will be well into licence losing teritory.

Desmo.

you got an interestin view goin on there desmo.

i agree those 3 things are key. however i put suspension/roadholding and general handling (you know all that stuff about CoG weight distribution, bike geometry etc) above all those 3 things... and of course LOOKS haha

Will
17-05-2007, 07:47 PM
That picture in MCN - that is NOT evoultion, it is a horrible mutation.

neilbaldry
17-05-2007, 08:12 PM
maybe we, of the UK Monsters, should do our own Monster Evolution? anyone good at photoshopping?

- After all, we are the buggers who will buy it, and we are the buggers who know our stuff!

neilbaldry
17-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll start the ball rolling with the specs i'd like to see.

1. 1100DS motor.
2. slightly bigger tank capacity.
3. Single Sided Swingarm.
4. Exhausts that are NOTHING like the ones off the 2007 Kwak Z1000 or the Z750 (i know they are the same, and the thou has 2 of the buggers!)
5. I dont want futuristic angled bodywork like the 2006 Yam FZ1, but i also dont want to see it look like an MV Agusta ripoff (come on everyone! the Brutale had the stacked cans and single sider before the SR's!)

Kiwi
18-05-2007, 05:56 AM
I like it and think it looks the dogs b*ll*x

unfortunately like most prototypes it will get watered down

gary tompkins
18-05-2007, 07:09 AM
I think Ducati would need to be very careful when re-designing the monster. It's the bike that saved them from shutting up shop in 1993, and still accounts for pretty much half the sales today. They could easily shoot themselves in the foot like the 998 - 999 revamp and loose a lot of customers.

I don't like the pipes, tank shape , headlight, naff handguards....

but then it's only a sad photoshop cut & paste by a hack, and unlikley to reflect anything that the factory finally produces. As you say MCN must struggle for "real" front page stories if this is the best they can can manage.

MCN exclusive.... yeah right :rolleyes:

desmo
18-05-2007, 04:21 PM
The story is now on the MCN website.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/May/may15-20/may1807ducatisettolaunchnewmonster/?&R=EPI-91325

Desmo.

Shandy
20-05-2007, 11:32 AM
The story is now on the MCN website.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/May/may15-20/may1807ducatisettolaunchnewmonster/?&R=EPI-91325

Desmo.

First time i've had a look. Lets face it some ones just photo shopped the Hypermotard and stuck a monster top on it!!!!