PDA

View Full Version : My monster wont start!!!

jonno464
15-05-2007, 08:43 PM
:cry: I Have a 2002 M600 monster, the problem I have that she wont start, in the past I had a few problems that it would start but had to press the starter button a few times they only start. Now nothing at all, I have tested the starter motor and seems fine and I have also checked all the wireing at the front of the bike as well as the starter switch and seems fine?

Please help with some advise if you can!! I really want to get back out on her:banghead:

Shandy
15-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Take the seat off and listen if the relay is clicking when you turn the key on and off, its a common problem that's cheap and easy to fix.

Zimbo
15-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Shandy's right, the relay under the seat is prone to failure which causes the whole thing to die. Chances are that's the problem.

jonno464
15-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your help, I have tried and yes if I turn the key it clicks but not if I press the starter. Do I need to change the starter relay?
Thanks

banditloon
15-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Just aquired this bit of knowledge from www.ducati-john.co.uk

"Electrical Relays

All Ducatis have relays somewhere in their electrical system, mostly they're reliable too. However the yellow topped ones under the seat of early Monsters can cause a problem with not switching main power on. More of a problem it seems are the smaller black ones fitted to later Monsters. These are used to switch on main power and ECU power. They're situated near the battery, maybe 2 or 3 of them depending on the bike. They are possibly too puny for their job. If your Monster has these consider carrying a spare or 2, er or 3!!.. Part no is 54140031A"

jonno464
15-05-2007, 09:08 PM
thanks, might be a stupid question, but i am new to electrics, are the starter relays the small black boxes (x2) under the seat near the battery?
Thanks

banditloon
15-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Haven't got my Haynes book of lies here to tell me :( I'm sure someone will know the answer though.

Shandy
15-05-2007, 09:15 PM
thanks, might be a stupid question, but i am new to electrics, are the starter relays the small black boxes (x2) under the seat near the battery?
Thanks

The relays are under the seat near the back of the bike next to the fuse boxes, i think the two small black boxes by the battery your on about are the ignition control unit do da's.

Sounds like you need a Haynes manual there mate for some bed time reading :D

Buzz
16-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Could be your side stand switch relay if you have one. Check the manual. Mine failed (intermittently) so I bypassed it.

JamesM750
16-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Hi, I has a similar problem with my small black relay (called 'Rele Sicurezza' in the wiring diagram). The inputs to it come from the side stand switch and the kill switch. To test it out, stick the ignition on and operate the side stand, you should hear it click as you move the stand.

I ended up removing the relay and bridging the relevant connectors to bypass the realy altogether just to see it it realy was the relay playing up.

carr01
16-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Just had similar on my 01 S4. The low voltage side of the ignition, between the H.T leads near to the underside of the tank on the right side, theres a small white connector and if it comes loose you will have nothing when the starter is pressed. try it first .

BoozyBOB
17-05-2007, 12:41 AM
i started a similar question here... if it is the orig battery it is probably fooked..
i had lights and a click when pressing the starter... and sod all else.. got new battery and all is well.. :freak:

squiffything
17-05-2007, 06:27 AM
i started a similar question here... if it is the orig battery it is probably fooked..
i had lights and a click when pressing the starter... and sod all else.. got new battery and all is well.. :freak:

I had a similar problem battery turned on the lights and lit up the consul but not enough power to start charged it up to full but because it was on its way would lose the power after a couple of days as it wouldn't retain a charge. Put in a new battery and has been good ever since.