PDA

View Full Version : Total RipOff

Kato
14-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I tend to buy a lot of computer stuff because at heart I'm a bit of a geek, for a few years I've been doing this via a mate of mine who lives in the states simply because it’s cheaper......a lot cheaper....so today while scanning through the spareshack catalogue for a few bits that I have taken a shine to, thought I'd see what could be had via this same route….BL&%$Y Hell what a surprise including shipping from the US I find my little pile of goodies is a shade under £300 cheaper anyone else think this is just criminal, after this I looked at cheap flights and found I could get a return to the US for £135, so even if I went and collected everything myself I still save £165 rip off bl**dy Britton what a crap place this really is……….phew feel much better after that little rant, and an email has been sent to my pal in Chula Vista:thumbsdown:

Meteor
14-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I've been tempted to buy stuff directly from the States - but was worried about being clobbered for import tax:shocked: . Have you found this a problem?

jerry
14-05-2007, 07:00 PM
I bought £2100 worth of Ducati stuff in the states in January for £840,

Kato
14-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Meteor, I get my pal to buy the stuff and he ships it to me nicely rapped in gift paper, not been nabbed by the tax man so far...

eonan
14-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Other than OEM Ducati parts, I can't tell you last time I bought something for my bikes from this country.

Even when they do hit you for the import tax, I've found it almost always to still work out cheaper. Even when it works out to be the same, you can almost always guarantee to have it quicker than ordering from companies here.

To be honest, with the customer service these guys (Motowheels, CA-Cycleworks, Desmoworks, Yoyodyne, Spiegler, CycleCat, Nichols, SpeedyMoto etc) provide, I'd still use them even if it did work out more.

slob
14-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I've been tempted to buy stuff directly from the States - but was worried about being clobbered for import tax:shocked: . Have you found this a problem?

... to make it worse the shipper charges a £10 administration fee for collecting the tax, brown shirt parcel guy gives you a choice of pay up or I keep your bling.

Nonnie
14-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I just bought my wedding dress from the States, got it £400 quid cheaper (Sheesh Nonnie how much DID you pay!) and paid £19.99 import duty!

T'is cheap alright.

Kato
14-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Not sure how my little Ol monnie would look in a wedding dress:eek: ....but for that price I might give it a go:mand:

scrumpster
14-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I just bought my wedding dress from the States, got it £400 quid cheaper (Sheesh Nonnie how much DID you pay!) and paid £19.99 import duty!

T'is cheap alright.

Will it get here in time mate???

Gilps
14-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I just bought 5 footpeg bungs for my rearsets from Woodcraft in the US as they are an unusual size. total cost £7.50 including p&p.

Nonnie
14-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Will it get here in time mate???

It's already here! Dresses are made for tall people though so it's having 4 inches shaved off it!

banditloon
14-05-2007, 08:53 PM
It's even better when you know someone who can find more loop holes in the system ;) :spin:

Zimbo
14-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I bought my FCR carbs in the states, they were sent air freight and arrived four days after I bought them, got clobbered for import duty, VAT AND a £20 admin fee by the postal service, and they were STILL over £100 cheaper than if I'd bought them here!

JMo
14-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I've bought stuff from Spareshack, from my local bike shop, my nearest (and farthest) dealers and I've also bought it online... sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not - being an impatient type, availablity tends to dictate where and when I buy stuff... and like buying anything in the 'global' market, no matter what deal you you think you've got, some sod will always have bought it cheaper somewhere else.

Sure like for like it's always nice to get a bargin, but remember that companies and traders here in the UK like Spareshack not only sponsor our website, but can help you out with advice and even stay open a bit later etc. to help you out...

If you don't support them, then don't cry when you're left high and dry at 5.25pm on a Saturday afternoon...

xxx

DesmoDom
15-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Totally Agree Jen, Yes you can get stuff cheaper overseas (and me being a really tight git welcomes saving money) but, there are deals to be had here if you're willing to be pushy. Stuart has given me some crackin deals over the years I've been with the club and saved my bacon a number of times, when I've needed some items quickly, (yes there are times when things have taken a while to arrive, but that's rare) overall though, service has been excellent and I don't know many dealers who are willing to spend time helping you to sort a problem out with your bike. I, like Jen, am also an impatient person when buying things, but you'll be amazed how the price can come down if you ASK for some discount, then you start to haggle.

Baz

eonan
15-05-2007, 07:06 AM
I've bought stuff from Spareshack, from my local bike shop, my nearest (and farthest) dealers and I've also bought it online... sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not - being an impatient type, availablity tends to dictate where and when I buy stuff... and like buying anything in the 'global' market, no matter what deal you you think you've got, some sod will always have bought it cheaper somewhere else.

Sure like for like it's always nice to get a bargin, but remember that companies and traders here in the UK like Spareshack not only sponsor our website, but can help you out with advice and even stay open a bit later etc. to help you out...

If you don't support them, then don't cry when you're left high and dry at 5.25pm on a Saturday afternoon...

xxx

Yeh that's a really good point, and to be fair I have used Stuart as and when I can. For me its never really about the money, being an impatient type also, the decision is made based on how quickly I can get the item. In almost all cases it turns out to be quicker ordering from the US.

spares geezer
17-05-2007, 09:22 PM
It's a fair point that's been raised and when you're buying for one bike you can generally get away with import tax/vat etc but for the record when I order I generally have to shall out a few grand and the shipment is sent via UPS or similar which in itself isn't cheap then I have to pay customs clearance, import duty and vat and that's before I've seen any of the parts.

I do try and keep the prices as reasonable as possible but at the end of the day I do have to cover my costs, things like an 80 page catalogues don't come cheap and that cost me well over £15k to produce and send out all at no charge to most people.

Still it's a free world and people can buy where ever they see fit but many of the parts in the catalogue are there because as a monster enthusiast they appeal to me and anyone in the club who orders and mentions the club gets a discount.

Thanks for the kind words of support anyway.

Stuart