PDA

View Full Version : Would you miss the seasons?

bigredduke
14-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I was talking to a friend a little while ago about the weather (unsurprisingly).
He told me his son worked in Florida. I asked if he missed distinctive seasons like wot we get in the UK. He replied 'you must be kidding!'

Personally, I can't wait to get to southern France en vacance each year, I honestly don't think I would get bored of hot, sunny weather. I love it!
I absolutely loath the dark, cold and damp, not just from a biking point of view but life in general. To be able to plan a barbeque or a rideout for example with some certainty and in advance would be brilliant. April this year was soooooooo good!

I think I suffer from that seasonal adjustment disorder thingy!

Anyone else feel the same?

giler
14-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Certainly do! As soon as the wife finished her degree, we hope to join the poms down under. I think the feeling gets worse as you get older - need a bit of warmth on the bones!

Pegleg Pete
14-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Last year I finished a 3 month stint working in the 42 degree South African sun in March, and went straight to working 18 hour days for 7months straight on 50/50 in the southern Med (heatwaves) without a single day off (you might think Im exaggerating, but I swear guv...). Because of my job we end up chasing the sun around the world which is obviously quite enjoyable but being so busy in such perpetual temperatures, salt, sunburn, sunstroke etc It can really get quite trying without any change in season! I get home in autumn/winter and I actively seek out a dripping tree on a soaking wet day, preferably in a green field somewhere and stand there with my eyes closed just enjoying the feeling of the rain on my face after nearly a year without it. I think there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Winge Winge, moan moan, I know. Its better than a kick in the head. But I love our seasons..The colours in Autumn, crisp winter mornings, the shift from Winter to Spring...I need to feel the changes around me, its good for my soul.

Shandy
14-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Certainly do! As soon as the wife finished her degree, we hope to join the poms down under. I think the feeling gets worse as you get older - need a bit of warmth on the bones!

Great someone's house to crash at for a cheap holiday :chuckle: :chuckle:

Paivi
14-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Distinctive seasons? What the heck are you talking about? There's no distinction here, not like you get in Scandinavia. Here is seems to be the same climate, with small temperature changes between seasons, sometimes you get the near-winter temperatures in the couple of weeks you Brits call summer.

I miss the Finnish seasons: going from 30C+ in the summer to minus 30C (and colder) in the winter.

gremlin
14-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I must admit cold damp weather really hurts my rather bashed body, but you can't beat the colours of autumn, and really good frosty morning when everything is white, a bit of sun on the whiteness and it's a joy to behold everything twinkles like diamonds and then you realise you're sliding slowly to that f*** off ditch. I am rather a sun lover and love nothing better than gettin my kit off and soaking up the rays. I'd love to live somewhere warm but I'd have to get my fix of autumn, maybe somewhere like New England for the colours but no doubt it would be bloody cold in the winter! At least here you can get four seasons in a week which probably why we get so many colds. Last month bikini, this month thermals!:biggrin:

banditloon
14-05-2007, 09:24 PM
In the past 14 years of riding motorcycles, I can't actually remember having a decent May / June on the weather scale and enjoying them to the full, stuck on a saddle and in leathers.

After being a courier, the weather doesn't bother me. If it's raining or cold before I go out, I stay in and keep dry / warm. If it's sunny, I'm gone! :D

I must admit in a sensible moment of photography, to get out on Epsom Downs and taking pictures of the race horses training on the all weather gallops in early spring / late autumn is impressive. The steam and sweat coming off the charging horses, the frost on the ground the colours of the trees and ground :thumbsup: Makes (and sells) good pictures ;) Motocross in the crisp blue skies of early winter are great too, and I only have to work half day in the winter :chuckle:

I could disappear off to Gibraltar next week, due to my proper job. Just spend 4 months working out there, then come back for spring and summer in good old blighty. Nah... Love it here to much :D

gremlin
14-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I used to train a race horse on one of the local beaches during winter, it was so cold, I'd have tears running down my face, my hands would be numb, my legs would be blue. On the upside the smell of sea and horse and the seagulls crying as you gallop along is something to experience. Not so much fun was being scared sh1tless over the steeplechase fences at Newmarket.
We've been to Epsom a few times when working in the area, and the downs are wonderful, I've never seen the horses exercising there but I have at Newmarket and they are majestic with steam coming off them.

squiffything
15-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Hah don't you believe it. The only good thing about Newmarket Racehorses is when the fall over and then get shipped of to the drive in burger bar. MMMMMM burgers.......

You don't have to put up with them everyday holding up the traffic pooing all over the pavement kicking the parked cars as they walk along roads bah bloody horses....

STIVH
15-05-2007, 09:45 AM
From Global Warming to Horse ****..............only on UK Monster.co.uk

I may not post a lot but I do love reading it !!!

gremlin
15-05-2007, 10:20 AM
At least the Horses*** does your roses good! If all this global warming thing is true and the oil stocks are running out, we may all be reduced to one horsepower transport!

mad_turnips
15-05-2007, 11:01 AM
firmly think horses should stay off the road and the **** is proper slippy ( not as bad as cow though) and when your out for a sunday run with the lads and suddenly your faced with an arse @ head height with some 12yo giving you dirty looks coz she cant handle the animal shes on and it doesnt like the combined engine noise of 6 x 600-1100 bikes at which point your in the path of some van coz youve had to go round the bloody thing coz it wont be the one to go on the grass ( where it belongs)

gonna go and lie down in a darkened room:dizzy:

Mand
15-05-2007, 12:36 PM
In the past 14 years of riding motorcycles, I can't actually remember having a decent May / June on the weather scale and enjoying them to the full, stuck on a saddle and in leathers.

You're having a laugh aren't you? Last year it was gorgeous for May, June and July and only when it hit August the 1st the heavens opened. I remember these things...... :D

gremlin
15-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Got most of my tan in May, then I was in jumpers for weeks! It is a bit weird having two "summers", one in spring and one late August through to early October. Still at least my chilli plants can stay outside longer, and I get two lots of raspbarries and last year had stawberries up till October too.
Global warming's okay except half of Norfolk will disappear back to the sea, some of it won't be missed though. Unfortunately the powers that be will allow beautiful beaches like Holkham disappear to save the likes of Yarmouth. Probably mainly because Yarmouth is like a mini Blackpool and generates cash, whereas Holkham is just a beautiful beach with no arcades etc. They're all bogwoppits in power!

Mand
15-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Well I remember sweating to death at the UKMOC track day last June and enjoying the gorgeous weather in July for the motogp.

gremlin
15-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I was in shorts for Snetterton last year, and came home and made salad from stuff out of the garden, strangely after all the sun this year I'd be hard pushed to do it after this years Snets! It's so cold and windy when there's no sun there, I'm just hoping the weather picks up before next weekend, or I'll be hunting for the longjohns!

Fodder
16-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Nope
Winter over here is like the English summer, a bit unpredictable but mostly sunny and warm, the summer can get too hot, last year we peaked at 49 C with a nightime low of 35 C. Too hot to ride a bike or even sleep without AC. Thank goodness for cold beer and the swimming pool.
I do miss those glorious English summer evenings, but not that much.