PDA

View Full Version : Doe's this S2R hugger look right?

damon
13-05-2007, 01:20 PM
What do people think? doe's this look like the holes and fixings are in the right place? The guy offering it me unfortunately cant supply me with any pic's or instructions on fit and just wondered what you guys who already have them reckon..... oh and its from the states so obviously needs to be right before i consider buying

cheers

yellowfever
13-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah it's right - doesn't need fasteners as uses the existing bolts that fix the rear brake lines to the swing arm. These huggers are around £150 new from Ducati dealers in UK. BUT I used to have one of these and they look bling, but are basically rubbish at keeping crud off the shock as they leave a big gap for road crud to fling off the tyre and onto the shock. So if you want a hugger that acutally does the job I suggest the carbon fibre one that carbonworld.de do which is a bit cheaper (but not much) and good quality. See http://cgi.ebay.de/Ducati-Monster-Carbon-rear-hugger-S4R-S2R-Set_W0QQitemZ130109402048QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10448Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I got Ducati's own version first as had just got the bike and was going on a 2500 mile tour of scandanavia. Ended up selling the hugger on e-bay when I got back and getting a carbonworld one as the amount of crud that collects in the handy trap at the bottom of the shock is pretty alarming - had enough gravel etc in there to tarmac the drive (if I had one...)

Anyway your choice - form or function! Hope that helps.

damon
13-05-2007, 02:46 PM
so are they crap at keeping 'crap' out of the shock because they are short or something?

farl
13-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Not cos they're short, the DP one doesn't have a front part to it. THe carbon world one comes in 2 parts. One bit goes over the rear tyre (like the DP one) but there is an extra bit to cover the front of the tyre, it hangs down in front of the tyre. I had one on my S4R but have the DP one on this bike. Can't say I've noticed much difference but then I ride my scooter in the wet.

damon
13-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Not cos they're short, the DP one doesn't have a front part to it. THe carbon world one comes in 2 parts. One bit goes over the rear tyre (like the DP one) but there is an extra bit to cover the front of the tyre, it hangs down in front of the tyre. I had one on my S4R but have the DP one on this bike. Can't say I've noticed much difference but then I ride my scooter in the wet.

well i dont ride my bike in the wet at all so am i going to gain much from having the carbonworld one?

the one im showing i can get for about £70

£60 cheaper than the carbonworld but thats not a problem if ill gain something?

what dya think?

ps - anychance of a pic of this hugger fitted?

yellowfever
13-05-2007, 03:24 PM
The link I put in shows the carbonworld one fitted with the rear wheel out so you can see the extra coverage it gives you (tho' you don't have to take wheel out to fit - it's as easy to fit as the DP one) - the bit between the upper and lower spar on the swing arm is not covered by the DP version. It's fair to say that both versions are pretty short in terms of how far back they go (only difference is in lower coverage) - so not exactly perfect from practical point of view, tho' better than nothing and obviously look good....

If you can get the DP one for £70 then you could always get it and see what you think - you should be able to get your money back selling it on e-bay to buy the other if it's not what you want.

neilbaldry
13-05-2007, 03:58 PM
i have that hugger, damon. its ok, but the shock does get a tad dirty. i wouldnt worry tho, my shock isnt 'muddy, kacked up' dirty, just dusty looking. and if you keep on top of cleaning the bike, i dont see it as a problem. i cant get a pic to you right now, as my bike is a few miles away at the mo. but if you'd like, and can wait till wednesday, then i could take your mobli number, and text you some images of it then?

damon
13-05-2007, 04:05 PM
i have that hugger, damon. its ok, but the shock does get a tad dirty. i wouldnt worry tho, my shock isnt 'muddy, kacked up' dirty, just dusty looking. and if you keep on top of cleaning the bike, i dont see it as a problem. i cant get a pic to you right now, as my bike is a few miles away at the mo. but if you'd like, and can wait till wednesday, then i could take your mobli number, and text you some images of it then?

that sounds good mate,

pm sent

neilbaldry
23-05-2007, 09:23 AM
sorry about the delay Damon, ive got a new phone, and im still working out how to use the thing. will try and get it sorted tonight for you!