PDA

View Full Version : having to grow up :(

mad_turnips
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
hi

im leaveing uni in a couple of mounths :( after being here for 6 years ( did a degree than a masters) iv just bought a house ( with alot of help ) and now have to start this whole getting a job and such but the main thing am lost with is a creadit card been told to get one to get a "creadit rating" or some such thing but there are ****ing loads and they all sound pretty much the same anyone got an opinoin or even better one with a monster on it which would make the choise for me :)

i dont want to grow up

Plum
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Matt

Speak to your bank. As you are a customer, they will have time to chat to you about it. I didnt want a credit card either, but when i got married, i did it in Maui and being in Hawaii it is an amercian state, and as you know you cannot function in America without a credit card. I went to see my bank and they were really helpful.

I think Natwest are scrapping their airmiles system on their cards, and if so, how long before other cards follow suit

Good luck and remember

Growing old is compulsory. Growing up is optional!!

bigredduke
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
hi

im leaveing uni in a couple of mounths :( after being here for 6 years ( did a degree than a masters) iv just bought a house ( with alot of help ) and now have to start this whole getting a job and such but the main thing am lost with is a creadit card been told to get one to get a "creadit rating" or some such thing but there are ****ing loads and they all sound pretty much the same anyone got an opinoin or even better one with a monster on it which would make the choise for me :)

i dont want to grow up

Depends on how good you are at paying off your debts. If you pay them off each month, then go for one with cashback rewards or airmiles eg Egg. If not there are a lot of 0% cards for 9 months or so currently available.
Have a look at www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk or www.moneysupermarket.co.uk for current offers.
welcome to the real world inhabited by the debt-laden!

Dave G
11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I'll grow up once all my kids leave home:cool:

Thing to remember with credit cards is if you pay off more than the minimum but less than the total the banks see you as a good customer.
They keep increasing my credit limit and I have a good credit rating.
....that is until I go out and buy that desmosedici on visa!:chuckle: :idea: :cool:

Plum
11-05-2007, 03:09 PM
....that is until I go out and buy that desmosedici on visa!:chuckle: :idea: :cool:

Sounds dangerous!

Dave G
11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Sounds dangerous!

The most dangerous thing is the fact I can that amount of credit!!:shocked:

queen_gpants
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Who told you you need to have a credit card to get a credit rating?

Your credit rating is based on all sorts of things, being on the electoral list, if you have a mortgage and bank account thats all you need.

Dont get a credit unless you absolutely need one, like others have said IF you can pay off your bill at the end of each and are good with your money then fine but if not steer well clear!

I dont have a credit card, I dont need one and I dont want one and I have managed perfectly well for the last 20 years without one!

mad_turnips
11-05-2007, 04:23 PM
kk cheers

i dont have a morgage and im not on an election role ( because im not from uk i dont feel i should get involved) so will just having a bank account sort me out also im starting a job in july and will need to overhaul the monnie before comuting and cand do that till i get paid from the job i wont have started im v good at paying off debt ive paid off all but this years student debt by working every break iv had so to to phased by the payback thing but i will check the websites :thumbsup:

banditloon
11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Just taking me the past 8 years to clear up my credit card / loans from this purpose! Damn growing up is a pain.

First thing I did when I left my flat (and ex), cut up the credit cards and just sat down and worked out a plan to get clear of debt.

Our warehouse man is having a similar problem at the moment. He has a large sum of money in a savings account ready to use as a deposit for a flat / house somewhere. He can't get a mortgage because the bank says he needs to get his credit rating up, and he has applied for credit cards and been turned down :confused:

As queen_gpants states, your credit rating is based on more things than a credit card. Your bank account activity, if/how many times you go overdrawn, payment of bills via direct debits, how long you have been in your job, where your wages are paid into, if you have a contract mobile phone, even down to the previous occupier of your home (had problems with that before!!).

It's just strange how we have to get into debt to get more debt. What a wonderful world we live in :thumbsup:

gremlin
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
I've not got a card and don't want one and I don't see why you should be forced into having one. It's far easier to stay out of debt, I feel really smug when people moan about the size of their credit card bill. Unfortunately if you budget and only buy what you can afford when you can afford it you get slated which is sooo wrong. Surely it is more prudent to stay out of debt. Try Nationwide they were brilliant when my ex wiped out my old bank account, nobody would give me an account because he'd defaulted on so much stuff, including the bank I was with at the time. But Nationwide did and I got a Visa card, but I don't think it's a proper credit card, it buys my bits for my baby okay which is all I need!

Nim
12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
well, my professional opinion is just to not grow up. Or pretend you're grown up from the outside, and then stop at traffic lights in rush hour in central london and scream 'POUR SOME SUGAR ON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' to your neighbour. It works a treat if you tap the beat on your tank at the same time whilst doing a little jig on yer bike. What's this thread about again??

Pegleg Pete
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
well, my professional opinion is just to not grow up. Or pretend you're grown up from the outside, and then stop at traffic lights in rush hour in central london and scream 'POUR SOME SUGAR ON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' to your neighbour. It works a treat if you tap the beat on your tank at the same time whilst doing a little jig on yer bike. What's this thread about again??

Ah the old catch 'em by suprise technique. You appear alongside, mundanely enough, but as you turn towards your neighbour, flip your visor, stare them in the eye and begin that lewd suggestive thrusting nodding action with your head in time to your own beat, the look of horror that creeps across their face as you explode into their comfort zone and their eyes snap forwards, praying that the lights change quickly. A job well done, knowing that you are responsible for that feeling of embarassed dread only achieved by violinists in a restaurant. Do you look at them? Do you look at each other? Is everyone in the restaurant watching our reaction? Oh god oh god oh god make him go away...