PDA

View Full Version : Fitting belts - a plea for help.

ceedub
10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello again!! :D

Have booked my bike into Snells on the 18th for it's MOT, but need to do some bits and pieces beforehand. Further to previous posts about it being 600 odd miles away and me being new to Hampshire it's finally here :thumbsup: , but has been stored for some time. :thumbsdown: Need to replace battery (no problem), change oil and filter (think I can cope) and change the belts (cue scary music)....... :on:

Now, i've read everything on here about belt changing, watched the videos and generally heard everybody exclaiming how easy it all is, but - well.... i'm not convinced!! I have very little mechanical know how, infact I don't even own a spanner :gay: - but I do want to learn. No point owning a bike unless you're prepared to tinker with it yourself afterall.

So here's my big ask of the year....

Is there anybody handy with a spanner and localish to Alton who could come and show me the ropes?

I'm quite happy to pay in beer & food, even real money. It's not that I want to do it on the cheap, more that I want to see first hand how it's done for future reference. I don't see Snells letting me into the workshop really to watch afterall!!

Let me know if any of you can help,

Dub

Pegleg Pete
10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't see Snells letting me into the workshop really to watch afterall!!

No harm in asking - I tend to hang around and watch them do stuff when the station cafe is closed or I just want to watch. They cant stop you and, agreed, it must be a bit annoying with somone over your shoulder but most of the guys there are really friendly and I'm sure if you explain you are simply interested in how your pride and joy works they would be more than happy to show you.

p.s. I have a spanner and I live near to Alton. Plus, I work on a boat so I could show you how to tie some knots in ropes, if thats any good :D I could come over one day and give you a hand if you feel like both of us learning together because i havent done the belts on mine yet either. I reckon between us and with my official engineering and home grown 'pull it apart and see how it goes back together' experience, we'll manage. its the best way to learn I reckon. If someone does offer to help who knows what they are doing we should have an Altonians belt changing masterclass

Now your bike is finally here we can go for a ride and then a beer.

tommo
10-05-2007, 07:24 PM
i might be about sunday, if thats any help pm me;)

ceedub
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
The Peglegged one: have PMd Tommo ref the belts situation, so hopefully will know if the masterclass idea is a goer shortly.

Knots tutorial - most definately, letting you pull my bike apart - no thanks :D

On the ride and a beer score - i've no MOT & tax etc at the mo', but hopefully that'll all be remedied fairly shortly.

ceedub
11-05-2007, 04:25 PM
You have a PM Pete (being dying to say that to someone for ages:chuckle: )

Pegleg Pete
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Message received and understood old bean. Now we can watch someone else pull your bike apart and I dont get blamed if it all goes the way of the pear. Most agreeable. Plus, it appears that you have been afforded a spell of inclement weather in which to get your bike and documents in order. Sucks for the rest of us who are allowed to play though.

ceedub
13-05-2007, 12:23 PM
tommo: My thanks for the masterclass & good meeting you :D . Won't be long now....
pegleg pete: you are indeed useless :twak: (but it was a sunday morning granted), hopefully be sorted for the 23rd at Alton station.

Dub