PDA

View Full Version : Alarms

ceedub
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

Looking for advice on the best alarm for my 2001 Monster Dark now it's finally in the same country as me!

What do you all have fitted, where from and why is it better or worse than it's competitor?

Currently it's got a dirty great English Chain Co. chain round it (and a tree) - but we all know how much use that really is.... I don't have a garage, can't put in a ground anchor as it's rented accomodation (& i'm not allowed grrr!!), so I want to go the extra mile with the alarm.

I am of course aware that it they really want it, they'll have it.....

Ta muchly,

Dub

Dukescrotum
09-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I have a Datatool system 3 alarm/immob. The s4rs comes with an immob as standard but this is the only type of alarm that the insurance co would accept. I find all alarms a pain in the a** but it is specific to Ducatis and doesn't give false alarms, except when I forget to turn it off! Oh and they are not cheap, I would check what level of system you are required to have. A couple of years ago I only needed an immob on my R1, which a mate still has and has been faultless. Hope that helps.:twak:

Redkite2
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I have a Spyball alarm, fitted when I bought the bike (S2R1000) about 11 months ago. I have never had any problems with it and as it's my first alarm I have nothing to compare it with. At time of buying the Spyball was the only alarm recognised by insurance companies in NL. Not sure if this is still the case.
As far as I'm concerned, it does the job.

Shandy
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I had a Datatool system 3 on the 916, i thought it was a good alarm apart from a few problems i had with the tamper switch under the seat, but that was easily adjusted and sorted out. Hey it can't be that bad it still worked after stuffing the bike in a ditch!!!!

Scotty
09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
personalyl id not bother with an alarm just a pain in the arse for you and everyone ignores them anyway
" uh another alarm going off" sort of thought

id just get a ground anchor in anyway i never even thought to ask landlord about installing one, or erecting a shed

Scotty
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
oooor bring bike into house (stairs can be tricky)
having said ground anchor, if the tree is substantial thats proberly better than a ground anchor

Diego
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Have you given thought to a tracker system?

Read this.

http://londonbikers.com/articles/d6feff62-3a73-4a24-8b74-86261b702cd6

bod
09-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Alarm No, bought one for mine new (datatool evo) and never fitted it,couldn't be arsed.......as do most people who lay in bed at silly time in the morning and here an alarm going off!
When you wake (if you do) can you determine your alarm from the countless household alarms that go off in the night????

I would spend most my time in pyjamas near the garage door.

Bl;oody big bolt/chain/anchor is best for me!

Stuart42
10-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Again personally wouldn't bother after getting stuck in France after alarm decided it didn't want to play. Luckily with a trusty pen knife and Blue Peter know how managed to by pass the alarm, after wasting a day of our holiday.

Got home alarm now resides on shelf in garage as reminder never to fit one.

Cheers
Stuart

sparkymark
10-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Good advice above - Datatool 3 and more recent are OK, but older ones are crap.

Certain garage forecourt systems can 'jam' the older versions' immobiliser, so u end up pushing your screaming bike away until it's out of range... nice...

Shandy
10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Just to add a bit, the chain your currently using round a tree is IMO one of the best put off's for thief's (as long as the trees a big en) as it can't be easily picked up and taken away. Even if you do get an alarm i'd keep using the chain too.

slob
10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
When you wake (if you do) can you determine your alarm from the countless household alarms that go off in the night????

I'm planning to use the angry owner walking up behind him approach
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=22347

queen_gpants
10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I've got a Datatool alarm for sale if anyone is interested, for fuel injected bikes only?

It's an Evo 3 I think (I need to find it, as its boxed up and in the garage) was gonna stick it on fleabay this weekend actually.

It was fitted to my 888 and got taken off in 2005 when I broke the bike for parts, my friend stripped off the alarm as he wanted the loom.

Obviously it wont be covered by any manufacturers warranty or guarantees but I do have all the proper paperwork, spare fobs and all the bits and bobs.

ceedub
10-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks very much all.

I hear what some of you are saying ref. the lack of attention payed to screaming alarms these days, but still think it might be worthwhile for me. It's really quiet where I live (closest house is 1/4 mile away), and at night the bike is literally 10 ft from my bed - allbeit through a wall!! The likelihood of confusing my alarm with someone elses is too slim for that to be an excuse not to have one fitted. I also plan to start riding to work, so again the bike should always be close enough to check if it's my alarm going off.

So the chain stays (round the tree) for a visual deterent, the alarm wakes me up if anyone's poking about & i'm in bed, the only eventuality not covered is being away in the evening etc.....

Datatool Snitcher then???

Let us all know how fitment etc goes Slob am very interested to hear.

Thanks again all for your help, i'm off to Snells now to pick up new belts and oil filter before MOT next Friday - which leads me nicely to my next question.... http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=205610#post205610

Dub