PDA

View Full Version : 695 oil cooler

stirrup
07-05-2007, 08:23 AM
I've been going down the steep slippery slope of modding my 695 for a while now, so when I started thinking about getting an oil cooler I thought 'oh gawd, not something else...the missus is losing her sense of humour' Seemed to me the 695 sits between the 750 and 800 on power and torque on what looks like the same crankcases so I couldn't get my head round why they ran oil coolers and the 695 didn't, unless it was price maybe?

Anyway, got it done last week. Well worth it. Runs much cooler and the temp doesn't fluctuate anywhere near so much.

So, I'm sure many might say Ducati engineers know best leave it standard and I'll admit I think it looks the dogs danglies added, but I think mine at least runs a more stable and lower oil temp which makes me happy. Oh yes, and it seems to run quite a bit quieter too.:D :D

Paivi
07-05-2007, 08:37 AM
http://www.curevents.com/vb/images/smilies/worth.gif

...and indication of how much money we're talking about. ;)

CK & AK
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Many of the 620's doing DD racing (and some 583's) have had them retro fitted, as this helps with the high temps they suffer from when getting thrashed around the tracks.

Paivi, if getting a new one, it will cost you about £250 for a factory one (as a complete kit - like from a 800 from any ducati dealer) or you can go to ebay & pick one up for about £100.
Factor in the fitting - takes about an hours work. Not a pricey or time consuming job at all.
Wouldnt have thought it worth it for a road bike, unless you are constantly hitting the revs in the top 80% of the band all the time (otherwise why didnt the factory do it, and many of these bikes are in Italy where the temps are a lot higher) - this is not meant in a condescending way, but trying to be constructive :)

CK :)

stirrup
07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Paivi, been trying to upload a picture for you, not getting very far but as CK says it looks the same as an 800.

CK opinion is about what I'd expect (see my original post) and I wouldn't presume to know more than Ducati's engineers but you need to DYOT in life and this was mine. Just thought I'd share an honest opinion. (By the way, the highest temps I saw were in slow traffic, and the oil cooler has dropped these way down)

Rockhopper
07-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Don't forget that a low oil temperature isn't always a good thing.

Paivi
07-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Wouldnt have thought it worth it for a road bike, unless you are constantly hitting the revs in the top 80% of the band all the time (otherwise why didnt the factory do it, and many of these bikes are in Italy where the temps are a lot higher) - this is not meant in a condescending way, but trying to be constructive :)

CK :)
No condescendence (:D ) taken, Charlotte! I was wondering if my Monster might benefit from it, as sometimes if I get stuck in traffic, the temperature hits 130-140, which can't be good. But, as I don't use it for commuting, it's probably less of a big deal. Nor do I ever go anywhere near redlining it. As you know, it's my pootling bike! Not many Ducatisti can say that of their Italian steeds! :D

sadbiker
08-05-2007, 06:24 AM
We fitted one on CORS 620 a few years ago as when riding in FRANCE the temperatures were a little on the high side, after consulting with a mate who is a mechanical engineer plus a rally driver who did a lot of his own work on his engines, his suggestion was if the holes were there in the engine and a kit was avaliable to put it on then helping to keep the temperatures especially at the upper end down will help the engine long term. So bought the kit and fitted it. I don't believe this will cause any problems of under cooling and in 12000 miles we have never suffered any issues either way. I was told the engines can run to 160 with out issues but I suspect long term this is never a good idea.