PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil

Buzz
02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Easy to change, or do I need special tools (the manual mentions a threaded bar etc.)?

Buzz
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Bump :spin:

Is anybody there...?

CK & AK
03-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Depends on the forks - do you have fully adjustable?
Marzocchi or Showas?

If fully adjustable - and if you are stripping them right down you will need a special tool - the haynes book of lies shows you how to make a tool - and it actually works!!
If just changing oil, you might be able to pour it out - but you wont get everything out without stripping them.
Refill oil to correct level as recco'd in the book of lies (this bit is actually true in the book)

If you have a reasonable amount of mechanical knowledge & some half reasonable tools, you shouldnt have problems.

C, being dictated to by AK! :o

Gim
03-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I would have offered some advice but I know fork oil about the subject :chuckle:

Scotty
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
umm ive just swaped oil without stripping em id say it was a 3 handed job but have a go anyway if you fail (like what i did) can just refill with replacment oil

Buzz
04-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Non adjustables.

So: drop the wheel, loosen the top nuts, remove the forks, remove the top nuts, tip 'em upside down to empty the oil, then re-fill to the right level (then put it all back together)?

The bikes coming up to 12,000 miles so I think the oil's due a change. Nothing wrong with the seals etc. so I don't think they need a complete strip down (?)

CK & AK
04-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Non adjustables.

So: drop the wheel, loosen the top nuts, remove the forks, remove the top nuts, tip 'em upside down to empty the oil, then re-fill to the right level (then put it all back together)?

Yep:)

The bikes coming up to 12,000 miles so I think the oil's due a change. Nothing wrong with the seals etc. so I don't think they need a complete strip down (?)

Sounds ok to me

AK

Buzz
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Cool. I'll give it a go.

Nothing goes 'Boing' when you undo the top nuts then? :eyepopping:

Scotty
04-05-2007, 04:54 PM
loosen top nut whilst still clamped in fork

and no its not under a permanant load