PDA

View Full Version : first time

BoozyBOB
02-05-2007, 05:24 PM
was chatting with friends today and they were amused when i said i had been speaking with people on the internet and then drove 60 mile round trip to meet total strangers for a coffee...

this was my first ride to meet Phoenix,Bunny,Duncan with his son pillion,Zimbo..and another (sorry forgot your name).. at the Red Lion in Aylsbury had a great day out and was made as welcome as a long lost friend so thanks to you lot that introduced me to the club.. and i have now been friends with lots more monsterers for many years...

what was your first meeting with monsterers.. (i am sure you felt at home):thumbsup:

Zimbo
02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
That was a while ago!!! Happy days . . . . :)

Bunny
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I met Duncan in a pub in Bristol - 5 years ago !!!!

fatbloke
02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Grant (M750) and me (M600) our first meeting was
lets join a club
Which one ?
DSC ?
na dont fancy that
DOC ?
na not that either
bugger it lets start our own
seems to have worked and long my it last

CK & AK
02-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Early March (?3rd) in 2002 for the ride-in to the opening of Ducati London South. There were many there and it was a great feeling to be blatting along with about 30 others :D
Had only got the M750 the night before on the Friday, and by the Monday it had done 740 miles & Snells had to find room to get the first service done:eek:

Was my first experience of persons such as Marky, Didge, Harley, Grunt & fatbloke - all of whom I've seen in the last year, or even more recently (eh Harley & Didge)

JR
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I met up with Duncan at the Shell garage Stonehouse 4 years ago, for a ride out to a pub - I also did a run to the Red Lion at Aylesbury and met Boozy Bob around that time (was i the forgotten Monster or was that another day?). As Zimbo said - Happy days - a lot of water has gone under the bridge for me since then!

Headhunter
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
About a year and a half ago to go to Southwold for chips. First member I met was our London leader, Benson :hail:

Shandy
02-05-2007, 08:38 PM
A couple of years or so ago i met Nattyboy the local Delboy of Swindonsville!!!!

Guess what he even sold me something too, he's been emptying my wallet ever since for parts and bling stuff :D

scrumpster
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I think my first unplanned meeting was Bob and Pedro on Portsdown Hill, I believe I was with my ex who got me into bikes. This was followed by a rideout (my first ever) to where I can't remember and with whom, many. I remember meeting Nonnie at the mini mega meet 2 years ago and we hit it off and have been in touch ever since - rock on Team Crumble!! This must be the nicest, friendliest, coolest bunch on the internet :thumbsup:

SazzaG
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Ah, I remember it well!

It was May 2003, I'd had my license for 2 weeks, and Didge was having a BBQ. I phoned him for directions (hello, you don't know me, but can you tell me where your house is?), and there I met Didge (obviously), JMo, CK, Blufoot, Crust and BoozyBob. (Sorry if I've forgotten anyone!)

I still have fond memories of that day, eating massive burgers, and all of us sheltering from the rain under the tiny lean-to, along with the BBQ. Why we didn't just go in the house, I don't know!

And that was the beginning of many beautiful friendships....

My first ride out was Boozy's grand tour of Hampshire about a month later - can't remember who I met there, 'cos there was about 30 of us! 200 miles in one day, 6 weeks after getting my license - now that was a baptism of fire! I still think that if it weren't for the club, I wouldn't have my monster now.

Why Rog let me go out alone to meet a bunch of strangers I met on the internet, I'll never know! I still have trouble explaining the club to friends and colleagues even now, without us sounding like a bunch of weirdos!

Scotty
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
errm turned up for the national ride out at the weekender a few years ago

i think sharon was at the next weekender and i haven't dared go back since ;)

scrumpster
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
You cheeky wotnot, and as it happened I didn't go last year either and you still owe me a pint!!!

Pegleg Pete
02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
My first encounter with you lot was at Box Hill about...ooohhh...about 2 weeks ago :) We rode to Peacehaven. Then this weekend we rode to Bristol and Ive been to 2 wednesday nights at Rykas now. I still haven't met any Hampsters yet...Where are you all hiding then?

squiffything
03-05-2007, 06:37 AM
My first time of meeting any of you lot was to the open day at the Colchester bike place last summer (sorry terrible with names) I went along with NeilP and met up with Paranoid Dave and Benson. Then a few weeks later Dave sent me a message to ask if I wanted to head up to the Vtwin meet at some airfield in Lincolnshire so a rideout was had. I met up with the aforesaid and Nonnie and Rod and the lovely Puddinhead and have been a 'crumbly' ever since :)

The people in this club/forum/organisation or whatever you like to refer it as are amazing whereever you go to meet them you are always made to feel welcome and although they may be total strangers because you have been chatting on here it really is like meeting old friends for the first time.

Top job Fatbloke you did good all those years ago

Pedro
03-05-2007, 06:55 AM
First meet was the Boozy's Hampshire Tour about 4 years ago now and the first impression I got of the UKMOC was Didge.....

It's a wonder I stayed!!!

:chuckle:

singletrack
03-05-2007, 07:23 AM
I met Boozy, Pedro, Gwyndaff, Lord Vader and a few others one freezing February 2005 morning in the Little Chef in Four Marks.

My hubby thought I was mad going to meet a bunch of people I didn't know, and I am not sure he was happy when I got back and told him all the others who turned up were blokes :shocked:

I didn't go for a ride out, but when I left the car park at the same time as everyone else I remember thinking
- "....is my bike running? I can't hear the engine for all the noise."

That was the point I knew I had to get some Termis.

Gim
03-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Meeting Jmo and Saz....and others at box for Bobs hampshire tour in 03.. or was it 04....I sweat buckets ! I remember reading Didge's posts and had a vision of a blonde aussie surfer........
Rob

SazzaG
03-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Rob, it was 03 - I remember you saying that you'd only just got your monster then.

Looks like there were a few of us newbies on that tour (me, you, Pedro...), and despite meeting Didge, we're still here!

Mind you, we've lost a few along the way. The person I remember the most from that trip was Davie - I wonder what the mad, tourist bus driving scotsman is doing these days?

BoozyBOB
03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
i also remember my first trip to Box Hill... i got lost ...when i got there a complete stranger was running across the car park directing me where to park... nosey sod i thought when i got my helmet off she said Hi i'm CK what do you have in your coffee and a great friendship began:on:

banditloon
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
The Ace Cafe in December 06 for me :thumbsup:

Must get to more meets.... Must make sure the bike is working before I goto anymore meets :chuckle:

Mand
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
October 2003, met Julie and Ruth, Kev Bunney and Drucilla at the Vic. I was scared to death! Ate loads of chips, cake and drank plentiful coffee became firm friends and even went on holiday twice with Ruth. :D

Been to a few weekenders, rode in a helicopter on a rescue mission, done a few track days, had my photo decorated in hearts, ;) been on loads on rideouts and even took my bike on a ferry, met some of my biking heroes through the Ducati hospitality and won't be content until I meet Colin Edwards when he signs up for Ducati!

I am looking forward to a few more things planned for this year.

I think I like my Internet Friends, even the Southern Softy!

Mand

Nonnie
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I met Paranoid Dave off the internet. It was the worst day of my life!

My first meet was Easter Run to Boxhill 2004. I had to leave at 7am and met Moley at the services in Colchester, Albie at the Oakdene cafe and CK, Scrumpster and Singletrack and a few more at Box Hill.

It took til I got to Boxhill and met Singletrack for anyone to tell me I hadn't rubbed in my facial moisteriser that morning.

I've been on 2 weekenders where I got pissed and can't remember anything, a MAD weekender where I got pissed and can't remember anything, got a helicopter ride I didn't want, met loads of really close friends (Team Crumble) that I didn't much want either because they're twats and a broken wrist. All thanks to UKMOC!

dlloyduk
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Whitby 2005, met Scotty, Tiggerlilly and a few others, found it quite scary riding 50 miles to meet total strangers- Mam and Dad warned me about those kind of things! Trackday,and MAD also a lot of fun.

What happened to this years MAD weekend?

BoozyBOB
08-05-2007, 01:00 AM
is that the southern softy (IOW) ice-cream Mand..??

or maybee something else...!!

claicerrig
08-05-2007, 11:58 AM
The first ever TRACKDAY

Have made friends with some of the best people ever .:pedro: :julie: :bunny: ricky :tiger: :didge: and all the other who do not have a LOGO :rolleyes:

All HAIL to Terry(Fatbloke) and Grant for putting this online community together

J.P
08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
My first time was like many of the others have said here when I met a bunch of the Kenties at the Oakdene Cafe back in November 2006.
'What ? go to meet a bunch of complete stangers you've met on the web? They must be swingers.' was the general comment I got.

Well some of them might be, but I've also found limitless knowledge and the kindness of strangers has proven very good indeed.
Having only had my bike a month, and never had one before, the advice has really helped and made me settle into the bike more.

2007 will be my first year for the Weekender, but got myself booked on the UKMOC trackday too. Hoping to meet many more of you.

Paivi
08-05-2007, 10:01 PM
My first time with the UKMOC peeps was last summer's GEMS in Kent; first time with the DSC peeps was the Goodwood Italian brekkie and the first time with the Ducatisti bin-fanciers was some time last summer at the ACE but properly at last year's NEC.