PDA

View Full Version : Practice ride out

AndyG
02-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi
This year wife & I are going to the I.O.M for the first time. Although been a biker for many years my experience riding with a pillion is virtually zero. We are going for a practice run this Sunday (conditions been OK), leaving Cannock area around 9.30 and going to Matlock for breakfast, anybody wish to join us ?. This will be a very gentle careful trip as we both need to build up our confidence, me as a rider, wife as pillion.
What are Monsters like with pillions on ?

sadbiker
02-05-2007, 08:51 AM
It will slow the 620 down a little, but your not after speed anyway. I would get hold of a set of love handles to put round your waist as my missus complains that the grab rails are very low down and hurt her hands when she jumped on the back of mine. Only other thing to note is the front end on some bikes can feel a little lighter with extra weight on the back so that will feel odd to start with. Other than that hope you both enjoy the ride.

MilesB
02-05-2007, 10:06 AM
This year wife & I are going to the I.O.M for the first time. Although been a biker for many years my experience riding with a pillion is virtually zero...
What are Monsters like with pillions on ?
Having followed Slob to Arrow Mill last year, I can confirm that having a pillion on the back didn't restrict his forward progress in any obvious way!

Ok, my thoughts, reflecting the comments above:

Front end will be lighter.
Back brake will be more effective.
The grab handles are NOT for use by pillions, unless your passenger is an orangutan :on: .
Ride smoothly - try to accelerate gently and don't brake late - otherwise you'll loose you pillion, or get your helmets bashed together.

I suspect you'll be looking for an alternative (comfier) saddle pretty pronto.
Also, I'd suggest practicing with your luggage, as from my experience, if you are two up then luggage capacity is limited.

Miles

PS: See you on the island :thumbsup:

J.P
02-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Another thing my wife's told me is that the difference between the bike with an additional pillion backrest and not was huge, and made a big difference to her comfort and control on the bike. Bought mine from :

http://www.monstrack.com/backrest.html

Kato
02-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Be prepared for your passenger to slide forward under breaking and crush your tackle against the fuel tank............I speak from experience :eyepopping: apart from that should be fun:spin:

Diego
02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Make your ride smoother by gentler stops, starts. Just take your time. Smoother clutch control does the trick.

Other than that it's fine...

barbican
02-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Another thing my wife's told me is that the difference between the bike with an additional pillion backrest and not was huge, and made a big difference to her comfort and control on the bike. Bought mine from :

http://www.monstrack.com/backrest.html

Hi

Did you get the pad with it or just the frame, and how was the fit?

gremlin
02-05-2007, 01:17 PM
No wheelies and gentle breaking, if you don't want a) a good thumping and b) crushed bits. Slow acceleration is good if you don't want to lose your wife, I'm forever getting shunted back and forth with tother halfs manic launches, see pillion thread!