PDA

View Full Version : Monster S4 steering damper advice

Essfour
30-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Hello all...

With my 2003 Monster S4 wanting to flap its bars at any opportunity, I'd really like to fit a steering damper. I've never wanted one on any bike before in the last 11 years, except a previous Monster that spat me across the road – I'm not a particularly mental rider, but this bike is really important to me, and the last thing I want to do is chuck it down the road.

I noticed on the forum that the Arrow damper limits the steering lock, and I definitely don't want this to happen. Can anyone please give me some advice on the best damper for my bike, that won't limit the turning circle (even though I've wound the lock stops in as far as possible, to get the tightest steering)?

I'm sure I remember a kit that would mount it UNDER the headstock, but I can't find it anywhere. As the S4 has the bar risers and clip-ons, rather than traditional bars, I guess I'm a bit resetricted. I don't mind a side-mount, as long as it won't poke me in the knee.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers all,

John

DesmoDom
30-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Ohlins do a side mounted damper (and it don't poke you in the leg) or an S4 DP top yoke mounted one (although I'm not sure if you can still get that type).
I fitted an S4R bar conversion kit on mine then fitted an S4R DP steering damper (across the top yoke type.

Try contacting NattyBoy on here, if he can't help you I'm sure he knows someone who can :D :D :D

Baz

Scotty
30-04-2007, 07:15 PM
if i was going to pick fault with the across the bars dampers , you can easily knock the point of the tank when you lift the tank ( i find this insanely annoying for some reason) you just have to point he bars in the right direction to avoide this though

Zimbo
30-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I use a side mount damper on my M900, doesn't get in the way at all. I think it came from Spareshack.

DesmoDom
30-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I think either type is fine, the only reason I the S4R type, is that I liked the one I had on my 996, but as long as it does the job, it's then just down to the look.

Yes Scotty, I agree, it is a bit annoying, I thought I would have to take the damper off each time I wanted to lift the tank, until I notice that it lifted without touching, if you turned the bars :dunce: :D :D :D

Baz

Essfour
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks all.

I've just had the bike repainted, so there's no way I'll risk marking the paint on the tank. I could also do without the expense of converting the headstock, so a side mount sounds the way to go.

I heard that the Arrow damper restricts the steering lock of the bike – anybody got any more experience of that? Otherwise, what's anybody used? Extreme Tech? Sprint? Matris? Öhlins?

Thanks again for your help,

John