PDA

View Full Version : Baffles in and out

Mostro69
30-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi all

When I bought my 695 with Termis, 2 months ago, the dealer removed the baffles for me (on my request). I put them back in this morning (just to hear what a tame Monster sounds like) but judging by the snug fit, looks like it'll be a job getting them out again tonight.

Any tips/tricks? Or simply a case of unscrewing the bolts and yanking the baffles out with pliers gripping the centre pin? Don't want to screw them up - shelled out enough for them already.

O.

Dukescrotum
05-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Just had exactly that same problem with my S4RS and its new termis. Wouldning them anyone't put the baffles back in but going on long UK trip b4 Spain soon so don't want "attention" of rozzers. Any tricks or tips to inserting/removing them anyone? Couldn't actually get one in so back to (excellent Hampshire) dealer next week.
Andy

Mostro69
05-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Andy - I just got the baffles back out this afternoon and very glad to have the Monster sing the same old Devil's song again.

So, getting them in: Be dead sure of the screw alignment first of all, because twisting it into line once they're in is a pain and I nearly buggered one up trying to twist it. A few taps with something blunt (I used a rubber mallet) got it in nice and snug.

Removing them: Was not a problem after all - after getting at the awkward angle of the allen screws, I just gripped the baffle's centre-pin with a pair of pliers and gently nudged it left-and-right until it popped out.

Dukescrotum
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks very much for that; I did manage to get one in and out fairly easily but even with lining the screw hole up carefully I could not get the baffle to go in far enough. Then, thinking I too would never hear the devils noise again struggled to get it out again. Had to remove the no plate to get enough grip (serves me right for having a legal plate I suppose!). I'm encouraged by what you say and I'll see what the dealer can do to make it easier on Tuesday. Thanks again.

redheinz57
06-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi it is easier to remove baffles when the exhausts are hot the easiest way to remove them is a slide hammer hooked on the centre pin its how we do it at the dealership

Dukescrotum
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Tried the hot exhaust trick, didn't help! Thanks for the tip tho:thumbsup:

Dukescrotum
09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
My friendly Duke dealer ground off a little bit from each baffle and they now fit with ease hot or cold. They actually said that even with hot pipes it doesn't help, so 5 mins with the grinder and all is well again ie I can get them out!! Hope this helps.
Andy

Mostro69
09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Will bear it in mind, thanks Andy.

J.P
09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
One question I have about the 'baffles out' is what happens if you do get stopped by the police for being noisy ?
Slap on the wrist ? On the spot fine ? 3 points on ya license ?

Mostro69
09-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I was assured by the dealer (Ducati Aylesbury) that the way they sold me the bike (baffles out) was legal, due to some loophole about visible/invisible labels or something like that. I should do my homework and check it out for sure, but personally I'm happy to rumble on without 'em.

Dukescrotum
09-05-2007, 12:15 PM
The E number stamped on the end of the can that says they are legal is there regardless of whether the baffles are in or out. There is a small hole where the baffles are held by a screw, but this could easily be a "drain hole or something" ossifer! If the rozzers know their stuff they will know something is missing, but if they know that much SURELY they will appreciate and enjoy the magical noise.. I'll bet it this is a grey area?? No idea of penalty points etc, and legal eagles out there that do?

J.P
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
fair enough. I couldn't bring myself to put them back in.

Nice bike by the way Dukecrotum. Looks cool.

Dukescrotum
09-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks, all I've done is add an S4 carbon belly pan, carbon hugger (how they get away with the price and lovely Ohlins shocker but nothing to protect it I don't know!) and the full Termi system. The looks are all Ducatis great work at the end of the day!

J.P
09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
If, no, when, I move up to an S4 I think I'll follow the same colour lines.