PDA

View Full Version : Have Ducati lost their way

Will
26-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Just been looking at the Ducati website - first time for ages - what has happened? All the good looking bikes have disappeared :worried: Even the ones that look vaguely sexy are only available in uninspiring colours - they have become all so bland looking, those black wheels are hideous!

What happened to the cool looking Monsters, M1000ie in red + grey wheels?, the red S2R800 with white stripe and wheels? Even the 749 and 999 looked better than that 1098 Japanese look alike monstrosity. Is this finally the end of civilisation? What has gone wrong?:scratch:

banditloon
26-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Just been looking at the Ducati website - first time for ages - what has happened? All the good looking bikes have disappeared :worried: Even the ones that look vaguely sexy are only available in uninspiring colours - they have become all so bland looking, those black wheels are hideous!
What happened to the cool looking Monsters, M1000ie in red + grey wheels?, the red S2R800 with white stripe and wheels?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek White wheels... So wrong... Chain lube makes them black soon enough (and brake dust, road crap, ect ect) :chuckle:

Even the 749 and 999 looked better than that 1098 Japanese look alike monstrosity. Is this finally the end of civilisation? What has gone wrong?:scratch:

Already seen on a few other 'forums' members saying they have mistaken the new 1098 for CBR's..... :confused: I just won't buy a new bike at the moment as they all look the same.

Give me a bike with character and some carbs :thumbsup:

banditloon
26-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh and according to the Ducati website, my bike doesn't exsist.. How cool!! :confused:

NattyBoy
26-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Oi! Wots wrong with Black wheels..? I'll be round yours in the early hours to stick a bat up your nightdress....:biggrin:

johnnystorm
26-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Lacking a mid range sports bike imho.

What if you don't want a monster (easy, I mean you've already got one! ;) ) but dont want a 1098 (or 848 eventually) , trailie MS, big tourer or Supermoto?

Zimbo
26-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Matter of opinion I guess. I like the 1098, and the fact demand has far outstripped supply indicates I'm not alone. The S4RS has been well recieved everywhere, the Hypermotard is drop dead gorgeous, the sport classic range is selling well. I think, for the first time in years, ducati have got it right!
Colours - Red, black, yellow - pretty much as they've been for many years! The Tricolore looks good, the pearl white monsters seem popular too.

Bodybag
26-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Matter of opinion I guess. I like the 1098, and the fact demand has far outstripped supply indicates I'm not alone. The S4RS has been well recieved everywhere, the Hypermotard is drop dead gorgeous, the sport classic range is selling well. I think, for the first time in years, ducati have got it right!
Colours - Red, black, yellow - pretty much as they've been for many years! The Tricolore looks good, the pearl white monsters seem popular too.

I have to agree with Zimbo. The range is stronger now than its been since the 916 and Monster were first released in the mid nineties.

Mr Cake
26-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Bikes don't have character. They're a couple of hundred kilos worth of metal, rubber, and plastic. They'll even fall over if you let go of them. I like to think its the rider's personality and character that makes the difference no matter what make, model, or marque it may be.

I recently read somewhere that Ducati had an R1 to base it's 1098 design on. This isn't the first time they have done this. A few of the Hon-duh NR750's design cues were evident in the 916. Its not copying, its trimming the edges, fine polishing and honing a design that has already worked. With sales still impressive and the 1098 in more demand than Ducati can cope with I think they seem to be just finding their way.

Dave

banditloon
27-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Bikes don't have character. They're a couple of hundred kilos worth of metal, rubber, and plastic.

Mine does... :p

Mr C
27-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Im not the biggest 1098 fan. Of the current range id have to go for the Hypermotard & the S4RS

Mr Cake
27-04-2007, 04:52 PM
The tricolore 1089 is proper though!!!

Dave

Zimbo
27-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Lacking a mid range sports bike imho.

I think you're right, however I understand a 848cc replacement for the 749 is due out in 2008 as long as sufficient interest is shown, hopefully that'll sort it! It'll be pretty much the same bike as the 1098, but with the smaller engine obviously and presumably a lower price tag!
Shame they've axed the SS range though.

Mr Cake
27-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Oooo did you see the MCN article about the underside of the 1098's tank? The numbers 849 are present along with the 1098 stamp :mand:

Dave

johnnystorm
27-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I think you're right, however I understand a 848cc replacement for the 749 is due out in 2008 as long as sufficient interest is shown, hopefully that'll sort it! It'll be pretty much the same bike as the 1098, but with the smaller engine obviously and presumably a lower price tag!

Yeah, but I bet it'll still cost more than a GSXR 1000! I know they are a small company and can't do everything at once but some SS replacements are surely their next mission?

Mr Cake
27-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but I bet it'll still cost more than a GSXR 1000!
You bet yer life it will be! Tell you what, go and get yourself a good 851 cos they're two better than the 849 :p Seriously though, they're going round in bloody circles! Bang-for-buck doesn't appear in Ducati's sales brochures! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Ducati fan but their pricing has always been, well a bit dear :(

Dave

DavidEJM
27-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Ducati fan but their pricing has always been, well a bit dear :(

Dave

Surely this is part of the attraction though. We want something more exclusive than the usual even if that means we accept idiosyncracies.

I tell my mates I've got a Ducati and it means something, even to a non biker.

I drive an Alfa. It was more expensive to buy, run, insure and maintain but it is an expression and a projection (no, stop it!!) of my individuality.

Sorry, this reply didn't start off a rant...............been a busy week..............I'll get my coat!:spin: :spin:

desmo
27-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I reckon the Monster range could do with a facelift.
I like the new moto morini.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/Corsaro-1200-vel-ner-230.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/Corsaro-1200-vel-ner2-420.jpg

What the new Monster should look like I reckon

Desmo.

Kiwi
27-04-2007, 08:24 PM

all about making more money, every SS sold is one paul smart replica they can't sell

both cost about the same to produce and one retails at a lot higher price, simple economics

have just bought a 900ss and its brilliant

banditloon
27-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Surely this is part of the attraction though. We want something more exclusive than the usual even if that means we accept idiosyncracies.

I drive an Alfa. It was more expensive to buy, run, insure and maintain but it is an expression and a projection (no, stop it!!) of my individuality.

Sorry, this reply didn't start off a rant...............been a busy week..............I'll get my coat!:spin: :spin:

:thumbsup: I'll get my coat to as I agree with you DavidEJM :D

banditloon
27-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I reckon the Monster range could do with a facelift.
I like the new moto morini.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/Corsaro-1200-vel-ner-230.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/Corsaro-1200-vel-ner2-420.jpg

What the new Monster should look like I reckon

Desmo.

:D

Wouldn't replace my Nessie though.

Mr Cake
29-04-2007, 05:20 AM
I'd have totally agreed with you just over a year ago... Until I decided I'm not buying a bike for my mates, or anyone else. I'm buying a bike for me!

Dave

banditloon
29-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I'd have totally agreed with you just over a year ago... Until I decided I'm not buying a bike for my mates, or anyone else. I'm buying a bike for me!

Dave

So you'd rather have a bike, that most other bikers have, and disappear into the crowd of other Jap 4 stroke bikes. Instead of something that is 'exotic' and most other bikers (and some non bikers) desire after. Doesn't make sense to me.

Of all the bikes I've owned over the past 'few' years. The Ducati has been the one I'm enjoying the most. Fine the Jap bikes I've owned will last a lot longer than the Ducati, but just going to work using the bike, going down the town or heading out with a few mates (on non Ducatis), and I will be the one spoken to by bikers or non bikers about the said exotica that I own.

And yes I bought the Monster for me. I've always wanted to have a Monster, ever since passing my bike test, and after this one there will be more to follow! I've made my choice of what marque/model of bike to own, everyone else has made theirs.

Just do the one thing the bikes enjoy more than anything... Ride the bloody things!!! :thumbsup:

Don't care I'm ranting now!!!

gremlin
29-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Tother half has two jap bikes and was steering me towards the same but, I didn't like any of them particularly and I didn't fit on them either, I tried a friends monster and could touch the floor and it sounded soooo good. I love the sound of Gremlin with her blue flames burbling, you don't get that on jap bikes.
I do love the Morini though but lack of funds will keep me with my little yellow peril. I know people hark on about reliability, on ride outs we did with mates the only bike that broke down was the monster!! But my only car for a few years was an MG TF replica so I'm used to waiting for a tow home.

Mr Cake
29-04-2007, 09:34 AM
So you'd rather have a bike, that most other bikers have, and disappear into the crowd of other Jap 4 stroke bikes. Instead of something that is 'exotic' and most other bikers (and some non bikers) desire after. Doesn't make sense to me.
Well yeah really. But I make sure mine is the cleanest and most cared for rice rocket out there and its gets alot of attention for that alone. As Gremlin mentioned about fitting on the bike, I dwarfed my Monster. I managed to catch a look at myself in a shop window and decided it had to go. The Yam looks and feels right for me, and that was the basis of my choice. I also found the Yam better to ride slowly around town thanks to the rear brake not being numb. The engine sound issue is not a problem with me because I don't like my bikes loud. I had loud pipes on my Monster and they ended up just pissing me off. Although I love hearing the sound of a Bologna twin roaring away in the distance, I just don't like being sat on them. I miss my Monster something chronic and I'm quietly considering racing one in the DD Champs.

But to summerise; I just wanted to go incredibly fast for less than the cost of a used 749. For this the Monster just didn't cut it.

Dave

banditloon
30-04-2007, 10:58 AM
After my mate saying he didn't like the 1098, compaired to his current 999S. He went out and ordered one! He's picking it up in July.

The Hypermotard is one seriously scary looking bike, just the sort of thing I could do with :chuckle:

NattyBoy
30-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Bikes don't have character. They're a couple of hundred kilos worth of metal, rubber, and plastic. They'll even fall over if you let go of them. I like to think its the rider's personality and character that makes the difference no matter what make, model, or marque it may be.

I recently read somewhere that Ducati had an R1 to base it's 1098 design on. This isn't the first time they have done this. A few of the Hon-duh NR750's design cues were evident in the 916. Its not copying, its trimming the edges, fine polishing and honing a design that has already worked. With sales still impressive and the 1098 in more demand than Ducati can cope with I think they seem to be just finding their way.

Dave

Are you for real Dave ???!!!! Of course a good deal of bikes - italian or otherwise (and many cars for that matter) have character !!!

I reckon all those emmissions from all that uncle bens you use has gone to your head mate..lol !!!

Mr Cake
01-05-2007, 05:49 AM
I reckon all those emmissions from all that uncle bens you use has gone to your head mate..lol !!!
Perhaps lol!

Dave