PDA

View Full Version : bs numbers

cheeky monkey
25-04-2007, 10:48 PM
how can i get my cans b/s marked? they came from germany but are proper ducati remus.

JamesH
25-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Without in any way trying to hijack, I thought that the law was that cans are also legal if they have an equivalent stamp, is this correct? And so therefore if the cans are Germany-legal then you couldn't be done for them over here. I ask as I imported my TSR system from Japan, it's in no way too loud to be illegal but I just thought you maybe able to dispute the fine.

JamesH

cheeky monkey
25-04-2007, 11:00 PM
there isnt any markins at all.

Shandy
25-04-2007, 11:02 PM
mmmmm interesting, my understanding is that no marks mean legal for older bikes, as long as theres no 'race use only' etc stamped in them they cant do you BS or no BS!!

cheeky monkey
25-04-2007, 11:17 PM
tried to argue that one. he said no bs number £30. and he would also give the bike a good check over. so had to shut up . really felt like a criminal

sadbiker
26-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Are they ducati performance cans. Do they have baffles in ?.

banditloon
26-04-2007, 10:43 AM
From the MOT requirement site;

The exhaust mountings must be secure and not fouling any part of the rear suspension
The exhaust must not be holed and free from leaks from both joints and box(es)
Replacements units, other than bikes registered before 01.Jan.1985, must have the BSAU 193 stamp

There was some people on Fleabay selling BSAU stamped plates for bike exhausts. See if anything comes up in a search.

Damn rozzers :hissy: :grump:

bigredduke
26-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Try this mob. They are good quality but I don't know if they will convince agents of the nanny state!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-EXHAUST-TAGS-PLATES_W0QQitemZ320082305189QQihZ011QQcategoryZ256 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nambduke
26-04-2007, 11:44 AM
From the MOT requirement site;

The exhaust mountings must be secure and not fouling any part of the rear suspension
The exhaust must not be holed and free from leaks from both joints and box(es)
Replacements units, other than bikes registered before 01.Jan.1985, must have the BSAU 193 stamp

There was some people on Fleabay selling BSAU stamped plates for bike exhausts. See if anything comes up in a search.

Damn rozzers :hissy: :grump:

Thought the BSAU part had been removed from the latest MOT rules/guidance? First 2 parts are right, but the noise level is at the decretion of the MOT tester now. They only look for markings which say for race use only or similar for failing an exhaust from my understanding....but I'll stand corrected if this isn't the case!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

nambduke
26-04-2007, 11:51 AM
how can i get my cans b/s marked? they came from germany but are proper ducati remus.

You can't get the DP Remus cans stamped as they are not type approved. I have the same hi level cans in titanium on my M1000ie....which don't have any markings anywhere. NOTE: To add marks to an unapproved can(s) is highly illegal and will incur an even higher fine.

MOTs are slightly different now....it is up to the discretion of the MOT tester to decide whether the cans are too noisy compared to a standard or type approved/stamped comparable system. If they have for race use only, immediate fail....no markings it's up to his discretion.

Seems the summer is here again everyone!! Same issues...same problems....

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Chaos Inc.
26-04-2007, 12:46 PM
You should have told him he has more than enough bs for the both of you.

banditloon
26-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I remember a meeting at Stockley Park Roundabout many years ago, getting 'raided' by the police. Every bike parked up at the meeting was subjected to the ghestapos measuring numberplate, checking tax discs and checking exhausts, before going on to check the rest of the bikes. About 75% of the bikers at the meet had 7 day wonders to a 'special' meeting at the local police station with their documents (and of course all the problems put right!).

No idea on the changes to MOT testing, as so far in my biking career I've only had 2 bikes go through an MOT in 14 years (bearing in mind my Bandit is 8 years old and has only ever had 2 MOT's due to being modded and now being rebuilt). It'll be interesting when Nessie is due her MOT in October and getting through the summer un-harmed from the local police nazis.

You should have told him he has more than enough bs for the both of you.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

cheeky monkey
26-04-2007, 03:54 PM
called in at my local mot center . its not part of the mot to have a bs number. just cant say not for race use on them.

NBs
26-04-2007, 08:47 PM
The on-line mot manual does state that after-market cans must have a BS or EC mark. BUT... the date on that page is 2001, and I think that part has now been removed, and it's now down to the testers discretion so long as is doesn't say 'not for highway use' or similar.

BUT...
Before launching into a knife-fight with the copper about what the MOT manual says, bear in mind that the MOT and the road traffic regulations are not the same thing - just cos the bike passes an MOT doesn't mean it's road legal!

scrumpster
26-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I could have a word with the blokes at work and find out for you?!!!

cheeky monkey
26-04-2007, 10:31 PM
it would be interesting to find out the facts.

nambduke
26-04-2007, 10:47 PM
.............bear in mind that the MOT and the road traffic regulations are not the same thing - just cos the bike passes an MOT doesn't mean it's road legal!

This is the bit I really love! The law is a complete ar$e isn't it!! I always thought the MOT was the one check in the year when officialdom actually checked that the vehicle was road legal........I despair, I really do!!!!

Mark Nambduke

nambduke
26-04-2007, 10:51 PM
I could have a word with the blokes at work and find out for you?!!!

MOT Tester guidance note on exhausts...version 2004.....

Zimbo
26-04-2007, 11:02 PM
MOT and Construction & Use regs are two entirely different sets of legislation, being done for a non road legal can is in contravention of the Construction and Use regs, the MOT regs are totally irrevelant (unless you don't have one of course!!!)
Adding your own E mark to a non approved can carries a serious criminal charge, no way is it worth it and the police will throw the book at you.

nambduke
26-04-2007, 11:08 PM
MOT and Construction & Use regs are two entirely different sets of legislation, being done for a non road legal can is in contravention of the Construction and Use regs, the MOT regs are totally irrevelant (unless you don't have one of course!!!)
Adding your own E mark to a non approved can carries a serious criminal charge, no way is it worth it and the police will throw the book at you.

Blob on.....I meant to say road worthy, not road legal.....even so, I still think all of this biker victimisation is a complete waste of police time and effort.....ask Bigredduke.....he went out for a ride last year with a group...ended up being followed by the police only to have the other guys peel off like a squadron of spitfires down every little side road!!!

NC35
27-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Interested to know what the penalties are for "illegally" marking up cans...

I suppose the previous owner must have done it caries no clout...

Also the DP Termis have the markings in the most awkward of places - on the inside (side closest to the tyre)

Suppose the answer is to stay legal :mad:

banditloon
27-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Suppose the answer is to stay legal :mad:

Just ride the bike without cans! They can't moan about the BS marks then :chuckle:

I'm sure the old excuse, "they fell off, officer" would work...

:chuckle: :chuckle:

andros
27-04-2007, 02:19 PM
But would they go to the bother of proving that someone had added the stickers, I'm not so sure they would.

Anyway thanks to Cheeky for the warning, think I'll be avoiding Squires for a while at least.

banditloon
27-04-2007, 03:12 PM
But would they go to the bother of proving that someone had added the stickers, I'm not so sure they would.

Anyway thanks to Cheeky for the warning, think I'll be avoiding Squires for a while at least.

Probably, just to prove a point :grump:

Zimbo
27-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Not worth the risk in my opinion. Caught with illegal cans - £30 fine.
Caught having added BS mark illegally - court appearance, criminal conviction.
It's worth paying the £30 every year if necessary, to avoid the conviction.

NBs
27-04-2007, 05:17 PM
MOT Tester guidance note on exhausts...version 2004.....

Yep, that's just like wot I thought.
Thanks for the scan.

Now... who wants to discuss 'daytime MOTs'?

I'll get my coat!

bigredduke
27-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Just to muddy the waters a bit! the regulations state that 'amateur builders may be exempt from all or some of the regulations'. Does that refer to whole bike or just parts? I mention it because it is quite easy to buy carbon sleeves and ends and actually make your own cans and no DIYer presumably would be able to claim BS193.

Also, an 'E' mark from Europe is acceptable in place of BS193 if I interpret the regs correctly!

crust
27-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Interested to know what the penalties are for "illegally" marking up cans...

The offence is 'attempting to pervert the course of justice'

the penalty can be

a fine

or

a free holiday in one of HM govts holiday camps

or

something in between

:)Crust

bigredduke
01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
According to advice from hampshire trading standards, second-hand exhausts are exempt! My exhaust was second-hand from Germany (well part of it anyway!) am I reading the regs correctly?

http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/tradingstandards/motorcycle.html

crust
02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
According to advice from hampshire trading standards, second-hand exhausts are exempt! My exhaust was second-hand from Germany (well part of it anyway!) am I reading the regs correctly?

http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/tradingstandards/motorcycle.html

Thats the 'trading' standards website, it is outlining the law regarding sales, ie it is legal to 'sell' s/h exhausts.

For example it is legal for them to sell loud s/h exhausts for my 86 Guzzi.

The construction and use regs require BS or E marked exhausts on a post 96 bike.

Its that simple.

He says smiling, one of the benefits of owning a 94 Monster

If you dont like it, lobby your MP.

Zimbo
02-05-2007, 09:42 PM
The construction and use regs require BS or E marked exhausts on a post 96 bike.

Its that simple.

He says smiling, one of the benefits of owning a 94 Monster

Is that right then, that pre-'96 bikes don't have to have BS or E marked cans? Wasn't aware of that, though I knew pre-84 bikes don't have to conform to any exhaust regs.
Yet another reason to hang on to the '95 M900 then!

Mr C
02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Is that right then, that pre-'96 bikes don't have to have BS or E marked cans? Wasn't aware of that, though I knew pre-84 bikes don't have to conform to any exhaust regs.
Yet another reason to hang on to the '95 M900 then!

So my 01/02/1996 916 will be safe from the fed's?