PDA

View Full Version : Clutch rebuild

DevilBoy
25-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Hello guys

I recently, well last summer, took a nice trip down the road on my bum, and watched my bike slide into a curb.
As much of a laugh as that was :worried: , I now only have to put the new tank on, and look at repairing the clutch.

This weekend, the tank.

Can anyone offer any tips as to what to do to replace the old dented scratched, and still half full, '02 S4 tank, with a new (and wrong colour) one from nice ebay people.

Next question.
The clutch got a good whack, and the outside plate thing got the brunt of the force, ripping it from the bike almost.
So i'm left with a mangled outside plate, attached to long rod, with lots of lovely pressure plate thingies on the inside.

So, does anyone know what I have to replace, and what I've gotta do to get the clutch up and running again?
I've done the easy bit, and bought a gold DP clutch plate thing, which is nice.
But I'm guessing I need a new Hub, basket and pressure plates?

If I do, how much will that set me back, can I put it together myself, and how easy or hard is it.

Cheers Guys!!!
DB :ymca:

Scotty
25-04-2007, 04:24 PM
take it to bits and see what else is bust first i guess

and yeah its all easy

DevilBoy
26-04-2007, 08:44 AM
I'll pull all the guts out this weekend then, see what I need to do.
I thought I'd need torque wrenches and allsorts to get the clutch all sorted?

If not, I can probably work it out myself then.

As for the tank, I'm a bit worried about the pump and plumbing.
I took a look last night, and I can't work out how to get the cap off...
I took all the bolts out, and the little grub screws out.
But it doesn't seem to wanna come out of the tank for some reason.
Is it a case of giving it a good tug?

Cheers
DB

Scotty
26-04-2007, 04:14 PM
depends what youve bust in the clutch if the posts (the 6 pointey bits that the caps screw onto) have snapped off the hub in the middel of the clutch yes tools are needed to get that out / replaced

fuel tank, if you have all the grubscrews out then yeah just 'pull it off'

if theres one thing i realy dislike about the monster its fiddeling around inside the petrol tank takeing bits out

DevilBoy
27-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I did take the grub screw out yeah!

I think I'll give it a good yank later on, put some muscle behind the problem!

One other thing with the tank. I'm going to get the new one painted to match my cowl. Am I right in thinking, that if Its got the same pipework on the inside, and a little clip thing to hold the fuel pump, then this is DEFINATELY the right kind of tank I'm talking about?

It'll definately fit my S4 (which has a fuel pump inside the tank)?

If so, I got a guy coming round to spray it up for me, for £120. Sounds like a good price to me!

Inregards to the clutch, yes, the post things have snapped off the hub.
So I'm probably better off trying to get the bits as cheap as i can, and taking it to my local garage?
Or can they source the bits quite cheap do you think...

Probably better to ask them really!

Cheers!

Scotty
27-04-2007, 04:43 PM
shop around i dont thin kthere 'insanely' priced from a main dealer or try your luck on ebay again or even persuade yourself into a slipepr clutch (dont do it for the road IMHO)

tank sounds like the right one i think theres only the two types of metal tank but i could easily be wrong there