PDA

View Full Version : Light switch

Dave G
19-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I'd like the ability to turn off my lights,on the newer bikes they're hard wired on permanantly.
Is it as simple as replacing the bar switch unit with one of the older ones with an off/on button?

Albie
19-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Technicaly by law you should not and may be an mot failure in later years. Maybe just wire in another switch near the lamp so you can switch the circuit off when you want and not tamper with the switch.

crust
19-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Technicaly by law you should not and will be an mot failure in later years. Maybe just wire in another switch near the lamp so you can switch the circuit off when you want and not tamper with the switch.

Which law is that?

Why would it be an MOT failure?

Mines had an MOT recently and it didn't fail.

:confused: Crust

slob
19-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Which law is that?

Your bike was registered before '04 (might be '03).

crust
19-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Date registered dosn't matter, its not a legal requirement to have lights permanently on.

There is an agreement between ACEM (association des constructeurs europeens de motorcycles) and the EU to wire lights permanently on but its not UK law.

:)Crust

banditloon
20-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Shame bikes don't have the same ability as my Saab. Take the fuse out of the daylight running lights and the jobs done. No lights on :chuckle:

Date registered dosn't matter, its not a legal requirement to have lights permanently on.

There is an agreement between ACEM (association des constructeurs europeens de motorcycles) and the EU to wire lights permanently on but its not UK law.

Shame we will be swallowed into the EU law biased rubbish soon... Damn if that happens I'll start talking like Inspector Closseau :chuckle: Do you have a licence for your Minster?? ;)

Capo
20-04-2007, 08:08 AM
You can replace the right hand switch with part number 65040081A.
Your bike is currently fitted with 65040081B that has the light switch blanked off, this switch has the 'guts' but has the operating lever removed and blanked. In order to keep the lights permanently on, the wires are joined together in the short harness connected to the switch.

slob
20-04-2007, 08:19 AM
You can replace the right hand switch with part number 65040081A.
Your bike is currently fitted with 65040081B that has the light switch blanked off, this switch has the 'guts' but has the operating lever removed and blanked. In order to keep the lights permanently on, the wires are joined together in the short harness connected to the switch.

You might be able to get a broken switch from a breakers and just get the lever. Suzuki Bandit uses the same switchgear.

Albie
20-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Which law is that?

If you notice we are talking about an s2r new type bike which has a new european headlamp law which says that it must have lights on at all times. Not talking about older types like even my 2003 s4 which does not require it. By ministry of transport checks it must be wired at time of checking to be permanently on. Just like our cans must have legal markings technically.

What you do to it is down to you.

crust
21-04-2007, 11:12 AM
If you notice we are talking about an s2r new type bike which has a new european headlamp law which says that it must have lights on at all times. Not talking about older types like even my 2003 s4 which does not require it. By ministry of transport checks it must be wired at time of checking to be permanently on. Just like our cans must have legal markings technically.

What you do to it is down to you.

Albie, its an agreement between the manufacturers not a law, it pays them to fit hard wired lights to all bikes as they have to fit them for some european countries.

There is no UK law that says you must have your headlight on, on any year of bike.

It is not part of the UK construction and use regulations.

Both MAG and BMF are lobbying to prevent this becoming law as there is no statistical evidence that having headlight on makes any difference to visibility.

Albie
21-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Fair enough. Cant see the point of not being able to turn your lights of on anything if you need to especially if your batterys getting mashed and you may want a bit more juice. Bureaucrats. I think i would just wire a on/off switch in series though if it were mine.

crust
21-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Fair enough. Cant see the point of not being able to turn your lights of on anything if you need to especially if your batterys getting mashed and you may want a bit more juice. Bureaucrats. I think i would just wire a on/off switch in series though if it were mine.

It winds me up a treat.

Nanny state politicians who think they know best.

There's no scientific evidence that lights on makes a difference but the nanny state gits in some countries have decided we wont even have the choice.

The manufacturers have decided that its cheapest for them to have one set of switchgear and to make sure there's no argument they all agree to toe the party line.

You're right about the starting and lights though, especially with the alarms that bikes are plagued with nowadays.

You want to go to a trackday and see what happens to plastic headlight lenses when they're taped up all day.