PDA

View Full Version : Hi all!

Welly
19-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Just a quick note to say hello.

Having passed my bike test about 6 years ago, it's taken me to now to purchase a bike. I'm now the proud owner of an 04 620.

Quick confession, already dropped her, felt physically sick afterwards for ages! Oh well better at zero mph than forty i guess...

Please excuse my biking ignorance (which will become more and more obvious with my posts!). I'm hoping to learn quickly!

All the best,

Welly

Bodybag
19-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Hello and welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about dropping it. I'm sure its only superficial damage. Horrible feeling all the same. You're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last. :D

banditloon
19-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Welly.

Don't worry about dropping it, they seem to bounce back easily at 0mph. Just don't make a habbit of it!! Mine fell off the paddock stand a couple of weeks ago (numpty mechanic :dunce:) But all sorted now with the help of the members from this here forum :thumbsup: and some laughing from the neighbours..... :spin:

Pegleg Pete
19-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Welcome Welly :)

I took delivery of my '01 600 dark a few weeks ago now so I'm just getting to know everyone aswell.

You're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last.

I was just getting on my bike outside The Cricketers pub in Wisborough Green yesterday after visiting my aunt for a beer in the glorious sunshine.

Hopped on and pressed the start button, only to be dragged forward 2 feet because I had left her in gear :P I always leave it in neutral so I didnt think to glance at the dash light as I was turned sideways chatting to my aunt at the time. I thought the bike was going to just dissapear from between my legs leaving me standing in the same spot in the same position as if the bike was still there! Not very cool I tell thee! :look:

Bodybag
19-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Do
Users
Comb
All
The
Inuits?

I think I need help!!?

Kato
19-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Welcome welly.

Sorry Pete just sat here laughing my head of at the thought of carry on bikeing moment, should'nt realy I know mental image just tickled me though:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

banditloon
19-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Hopped on and pressed the start button, only to be dragged forward 2 feet because I had left her in gear :P I always leave it in neutral so I didnt think to glance at the dash light as I was turned sideways chatting to my aunt at the time. I thought the bike was going to just dissapear from between my legs leaving me standing in the same spot in the same position as if the bike was still there! Not very cool I tell thee! :look:

Try doing it with the disc lock still on as well. Hours of fun. The crowd that gathered round me, thought I'd broken my leg or arm or something as I was just lying on the floor laughing too much. Then they noticed the offending yellow lock on the disc! :dunce: :chuckle:

**NOTE TO SELF**

Always check the front discs and what gear before pressing the red (loud) button :chuckle:

SazzaG
19-04-2007, 01:36 PM
The Cricketers pub in Wisborough Green

Aha, a favourite haunt of the Sussex monsterers! I'm surprised you didn't get accosted by our Gim (he seems to live there, as far as I can tell).

Anyway, welcome Welly!

I've dropped my bike at 0mph three times - the first time I rode it (on an airfield, before I passed my test), while wheeling it backwards at a bike meet in front of loads of bikers, and in my driveway while chatting to my mum (didn't check the sidestand - too busy nattering).

Luckily, the sum damage of the three was a small dent in the tank (which was made bigger by an off at 20mph), scratched can and heel guard, and one bent lever. They do seem to bounce surprisingly well (so do I!).

So welcome again - you'll find us a friendly bunch on the most part, but watch out for Didge - he's very smelly.

Saz

Pegleg Pete
19-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I was just lying on the floor laughing too much

I couldn't stop giggling to myself. It was a complete carry on biking moment. All I was missing was a duck pond to sit in with some pondweed sat jauntily on my head and a white duck swimming round me quacking while I squirted a goldfish out of my mouth. Oh, and some daft music.

I think the locals were looking to see a) what it sounded like when I started it, followed swiftly by b) Suprise, as I shot forwards with my legs waggling around followed swiftly by c) Interest, to see what my next trick would be d) Appreciation, as I finally got my act together and fired her up! After that they sort of lost interest and picked up there conversation where they left off.

Aha, a favourite haunt of the Sussex monsterers! I'm surprised you didn't get accosted by our Gim (he seems to live there, as far as I can tell).

I go there a lot as my Aunts house is all of a 1 minute stomp away. She lives there too :P Would be great to meet some other monsterers from that way then :) You going to be around this weekend Sazza?

Pegleg Pete
19-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Dont
Underestimate
Clutches
Alright?
They're
Important

Welly
19-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes - and making me feeling better about dropping it, especially Pete's story!

It is just superficial damage but still more than I'd like! A very small tank dent, some small scrapes on a can and lever, but annoyingly quite a few scratches on the seat cowl.

The problem is the seat doesn't lock properly, and while trying to keep the bike upright, it came off with me ending up sitting on it, upside down, paintwork smothered into the gravel! Not helpful.

Does anyone please have any tips for getting the seat to attach properly - I think the bolt isn't high/low enough and should I just be using t-cut/touch-up paint for the scratches? Or is there some other marvel product?

Thanks,

Welly

Scotty
19-04-2007, 07:03 PM
think you can sort the seatlock with washers under some bolts somewhere or something

yeharrr
19-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I dropped my V.max, well sort off. I had just finnished possing on it. I had made my wife film me riding up the farm lane on ot in hair in the wind. I pulled into the yard, got off, turned and did my cool dude walk over to where she was. I heard a sort of groany, crynchy thudy sort of noise from behind and turned to see that, in my haste topose, I had not put it on it's side stand very well and over it had gone. Always happens when you are trying your best to pose. I would post the vid for you all to laugh at, but the mempry card had reached it's limit moments before. I think I have posted before about trying to leave the Houghton sprint with my D lock still on. I dug a nice big hole. Ah and then there was the time I pulled in just before white scar caves in Ingleton. Put mu foot into a pothole and went over. Almost didn't get up as the max was sooo heavy in the flat on the floor position with me under it!!

yeharrr
19-04-2007, 07:14 PM
The problem is the seat doesn't lock properly, and while trying to keep the bike upright, it came off with me ending up sitting on it, upside down, paintwork smothered into the gravel! Not helpful.

Does anyone please have any tips for getting the seat to attach properly - I think the bolt isn't high/low enough and should I just be using t-cut/touch-up paint for the scratches? Or is there some other marvel product?

Thanks,

Welly
Yes, washers do the trick. Had the same thing when I rode mine home. Just unscrew the catch where it is mounted on the frame and try two or three washers. Make sure the bolts are still long enough to get a decent amount of thread turned in. I think some after market tea trays can just put the light in a slightly different position and make the seat not quite catvh the lock.

Gim
19-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Saz

How very....very dare you ! :booze: :chuckle:
By the way you are the talk of the crics Pete :chuckle:

Welly
20-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks Scotty and Yeharr, I picked up some washers on the way home yesterday thinking that might work. Will give it a go.

Cheers.

gremlin
20-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Being of small stature I've dropped mine a few times, usually cos I haven't noticed potholes or camber! Foot goes down into hole, bike goes over just that bit too far and there you are like a beetle on it's back. Luckily I've only been trapped under bike once that was when I hit gravel and pothole didn't have time to get feet down and ended up trapped. Tother half rescued me after twenty minutes. He hadn't seen it happen, had gone into our drive put bike away, had fag, gone indoors made coffee, then wondered where I'd got to and found me at the end of the main drive. Bent bars, dislocated knee no other damage!

Pegleg Pete
20-04-2007, 12:55 PM
By the way you are the talk of the crics Pete

Hmm..Im not sure I dare ask :P If you know my Aunt Yvonne as I do, I actually believe the above statement, scarily enough! She would be the one doing all the talking on behalf of the crics, that is.