PDA

View Full Version : M600 Monster Problem.

tomferreira
17-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi All,

Just got my first monster home (2000 M600 on 9700 miles)this weekend. Previous owner had it running perfectly and it was running like a dream up the M4 home when it stalled on my driveway and refuses to start again.

Plenty of fuel in the tank, sparks at the plugs and fuel comes out of the drainage lines from the carbs. I'm completely baffled. Surely spark + fuel = engine running, but just turns over but doesn't fire.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Pleeeeeaaase!!!

Thanks, Tom.

hammy
17-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Tom

I'm no expert, & I'm not sure why she should have stalled on you, but the fact you're struggling to get her going makes me think it COULD be the ignition relay. I had a similar VERY frustrating problem last year. Everything appeared ok, but she just wouldn't fire. There's two of the little bleeders next to the battery (1 inch square black boxes). That's where I'd start. Swap them over first, see if she starts, then replace one/both.They're only about a fiver a piece. I also keep a spare under the seat!!

Good luck
David

gremlin
17-04-2007, 02:12 PM
do you have compression ?

tomferreira
17-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure Gremlin. How would I check that?

tomferreira
17-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Tom

I'm no expert, & I'm not sure why she should have stalled on you, but the fact you're struggling to get her going makes me think it COULD be the ignition relay. I had a similar VERY frustrating problem last year. Everything appeared ok, but she just wouldn't fire. There's two of the little bleeders next to the battery (1 inch square black boxes). That's where I'd start. Swap them over first, see if she starts, then replace one/both.They're only about a fiver a piece. I also keep a spare under the seat!!

Good luck
David

Thanks for the advice David. I'll do as you suggest and keep the old fingers crossed.

Lost Again
17-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Generally with a compression tester screwed in where the spark plugs normally go. Just a gauge on a hose really.

Lost Again
17-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Just thought, how hot was it when it stalled. If you'd just done a long journey on a hot day its possible it overheated (but unlikely). If it still wont fire when its cooled down a bit then thats that 1 ruled out.

tomferreira
17-04-2007, 02:40 PM
It had cooled right down and I was just running it into the garage for the evening. It's been left over night and still won't start.

Lost Again
17-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Hmm, got me confused then. I'd want to say electrical but you say you've got a spark. Mind you, I have heard that spark plugs can give a spark when they're out but then fail under compression. Might be worth trying some new ones. Though I could be wrong.
No doubt someone with more knowledge will dive in soon.

tomferreira
17-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks Lost!

gremlin
17-04-2007, 03:25 PM
to test compression, remove spark plug and refit onto lead and rest it on the barrel (just to ground it ).
then put your finger over the sparkplug hole in the cylinder head and then crank the engine over. there should be a blast of air that pushes your finger away. i know its crude, but if you get a good blast of pressure you can rule out any mechanical failure such as snapped belts etc.
if all is ok put plugs back in.
to check for carb related problems, remove air box lid and pour a capful of petrol onto the airfilter element and refit lid as quickly as possible and try to start the bike. if it fires up breifly you have now narrowed your search and should start looking at a fuel starvation problem, either blocked filter, tank vent, kinked hose, or finally blocked jets in the carb.
if it doesnt fire up, then its almost certaily electrical

dst1
17-04-2007, 04:04 PM
there has to be plenty of fuel in the tank to get it going again.
Had the same problem, not enough juice to get her going.
RAC man took of tank and filter and sprayed easy start into the carbs and away she went..petrol work just as good.
Monsters like lots of fuel..also the fuel lights dont work..dont trust it

tomferreira
18-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. Got her going! Woohoo! :yoparty:
the plugs were sparking but not massively so I changed them out and she fired up first time. Phew! Easy fix.

Thanks again.

Tonio600
18-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry just saw that topic. Was going to say, had the same problem... sparks at the plugs doesn't mean anything, best to always have 2 spare plugs to check.

slob
18-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Sorry just saw that topic. Was going to say, had the same problem... sparks at the plugs doesn't mean anything, best to always have 2 spare plugs to check.

What he said,

Fuel + Air (in the correct mix) + Spark (in the right place) + compression makes the thing run,

Just because you have a visible spark with the plug out doesn't mean that you get a decent spark with 10:1 compression.