PDA

View Full Version : Seat Lowering

kathb
17-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Folks,

Even though I've had Duchess for almost a year now, I'm still nervous when stoping cos I can hardly touch the floor - yes, I'm really that short in the legs!

Anyone got any suggestions about lowering the seat - I don't want to lower the suspension as it'll affect the handling. If it could go down an inch it'd be perfect.

Thanks in anticipation,

Kath

gremlin
17-04-2007, 02:04 PM
this missus is vertically challenged also, i dropped the forks through the yokes, and unwound the rear pre-load and now she can put both feet down. i took it for a blat yesterday and was suprised how will it handled with the rear spring backed off so much.(especially with me and my vodka belly :chuckle: ). it may be worth trying before splashing out on a new seat.
it will feel strange at first if you are a swift rider, but after a while you may get used to its new character:chuckle: :chuckle:
Mr Gremlin

SazzaG
17-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I got my seat scooped out, including having the sides shaved, as making the seat slightly narrower helps. Unfortunately the company that did it aren't in business any more, but I'm sure there are others out there.

It made a big difference as I can now get the balls of both feet down, or one foot totally flat, and as several members here will testify, I'm really quite short....

Also, there are some boots by Daytona with built up soles - not tried them myself, but I know there's a few girlies on here who have them.

Sue
17-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi Kath, I am also vertically challenged (5' 2") and have an M600. I have used the Arch to lower the rear end, have had the preload reduced and have dropped the forks through by 1/4" (about 6mm in new money). Haven't touched the seat foam at all. I was told that as long as you lower both ends the same the handling is OK. Seems fine to me but this is my first Monster. If you've not done this already you could give it a try as it won't cost you anything as long as you have the right spanners and some strong helpers.

DesmoDom
17-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Hiya Kath,
This might be of some use to you, he's really good. He does upholstery, seat sculpting, the lot and he's not that far away from you.

Here's the address, phone numbers etc.
You need to ask for Dave Harding.

Digger Custom Motorcycle Seats
Unit 10
The Workshops
Crawford St
Newport
South Wales
NP19 7AY

www.diggerseats.co.uk
david@harding3505.freeserve.co.uk

Tel No's : 01633 216360 or Mob 07860 504246

Hope this Helps

Baz

kathb
18-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks Baz. I know Newport pretty well - used to work and live not that far from there. I'll give him a call and get some quotes done.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

DesmoDom
18-04-2007, 10:52 AM
No problem, I know what it's like, as I'm not exactly gifted in the long leg department, I've never been able to put both feet flat on the ground with any of my Ducati's, :D :D :D
Hope you get what you want.

Baz

Paivi
18-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I found that changing the standard seat for the gel seat made the difference, so that's another alternative (one that won't affect the resale value). The DP one is about £120 from Ducati dealers.