PDA

View Full Version : Speedo drive noise

Seb_uk
17-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys. This is my first post and am after some advice :) I have a 1995 M600 and have a strange scraping / droning noise coming from the front wheel. My local dealer has looked at the bike & told me that the speedo drive is causing the noise. I'm a bit confused as the speedo still works sok - just have this strange noise! Is the bike safe to ride like this & will it get any worse. Am trying to decide whether I need to get this fixed sooner rather than later! Any andvice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zimbo
17-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd say it's more likely to be wheel bearings, but it could be the drive I suppose. Don't bother with second hand ones off ebay if you need to replace it, they're £23 new from a dealer.

banditloon
17-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

The speedo drive could need a good clean and greasing. Would also be worth while having the speedo cable checked also for any damage and also getting the cable lubed.

Idealy get it sorted ASAP. It's a pain in the backside trying to guesstimate speeds without a speedo (I've had to do it three times on the Bandit & Aprilia).

Seb_uk
17-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for advice. I think I'll get it booked in & get the drive changed before the speedo packs in completely! Think it must be the drive causing the noise as it only kicks in after about 20mph. On the plus side, my tacho seems to have started working for the first time since I've had the bike. Was told that it was beyond repair, but it seems to suddenly be ok. Gotta love them mid nineties ducati electrics! :)

banditloon
17-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for advice. I think I'll get it booked in & get the drive changed before the speedo packs in completely! Think it must be the drive causing the noise as it only kicks in after about 20mph. On the plus side, my tacho seems to have started working for the first time since I've had the bike. Was told that it was beyond repair, but it seems to suddenly be ok. Gotta love them mid nineties ducati electrics! :)

Don't worry. My 1993 Monster is fine in the electrics department. The only problem it has is the rider.... :chuckle: