PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely Gutted

Humbucker
14-04-2007, 04:17 PM
So it's taken only months after getting by bike to meet some idiot on the roads. After a great day at my parents and lovely BBQ lunch i head for home. Two miles into the journey and some young kid in an XR2 or simular comes flying towards me and decides to turn right going across me. I brake but being in a country lane i hit gravel and i'm down, Bike is in the grass verge and i'm rolling down the road. To top it off the kid didnt evenstop, probably completely unaware of the accident he has caused behind him.

So i get up praying for not too much damage and manage to pick the bike up and onto its stand. Bars- well and truly bent, Tank- scratched and chipped and somehow off centre, right can scratched, Foot brake lever and hand lever - bent, mirror smashed, and it runs like a piece of s41t.

If i had been going like a mad man then i have no one ot blame but myself but i wasn't and you can tell that as only my right knee in my leathers has an marks.

So now it's the start of a great summer, i'm only 3dr party fire and theft, know very little about bikes in order to do the work for myself and will have to save in order to get it back on the road in order to add to its pityful 900 miles.

i also cant tell my wife or the parents who will begin with i told you so and get rid of it.

Gadget
14-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Was it your bike I saw yesterday, in RossoCorse's, having new Marvins fitted?
It looked lovely.
I don't know how to say I feel really pis sed for you.
I was knocked off 3 weeks ago. The chap has been a complete gentleman about it. The work is being done by RC at the moment.

Bodybag
14-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Gutted. I'm sure there are people on here with spares you'll be able to have. As for the tank being chipped etc. its not a huge amount of money to get them resprayed. Give John Paterson a ring on 07760481247. He has several monsters and is a true professional. Have a look at the Performance Bikes Yamaha R6 that was done a few months ago for how well they rated his work.

Humbucker
14-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Was it your bike I saw yesterday, in RossoCorse's, having new Marvins fitted?
It looked lovely.
I don't know how to say I feel really pis sed for you.
I was knocked off 3 weeks ago. The chap has been a complete gentleman about it. The work is being done by RC at the moment.

Cheers Gadget, That was JP's bike, mines identical....or should i say was identical.

J.P
14-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Gadjet that was my bike at Rosso Corse with the Marving's being fitted.

Humbucker, so sorry you've had a fall, but glad you're in one piece.

Humbucker
14-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks bodybag, i was actually in your neck of the woods when in happened as my parents are on Mersea, happened just a mile before the bridge coming from the east side of the island

Panther
14-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I feel gutted for you too, Good luck with getting it sorted out.

You could try and find out if the damaged parts are compatible with other monster.
Then you might be able to get the bits of ebay on the cheap.

Sorry I cant help more.

Headhunter
14-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Humbucker,

Am really sorry to hear this mate. How annoying and especially after only 900miles and, more importantly, it not being your fault.

I really feel for ya mate. As the others say there will be someone along soon to provide spare parts.

Glad to hear it wasn't more serious and hope you are back up and runnin' soon.

Bodybag
14-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks bodybag, i was actually in your neck of the woods when in happened as my parents are on Mersea, happened just a mile before the bridge coming from the east side of the island

I was down there today on the 748. Stopped at the Oyster Bar (Not the Blue Oyster Bar!!) for a drink then went back through Peldon, Abberton et al. to Parkinsons as its rude not to on a sunny Saturday. Once you're up and running again, give me a shout if you're down this way and fancy a ride out.

Phil

Humbucker
14-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I was down there today on the 748. Stopped at the Oyster Bar (Not the Blue Oyster Bar!!) for a drink then went back through Peldon, Abberton et al. to Parkinsons as its rude not to on a sunny Saturday. Once you're up and running again, give me a shout if you're down this way and fancy a ride out.

Phil

Cheers Phil will do that. Been having another look at the bike and i'm amazed the frame and engine casings dont have a mark on them, so it just looks like a bit of cosmetic damage, mightbe brave enough to have a go myself with manual in hand if i can get parts sorted so hopefully wont be too long

Thanks again

Lewis

Bodybag
14-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Cheers Phil will do that. Been having another look at the bike and i'm amazed the frame and engine casings dont have a mark on them, so it just looks like a bit of cosmetic damage, mightbe brave enough to have a go myself with manual in hand if i can get parts sorted so hopefully wont be too long

Thanks again

Lewis

Give Martin at Parkinsons Colchester a ring on 01206 368500 cos you might be surprised at how cheap some of the parts are to replace. Levers etc. shouldn't be much and possibly not much for a mirror either. That'll be when the Ducati Performance catalogue needs to be hidden off the counter though!! :D

Chaos
14-04-2007, 06:22 PM
same happened to me in feb got knocked off by a twat who took off without a 2nd glance!!!!! bent bars broken indicator brake lever and rear brake lever dented tank and chiped paint ooo bums my custom paint job ruined!!! had to ride her home wiv NO BRAKES!!!! was interesting tk god for v twin engine braking :chuckle: needless to say the bars ect were cheap enuff to sort but....alas the paint was not...... and will have to live with the scruffed exhaust til i can afford to replace it!!!!!! but she's all looking pretty now thank god for credit :chuckle: am sure u willl get her sorted soon enuff x

Paivi
14-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Tough luck, mate. Almost criminal, infact, on a new bike! Glad you're OK, though, the bike's easier to put back together.

For the 695, mirrors are about £35, new handlebars about £60, new levers £17 each. Tank, you were lucky not to puncture it, as it's £1,000 to replace and usually cannot be repaired, being plastic; repaint about £200. These are genuine Ducati parts, though. Might be cheaper to get a cheap flight to Italy or France, as parts are less than half price there.

Parky's are probably your best bet for reasonably priced parts and labour.

While you're there, get R&G crash bungs for £70, to save the tank and bar ends £25 to save the mirrors and levers. I've thrown my bike down the road a couple of times and since I've had the above, the little bits have been OK, nothing stops the handlebars from bending, though.

Sqwifeve
14-04-2007, 08:37 PM
The main thing is, Lewis, that you're okay, although it probably doesn't feel that way. At least I'm assuming this from your post? You might want to get checked out if you've been rolling down the road. Injuries don't always seem obvious at the time.

I expect your wife at least, will notice if you're not riding your bike and so you'll have to come clean at some point.

Bikes are risky. There are always pillocks out there, and you can only do what you can to minimise the risks to your bike and you. Some of that is about things like crash bungs, some about thinking and planning ahead by extra training.

I hope you get the bike fixed without too much expense, and grief from your family.

gremlin
14-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Got new lever for mine from Moto Rapido for £11 bars aren't that expensive, I'd offer my spare cans but they probably are in worse condition than yours being off an N reg! They aren't scuffed but are dull. Glad you're ok though, shakes you up a bit too, as well as making you want to cry!!

zxebeast
14-04-2007, 09:08 PM
hey humbucker. first of all glad that you say you re ok. as sqwifeve says there ll always be pillocks out there. so trust nobody except yourself and know your limits. i know something like that isnt the most pleasant experience but sometimes its the best thing to make you more aware and a bit safer, even in this case where it was somebody elses fault. as riders we should always be learnin to become more competent. even the most experienced riders have major crashes, which goes to show that we are never safe and will never be. when we decide to ride a bike we accept those risks, otherwise we are foolin ourselves.

bikes are replaceable, your body probably isnt so be happy your still in one piece.

hope to see you back on the road soon

benson
14-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I've got lolly pop mirrors in the shed and I'm not too far away from you (east London) I'll have a look in the shed too because there might be a few other bits in there. Just glad you're in one piece - these sh1tty things happen and it's just got to be taken in the stride of biking - it's such a gut wrenching feeling when you see your prode and joy in the road - but you're OK and your bike will be - there are a lot of really helpful folk on here who will pull out the stops to get you back on the road again...

squiffything
15-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Humbucker and Chaos I have a set of standard cans from a 620ie sitting in a garage gathering dust if they fit and you want them then give me a shout they are like new as the guy who had my bike before me fitted the high levels pretty much straight after he bought it. You will have to come and collect but it might do the job

Chaos
15-04-2007, 07:30 AM
:chuckle: Humbucker and Chaos I have a set of standard cans from a 620ie sitting in a garage gathering dust if they fit and you want them then give me a shout they are like new as the guy who had my bike before me fitted the high levels pretty much straight after he bought it. You will have to come and collect but it might do the job

What a nice lot you are, not that i want to tempt fate but.....u might do better to hold on to them coz u might need them one day!!!! OOO bury st edmonds used to have a friend up that way, seem to remember some nice twisty roads on my old ikkle monster to get there:chuckle: tis a very kind offer but being an independant (some would argue stoopid) kind a woman i cudnt possibly accept!!!!! but a big fank u x all the same besides tis my penance to throw lots of cash i dont have at me old beastie :chuckle:

squiffything
16-04-2007, 08:38 AM
:chuckle:

What a nice lot you are, not that i want to tempt fate but.....u might do better to hold on to them coz u might need them one day!!!! OOO bury st edmonds used to have a friend up that way, seem to remember some nice twisty roads on my old ikkle monster to get there:chuckle: tis a very kind offer but being an independant (some would argue stoopid) kind a woman i cudnt possibly accept!!!!! but a big fank u x all the same besides tis my penance to throw lots of cash i dont have at me old beastie :chuckle:

No problemo Chaos good to see you yesterday. Hum they're there for you if you could use em to keep that shiny newness looking new. Just shout buddy.

Stuart42
16-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi Lewis

sorry to hear of your spill.

I've got a set of bars off a M750, not sure if they're original fitment as they suit the shorter person, as I was told. Yours if they're any use?
Cheers
Stuart

Shandy
16-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Absolute bummer mate, hope you get it sorted soon.

Humbucker
16-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Just a quick a note to thank everyone for their posts and offers of bits and bobs. To those that have offered parts i will check fittings to see if compatible and will PM you. Thanks a lot

Saturday night i was so p155ed off and was in a right foul mood, it wont be the same again, it wont ride the same, i'll fix it then sell it etc etc

But today i do actually feel a bit more positive about getting it fixed and realise that in biking these things happen, i'll replace all the broken bits and it will indeed be like new again and this does't have to be the end of my bike. Although new cans and the respray on the tank may have to wait

I have got the biggest bruise on my shoulder a bruise on my back where the disc lock hit me that was in my back pack and both my hands and knee and ankle are swollen. The leathers were worth every penny i cannot imagine what might have been had i not had them on with all the armour etc

But a big thanks to all again, ill be in touch with regards to parts

cheers be safe

Lewis

Paivi
16-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I have got the biggest bruise on my shoulder a bruise on my back where the disc lock hit me that was in my back pack and both my hands and knee and ankle are swollen.
Hope you've been to get all those checked up. I broke a rib on Good Friday when I had a practically zero speed off, just landed awkwardly. It could easily be worse with you. That's why I never ride with a backpack, mine is under the cargo net on the pillion seat.

gremlin
16-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Non bikers say a bike is only metal but they are so wrong. S/he will soon be up and running. At least you are fine if a little battered. Take care keep positive.

Humbucker
16-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Hope you've been to get all those checked up. I broke a rib on Good Friday when I had a practically zero speed off, just landed awkwardly. It could easily be worse with you. That's why I never ride with a backpack, mine is under the cargo net on the pillion seat.

Hope you on the mend soon,

Back Pack will be binned:banghead:

Paivi
16-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Hope you on the mend soon,

Back Pack will be binned:banghead:
Unfortunately, complete recovery will take up to six months, but will be back on the bike by the weekend.

Instead of binning the back pack, get a £5 cargo net from Infinity. For the rainy days, I've got the Hump (http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=180), i,e,. reflective waterproof backpack cover which I put on top - absolutely brilliant: kept my backpack gear dry in the worst downpour in history. Sure, some people say it's 'ghey', but it keeps my stuff secure and dry. Most pushbike shops have them, but you'll need to make sure it's the waterproof version.

scrumpster
16-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Humbucker - lots of good people on here. Hope you are feeling less sore soon, and you get back on the road shortly!!