PDA

View Full Version : Chain tension adjusting problem

Sue
13-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Please can someone tell me how to undo the nuts on the rear wheel spindle without allowing the large plate to turn as well (bending the bits which go underneath the swingarm and scratching the paint...aaarrrrgh!!!).
Have got the chain tension right now but I can see that the same thing will happen next time. Anyone know which paint is a good match for the silver gray on the swingarm?

bod
13-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Sorry but think it's one of those things,never managed to adjust the chain on mine without the L shaped bracket moving.

slob
14-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Plates bending sound scary.
Try silver smoothrite.

stirrup
14-04-2007, 07:39 AM
What torque do you use on the axle nuts? I was told by my Duke dealer to use copper grease on the axle threads, should think that reduces the grip between the nut and plate for a given torque. Have seen the plate move on my 695 when tightening/loosening but only a bit.

Kato
14-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Please can someone tell me how to undo the nuts on the rear wheel spindle without allowing the large plate to turn as well (bending the bits which go underneath the swingarm and scratching the paint...aaarrrrgh!!!).
Have got the chain tension right now but I can see that the same thing will happen next time. Anyone know which paint is a good match for the silver gray on the swingarm?

Easy to stop just buy some of these, improves the look as well

http://www.corsair-industries.com/html/axle_adjustor.html

Sue
14-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the replies - certainly was not good seeing those plates rotate onto the pristine finish on the swingarm especially at it was the first time I've had to adjust this since getting the bike. It would seem that this is not uncommon though, because I have spoken to someone this morning with an ST2 who says that the plates always move a bit and can do what mine have done especially if they were overtightened in the first place. Moral here is to use Torque wrench set as per manual. Will have a look at the colour match from Smoothrite (Silver wheel spray is a touch too dark). Those billet things look great though - will have to start saving up.

jerry
14-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Yep I got corsair plates for the M750 and Desmo Times plates for the S4 much better than standard and problem solved.