PDA

View Full Version : monster dyno!

knifebloke
13-04-2007, 08:58 AM
hi folks took the old 900m for a dyno yesterday! i had put micron carbon fibre style cans on the ol'gal last month & thought a dyno would be in order! plus i had a bmc racing air filter to be fitted. now my monster is a 1999 with only 11000 on the clock & full main dealer service history! (last full monty at 10000) so i thought there would not be much wrong with it apart from using a bit of petrol & being a bit of a pig in town center traffic? WRONG!!!.:dunce: i took the bike to a lovely chap called chris adams who is the man at road+track dyno in aylesbury bucks. phone 01296424248. he put it on the dyno & said the top end performance is not far off but the mid range and low end was tragic! as was the throttle response plus it was running so rich it was off the scale!.:thumbsdown: 3 hours later yes 3 hours! all was well. he had taken the carbs off & rejetted them plus other stuff in the carbs that was beyond me! fitted the bmc filter & reworked the air box! for those of you who have taken the air box & carbs off you will be well aware of what a major nightmare job this is? not for the feint hearted! lol and for those of you who have never seen a dyno done its a real eye opener to see a monster heaving about on a rolling road doing 120mph! anyway the result was 3 hours work at £188 (theres a cheaper option at £117) & a brand new bike? well thats what it seemed like riding home! it now runs as sweet as a nut! better than when it came out of the factory! the throttle response is instant & smooth with no juddering about like a manic vibrator on heat when riding stop start in town center traffic! the mid range torque is awesome! with so much mind numbing neck snapping power coming in you are unable to see properly if you have your visor up a tad!.:chuckle: top end just seems to keep on going & going & going! & the roar from the (now) freeflowing airbox is awesome! sounding like a bull elephant on the short strokes!.:chuckle: plus the petrol consumption has improved big time! so much so that this dyno test will pay for itself whithin a couple of months.. you dont realise how crap your bike is until you get a dyno set up done! it was worth every penny! & chris is a perfectionist who does not do bull****.. so if your in the beds & bucks area? give him a ring you wont regret it..
oh yes i got 67.66 bhp & 57.63 of max torque
ps just bought a new toy off the bay last night. see avatar picture above..:p

eonan
13-04-2007, 09:53 AM
That's great...must have been an amazing feeling riding home :D

Where were they measuring the hp from? 67 seems a little low for a 900 no...or was that the 'before' figure? I was getting 68.2 from the 750, and before I started work on the 900 (when it was completely stock) it was giving out 78.2

Cool new toy btw :cool: