PDA

View Full Version : Battery on the way out?

nambduke
12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Had my M1000ie hooked up over the winter on the old optimate - thought....did we have one?? - to now notice it is showing 'weak' status.

What's the consensus....is the battery on the way out or has anyone else seen this phenomenon??

PS - proof in the pudding will be when I try to start her up this evening for the first ride out of the year!! How much is a new battery?? What's the best type to get? Comments welcomed!!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

nambduke
12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
:nash: :nash:

Battery appears knacked....bike just lights up and clicks when the starter engages, but zip anything else. What checks can I do to confirm if it is truly goosed? I've removed the battery from the bike thinking I have an earth leakage issue, but I'm not holding out much hope. Anyway, it's now on optimate charge again to see if being isolated helps?

Any thoughts on the best place to get a get a battery quickly!!! I need my monster fix!!!!!!!!:booze: :booze: It's like a drug....I want to ride it....NOW!!!

But, to add insult to injury.....young Richard Nambduke put his key into the vfr800 and it started on the first turn!!:nash: :nash: :nash: :nash: Jap crap!!

Drained...
Mark Nambduke

nambduke
17-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Outcome was.....

Diagnosed knackered battery in the end. Wasn't holding its charge (just 3years old and optimated when laid up).

Anyway, had a quick look on the interweb thingy and found MDS Batteries. Varta Battery YT12B-BS (Yuasa equivalent) for £46 delivered. There is a trick to this though.....I didn't get it from their main site, I bought it through their EBay shop because it was £5 cheaper at the buy it now price. Delivery was next working day. Apparently, Varta are made in the same factory as Yuasa (??) using the same spec materials......only retail cheaper.....

Well, got my monster fix :booze: :booze: this evening.....yippee!!!!!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

madhatter
07-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Outcome was.....

Diagnosed knackered battery in the end...... Anyway, had a quick look on the interweb thingy and found MDS Batteries. Varta Battery YT12B-BS (Yuasa equivalent) for £46 delivered. There is a trick to this though.....I didn't get it from their main site, I bought it through their EBay shop because it was £5 cheaper at the buy it now price. Delivery was next working day. Apparently, Varta are made in the same factory as Yuasa (??) using the same spec materials......only retail cheaper.....Mark Nambduke

Hi Mark,

I need a new battery for my S4, it looks like a YT12B-4, which is also Varta. How is your battery holding up? Are you happy with it and should I exchange hard-earned Beer tokens for one? Please let me know a.s.a.p Mate.

STEVE.

nambduke
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi Mark,

I need a new battery for my S4, it looks like a YT12B-4, which is also Varta. How is your battery holding up? Are you happy with it and should I exchange hard-earned Beer tokens for one? Please let me know a.s.a.p Mate.

STEVE.

Seems to be OK Steve. To be truthful, I haven't used the bike much this year with work, overseas and family stuff!! It's been hooked onto the optimate and last time it fired up no problem. I've always found the battery must be right on the limit of it's performance as it fires up but just turns the engine over enough to start if you get my drift!

The Varta is cheaper though and supposedly the same battery??!!

But to exchange beer tokens..........that's your choice......I've only ever managed to dump off my monny once down a steep hill.....

:-)
Mark Nambduke

spm23
07-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I always leave my bike plugged into the optimate during the week when I'm not riding. Some times when I plug it in, it will say charge and after a while it will show a green light (what you would expect). Other times it will stay on "weak" status, and others it will say desulfate. In all cases the battery seems fine and the bike starts without any issue from the battery. Makes me wonder about the "brains" inside the optimate.

Nickj
07-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Got one, works a treat and it does look exactly the same as the Yuasa.