PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy Motor

S4 MAD
10-04-2007, 09:00 AM
hello just wondering if anyone with an s4 has sufferd these problems,
once my bike is nice and warmed up after good run around it seems to run very ruff on tick over or lumpy as i think describes it better , when coming up to traffic lights or any situation where you have to clutch in and stop i stalls some times even when bikes still movingat slow speeds which is awkward in traffic at times.
this only seems to happen when the bike is quite warm.
even with tick over slightly adjusted it still is very ruff and still stalls.:hissy:
any ideas

Albie
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Ita normal to be honest.Its just getting used to it.Just giving it that extra at lights and feeding clutch smoothly is only thing you can do. I have bad days when tired when keep stalling and others when it feels smooth and Im in control of it. Maybe swap the front sprocket for a 14 tooth instead of 15 will make it easier around town with more acceleration too.
I find roundabouts the hardest but only if theres cars up my backside as the right gear can be important. First is too high revvy and second is lumpy. I have a 14 to put on asap so will post results when I do.
Andy

Bodybag
10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I had two problems that caused this to happen on my S4. First was the regulator/rectifier. I replaced it and that helped, then the front coil, due to water ingress over a period of time, split like a sausage on a bbq. Both are easy to check. The coil is built into the spark plug cap and on the front one is right behind the wheel, hence the water ingress. Its a few inches long so you'll need to turn the wheel (or better still get the front wheel off to get better access to it if possible). The reg/rec is under the seat and is a metal box with cooling fins and about a dozen(ish) wires coming out of it. When I took my reg/rec off to check it, the silicon sealant on the bottom had split (presumably through over heating) which indicated a problem.

Easy to check both of these visually without having to take it anywhere.

Give those a go first.

S4 MAD
10-04-2007, 02:30 PM
cheers will be doing a close inspection of my 2 wheeled freind tonight.:thumbsup:

Scotty
10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
you can just have the fast idel leaver on a bit as a imediate fix (its wrong in my head but its ok)

jerry
11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
TPS TPS TPS I have said this before it must be spot on if u want clean running at low revs on a S4.