PDA

View Full Version : S2R adjustable rear shock advice please?

damon
09-04-2007, 07:37 PM
today i rode a M750 Dark that my mates going to buy (before he's passed his test that is) and i must say that i thought it seemed a harder slightly more stiff yet stable ride than my S2R.

Now i havnt messed about with any settings of suspension since getting my bike as the guy at Aylesbury suggested i try it out before making any decisions (as if he couldnt be arsed quite frankly) and who am i to mess with Ducati's settings as standard from the factory.

However i do actually think it wobbles a tad every so often and isnt quite as hard/firm as i would like it to be.

Perhaps Ducati's 'STANDARD' set-up is based on an average sized man, possibly even an average sized italian man (who tend to be smaller), me however im 6ft 3, rather broad shouldered and constantly reminded by my mates built like a brick sh#t house so i am now sceptical as to whether my suspension settings are correct for my weight/build/height etc etc

Obviously thats the whole point of being able to adjust the preload isnt it? im no mechanic or anything remotely like one but surely if a man who weighs in at say 10 stone can get on my bike as standard and its set up perfectly for him how the hell can it be set up perfectly for me when im weighing in at roughly 14.5 - 15 stone and about 5-6 inch taller than the 'average man'?

any ideas and can i do this myself?

cheers

Lowsider
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
most of the guys who work in Ducati Dealers don't have the first clue about suspension setup.

I took mine to DPS in Keighley and he set them up for me. He had previously rebuilt the rear shock using an uprated spring and valve s to my weight.

What a differance.

Zimbo
09-04-2007, 08:36 PM
As a rough guide, you want to set the preload so the rear of the bike (directly above the rear axle) sags by about 28mm from it's fully unloaded (back wheel off the floor) state, with the rider sat on the bike with all his / her weight on the seat in the normal riding position.
Every monster I've set up has been set too soft on the preload from standard.

damon
09-04-2007, 09:03 PM
so would you suggest putting it on my paddock stand to measure the back wheel sag?

crust
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
If you're outside of the weight window for your spring no amount of fiddling is going to get your suspension working properly.

Have a read of this article, its about the superbike Ducatis but explains set up very well. Have a look at the rear spring chart, it gives you an idea of the standard set up weight and the required springs for increasing weights.

If I was you I'd nip over to these people and have a long chat with them

http://www.k-tech.uk.com/index.php

I had my forks revalved, respringed and my rear set for my weight and it was the best performance investment I've spent on the bike.

:)Crust

Zimbo
09-04-2007, 10:05 PM
so would you suggest putting it on my paddock stand to measure the back wheel sag?

No, I'd suggest getting a mate with a tape measure, and a wall.
Start by placing bike on sidestand, then pull it over so bike is sitting on front wheel and sidestand, rear wheel clear of floor. Mate measures between rear spindle and a fixed point on the bike above it (indicator perhaps?) and notes measurement.
Now sit on bike, alongside wall, place feet on pegs and support yourself with one hand on wall. Mate takes loaded measurement.
Adjust and repeat untill difference is 28mm.

steve wright
09-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Puttting it on a paddock stand won't work. You need to fully extend the shock to get the first measurement, on a stand the bikes weight is still compressing the shock so no good.
Get a mate round, tilt the bike on its side stand so the rear tyre just comes up off the ground and hence the shock fully extends, then your mate can make the first measurement like zimbo said.

S4Rs-Tone
20-04-2007, 07:25 AM
further on from previous discussions regarding sussy set up , i weigh approx 14 stone, for the next few weeks i will be going twos up with another 13 ish stone bloke, ( but keeping the weekends for self gratification) if i leave the sus set up as it is will i be risking life and limb and if i alter to try and accomadate 2 will this cause me probs on the weekend going solo. ps. dont tell the wife about the other man!!!!!!:look:

Martin C
20-04-2007, 09:50 AM
If I was you I'd nip over to these people and have a long chat with them

http://www.k-tech.uk.com/index.php

I had my forks revalved, respringed and my rear set for my weight and it was the best performance investment I've spent on the bike.

:)Crust[/QUOTE]

I live near K-Tech and have just spoken to them: they tell me they can supply/do nothing at all for my Monster's rear suspension except sell me a new Ohlins unit (which they won't fit but will help me to adjust after I fit it myself).

katana
20-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Go to MC technics and speak to darren.

Job jobbed

S4Rs-Tone
22-04-2007, 05:41 PM
i checked the preload and its currently 45mm so tried to adjust it to the recommended 28mm . but the manual says i need a pin wrench , tried with an old chisel and hammer it wont budge , any advice please! can you buy a pin wrench if so where can i get one from .

S4Rs-Tone
23-04-2007, 05:34 PM
i checked the preload and its currently 45mm so tried to adjust it to the recommended 28mm . but the manual says i need a pin wrench , tried with an old chisel and hammer it wont budge , any advice please! can you buy a pin wrench if so where can i get one from .