PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Strapping Bike Down on Ferry

Jason
08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Taking the Monster on our first trip abroad to France in June to see my Mum & Dad who've emergrated there.

I've never taken a bike on a ferry before, but have bought three heavy duty ratchet straps as from what I've read you can't guarantee the knowledge or efficiency of the crews with some companies (I'm going Portsmouth to Le Harvre on the way out and Dunderque to Dover with Norfolkline on the way back).

Trouble is I've no idea of the best places to attache them to the bike/ferry if I'm left to 'get on with it'! I guess the forks and grab handles make good anchorages but any advice from those more experienced with such things would be gratefully received with open arms!:hail:

Headhunter
08-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Had the same issue last year. Here's a link to the thread.

Good luck and have fun.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19481

Jason
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Many thanks for that Headhunter, I have already found that thread and although it was useful it doesn't actually say 'where' you should attach the straps to on the bike.

How did you do secure your pride & joy last year?

Also, has anyone any experience of LD Lines? I've heard good reports of Norfolkline that I'm taking on the way back but nothing on LD.

Headhunter
08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Aghhh.

I strapped one straight across the saddle - then one on each side of the bike's frame. Hook the tie downs to a corner section of the frame, so the tie down can not move in either direction. I did mine just below and to the left of the throttle cable.

I also used a short tie down from the ferry's collection to stop the side stand from flicking up too.

Also when strapping across the saddle, I would recommend using some old carpet or something similar to prevent a huge rivet forming for about 3 days.

Shandy
08-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Blimey reading this is making me paranoid about taking mine over the channel this year :on: :on:

I might just take 20 or 30 metres of bubble wrap with me and encase the whole bike :p

Headhunter
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Nah. Don't worry about that. Just take it to bits and then put it back together on the other side. Bet you could do it with your eyes closed now. :chuckle:

banditloon
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Forgot about this... I'm off to the Isle of Wight sometime in the summer :thumbsup: Off to buy some straps then

Jason
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Cheers Headhunter that's great, thanks for the advice :)

Matt Black
08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Forgot about this... I'm off to the Isle of Wight sometime in the summer :thumbsup: Off to buy some straps then

Just done thw Island trip - don't sweat it, they supply chocks for the wheels and thats fine for this short crossing. Bang it in gear , chock the wheels and go get yourself a cup o' tea.

smiler996
09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Take a bungie strap - conect one end to the side stand and the other to the front disk, this will stop the side stand moving during the crossing. The deck hands are very good at strapping your bike down (but not fussy about your paint work - so take some bubble rap or rags).

JMo
09-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't bother (or risk) a strap across the seat - it's unlikely to hold the bike upright in rough weather anyway, unless it is so tight it damages the seat - and likewise it is not really a good idea to lash a bike that is supported by the sidestand, especially with rachet straps, as this can damage/bend the stand/bolt... basically what you need to do is lash the bike equally from both sides, so that the tension in each supports the other.

Therefore all you need to do is what most people do when lashing a bike to a trailer - using two straps with a hook on each end, one from each side of the bars - hooked round the bar near to the top of the yokes/bar clamps (not the grips) - then hook the other end into a lashing eye on the deck of the ferry - tension up equally and the bike will sit upright and supported. Obviously the wider the spacing of the lashing eyes, the better triangulation (and thus support) you will get.

It really is all you need (we did this on the Ferry to Morocco), but for belt and braces, you could run a second pair of straps from the frame (near the footrests is a good place) backwards to another set of lashing eyes - thus stopping the machine moving backwards and forwards due to the motion of the boat - leaving in gear (as some has suggested above) can also help minimise this...

xxx

Bodybag
09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I did a choppy crossing to Ireland last year. One strap straight over the seat with my gloves as protection. Bike was on the sidestand. I didn't put it in gear as with a chock under the wheels the bike should be able to roll up and down it if need be, not skid with it (I learnt this from my dad who was on Ark Royal when they lost a Buccaneer over the side for the very same reason. Brakes on when they shouldn't be!!).

One strap should be more than sufficient unless its blowing a right old gale then maybe one either side instead. Speak to the loadmaster when you get to the ferry.

Jason
10-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Lots of useful info guys - keep the opinions coming!

Cheers,

Jas.

slob
10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I might just take 20 or 30 metres of bubble wrap with me and encase the whole bike

Works for me...

http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/data/500/wrapped.JPG

MrsJel
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
We've not had any probs and we've been on some pretty choppy crossings on the HSS to Hoek. As others have said, strap from your bars to either side, leave in gear so it won't roll forward by accident.

But, having seen the results of a bike falling over and damaging a bike next to it, I always take a good look at the bikes either side and big nosedly offer advice if it doesn't look secure.

The ferry operators will usually re-tie if they don't think what you've done is good enough.

Enjoy your trip, the first time is always the worst with these things.

Carole

sadbiker
10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Last time I used Brittany Ferries we were not impressed, After years of seeing P&O improve to a point where we were fairly happy with the sailors strapping the bikes down then P & O pulled the plug.

With Brittany we felt 2nd class, the crew men didn't have a clue, on one trip they wanted to tie my mates bike against its side stand point the wrong way on a ramp causing the front wheel to lift... Well he made his opinion known (x yorkshire miner) and on last trip back Our bikes were made to go into a side room on the car deck with no where to tie down properly, Thankfully it was a calm crossing. I did the train after that.

The best thing is take some straps with you. Brittany only had rope on the last boat (again P&O had straps and cushions on hand in the last few years), I have never had a issue strapping over the seat with gloves or towel under to protect seat, leave in gear once its settled and some people tie up the brake lever as well, to be honest unless its a heavy crossing, the car decks are quite low in the boat and tend to be fairly ok.

JUST MAKE SURE YOUR HAPPY.