PDA

View Full Version : Lowered headlight and fairing

Dave G
07-04-2007, 08:21 AM
The experiment with the altered U bracket has paid off.I had intended to make a one off light unit but dont seem to get the time so a lowered OE arrangement seemed possible in my limited free time.
I also like the more aggressive look it gives and matches the clip on set up nicely.
Its a bit more involved than the other way I've seen to lower the headlight but it means you can keep the fairing as the mount moves by the same distance,it also allowed me to drop the clocks under the top yoke. It fits in more with the clip ons too.
I cut through the welds holding the bracket to the u frame and slid them down a bit to where I though was an OK position,( I used the steel sensor mount as a guide and to hold things in place while I positioned them) I then had them re-alloy welded locally,didn't have to be too neat as its not seen, the U frame itself was cut shorter by the width of the clocks,all the fittings then go straight back on normally.
I had to use machine screws to secure the clocks as I couldn't find hex bolts or allen bolts long and narrow enough, these screw through the top yoke,then a plumbers washer between yolk and clocks means you wont have to trim the clocks plastic to get it flush with the bottom side of the yoke, a bit of tubing around the screw also helped secure the clocks by filling the gap between screw and the hole for the original mount.
At this point I refitted the steel sensor frame up underneath the clocks but I really should have found another way to install the sensor as it would free up space a bit. Then I refitted the nylon plugs and secured them against the clocks/sensor frame with small nyloc nut.
The shortened U frame will slip over this nut and be secured by the original nylon plugs and be attached normally at the bottom.
The biggest problems are accomodating the hoses and wires as the space behind the light is very tight, I might do a few small adjustment to free up some space but it all seems to work in the meantime.:idea:

I tried to attach pictures but I gave up as I just cant get them below 55kb's, theres a couple on here
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=6

slob
07-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Very tidy Dave.