PDA

View Full Version : Now no laughing please

Sqwifeve
06-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I've never had a bike with an alarm and immobiliser before. I read the datatool leaflet and couldn't remember which beeps where for what! The bloody thing is peeping all the time. When you stop and try to move the bike around ( like to out it in the garage, it's going off and you have to keep pressing it to stop the alarm going off. And when you're riding, what do you do with the button thing? If you put it inside your jacket, it gets pressed and goes on and off. If you leave it hanging outside, it's blowing around. The other half just laughed at me, saying I didn't understand it 'cos "it's a gadget". Cheek, but he might be right, I'm not too good with these things, but I can learn. :dunce:

andy803
06-04-2007, 11:48 PM

Gim
07-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Dont know if its the same as mine, but the round button turns the alarm on and off and the long button puts it into maintenence for moving it around. If you think thats complicated you should try a harley.... i never did work that one out !:scratch: As for the thingy itself i leave mine with the key and tuck it down the front of tank
Rob

Bodybag
07-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Mine on the 748 has a button that turns on the hazard lights. I didn't know Ducati's even had hazard lights but apparently the alarm is configured for it. Its amazing the number of times I pass people then get flashed and warned that my hazards are flashing. Difficult to put the fob anywhere other than on a fob round my neck cos my leathers only have one pocket in and thats for phone and money!!

Paivi
07-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Two beeps and the bike is alarmed, one beep and the alarm is turned off. If you want the bike in ferry mode, so you can tinker on it, do the normal two beeps, then one from the other button.

Sqwifeve
14-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Took the 695 out to put my 400 away and it started beeping. I didn't manage to turn it off quickly enough and the alarm started going off. Could I turn it off...... Could I hell. It was going for ages and in the end we took the seat off before it stopped. I was trying to read the datatool system 3 leaflet while being deafened. I still don't understand how you are supposed to turn the bloody thing off ! :dunce:

scrumpster
14-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Have the buttons got shapes. The right hand one pressed once should turn it off. It should be hard to press so being in your coat shouldn't set it off, but i think mine was an older version :S While it is off press the round one (right) and it should go into service mode. You can do what you want to it then. When the alarm light is flashing and active press left button and it should go into the movement sensor mode - make sense??

Sqwifeve
15-04-2007, 08:08 PM
The right hand one is round, the left oval, but pressing the right hand one only stopped the noise temporarily. I'm not sure if we stopped it bu taking the seat off and covering the speaker, or getting it into service mode? Anyway, now it won't turn back on. :scratch:

spm23
16-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Data tool alarms are configured to automatically arm 30 seconds after ignition off.
Circle button is used to arm and disarm
Oval button for disable motion sensor when bike armed
Both together for 3 seconds - hazzard lights
And many more combinations

If you dont have the user manual, you can download a copy (PDF) from the website, support section

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/support/

gary tompkins
16-04-2007, 07:34 AM
I have an older datatool veto on the trike. Only has 2 buttons and an led on the key fob and they are sealed (membrane type) rather than sticky out buttons. One marked with a circle arms/disarms (2 chirps armed & 1 chirp disarm) but the one marked as a triangle (held down fro 5 secs) re-scans the alarm frequency. to put mine in maintainance I turn the ignition on, and then hold down the arm button until it chirps once. When ignition is switched off alarm chirps every 15 secs to remind you it's disabled, and you can cancel it by pressing arm button again.

I gaffa tape over the speaker when working on it, as the chirp is too loud and annoying when in maintanance setting. Also the key fob gets trapped between tank & top yoke on full lock - so looking a bit trashed now.

Paivi
16-04-2007, 08:26 AM
OK, your bike is brand spanking new so why did they install the notoriously sensitive Datatool 3 instead of the much more reliable Datatool 4?

The only way to move the bike without the ignition being on is for it to be in the ferry/service mode. Press the grey/circle button twice (you'll hear two sharp beeps), then the black/oval button once (you'll hear one longer, deeper beep). Now you should be able to do pretty well anything to the bike without it going off.

When you turn the ignition off, the bike will arm itself within 30 sec unless you do the above.

Pressing the grey/circle button only, you'll just disarm it but the motion sensor will not have been turned off, and this is why the bike starts to make all kinds of noises.

You can change the sensitivity of the alarm, too but for that you'll need to read the instructions or get the installer to look at it, or better still, replace it with the System 4.

Sqwifeve
17-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all your kind words/downloads. I'll try again. And Paivi, my bike was not brand spanking new, just "as new" with only a very few miles on the clock, so second hand.

Melnie Mouse
17-04-2007, 07:52 AM
as long as the alarm is 'set' ie. beeped after the 30 secs of ignition on, just press the larger oval button out of the two, and it will beep long and once. then you can move it around as much as you like without alarm going off, and as long as you still press little one before turning ignition on to ride it again you'll be fine.

Paivi
17-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all your kind words/downloads. I'll try again. And Paivi, my bike was not brand spanking new, just "as new" with only a very few miles on the clock, so second hand.
Yeah, but when I bought mine in April 2006, I had the System 4 installed, so whoever bought yours originally was a bit short changed, methinks. Probably the dealer wanted to clear the stocks and sold the old ones first.

Sqwifeve
18-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Okay, now very bad news!

I thought I'd try the bike again as I haven't tried since the alarm thing. It won't start, it's completely dead, no start up lights, nothing. What have we done? Would the battery be dead from the alarm going off? The fuses are all fine.

granite785
19-04-2007, 11:22 AM
The System 3 is terrible at draining the battery.
I have a optimate thing that i keep connected when not using the bike. It is a trickle charger so keeps the battery in top condition. There is a connection already on the bike to the battery. Moto Rapido fit them as standard on the Ducatis. Its on the right hand side hidden behind the frame.
Hopefully all you need to do is charge the battery.
I've got one on my 695 which i got from Moto Rapido too. I'm a bit gutted that they never mentioned the system 4 though, that model sounds so much better.
Has your tax arrived yet? I do know that Moto Rapido did everything in their power to get hold of the previous owner as that was me! The DVLA took ages to send me the letter saying I was no longer the owner.
Any questions on the bike PM me and I'll fill you in, even though I never had it very long. I have now done more miles on my new bike in only a month, than i had on the old one in 6 months!!!
I'm glad that someone else is able to get some enjoyment out of the bike, at last.
I hope you are having fun and staying rubber side down.

banditloon
19-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Reading this thread just makes me remember why I have no alarms fitted to any of my bikes....... Damn complicated trickery :chuckle:

Sqwifeve
19-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Grant,

Thanks for the bike. Not that I've ridden it much yet because no, I've still not got any tax! They did say they'd pay any fine but I'm not so happy about riding without it. I'm also waiting to get back to my training but they won't let me without tax.

I used it to go to the Ducati day on Easter Sunday, and I've been back to Motorapido to try to get it lowered a bit more until they sculpt my seat more. Then the thing died and it looks like the battery is dead. We found the optimate connector today so have plugged it in but there was only 2 volts showing beforehand! They said someone would ring back but they haven't.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new bike. I may just take you up on your offer of info about the bike. Cheers, Eve.

Albie
19-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Mine on the 748 has a button that turns on the hazard lights. I didn't know Ducati's even had hazard lights but apparently the alarm is configured for it. Its amazing the number of times I pass people then get flashed and warned that my hazards are flashing. Difficult to put the fob anywhere other than on a fob round my neck cos my leathers only have one pocket in and thats for phone and money!!

Thats interesting about the hazard flashers. I have a datatool alarm so maybe I have them. good in an emergency

Sqwifeve
20-04-2007, 04:52 PM
In fairness to MotoRapido, someone did ring back on the mobile which was on silent as I was in a meeting all afternoon, not on the land line which Steve was waiting for at home.

When he phoned today, they still haven't got back to the DVLA which I'm annoyed about, but the bike still wasn't charged enough to start. But when Dr Desmo rang and chatted to Steve, he said put the fuse back in ( Steve took it out although the battery still wouldn't stop!) and hoorah! The bike started again. Now I've got to go back to collect my extra sculpted seat at another £70 apparently. I hope they are going to pay for the transfer of the datatool warrenty( £30) because it seems more bloody trouble than it's worth.